Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 12:38 PM

15 posts, read 15,577 times

Advertisements

My wife and I currently own a 1997 Honda Civic DX 4 door with approx 120K miles on it. We just moved out of NYC and feel we may need a second car. Considering the age of our current car which is in decent condition, should we buy a beater car for a second vehicle or spend more to buy a new or late model used car and use the Civic for our second car? I'm leaning towards a newer car as we have a infant child and the Civic doesn't have the latest and greatest in safety features, plus it's beginning to show its age.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2014, 12:51 PM

1,218 posts, read 3,472,570 times
If it's a second car maybe lease a cheap new car?

Old 01-02-2014, 12:58 PM

425 posts, read 647,579 times
Just buy a 3-4 year old car that is bigger and has the curtain side airbags. No need to buy a new car. You don't say your budget but if you are east coast I would get an AWD car if you plan on driving around more.

Old 01-02-2014, 01:06 PM
C8N

1,119 posts, read 3,228,257 times
If you have an infant on the way, downgrade the civic to 2nd status and buy a newer larger car.
Believe me... you are going to take a trip to the emergency room (most likely for non-serious issues) a few times and you will want a dependable car that will start right up the first time.

Old 01-02-2014, 01:26 PM

1,030 posts, read 4,278,662 times
If the Civic has been maintained properly, That thing has many many miles of life on it... Enough life to pass on to your child when they turn 16...

I never understood why people automatically think they need to get a "safer" car when they have a child on the way. Ive been raising children practically my whole life and it still doesn't make sense. The thought of having a safer car sounds good, but that doesnt mean youre absolutely safe. I know, I know, parents want the very best for their child

Cars just have more airbags now. The best you can do is drive safe instead of being a moron on the road. Accidents are unpreventable and the best you can do is avoid them.

The only real solution is to not drive the child around in a car all the time, until they are older.

I know my opinion may be out of whack but thats just how I feel. I know a bunch of new parents and they got new cars.

Bottom line, A car is always going to be a car youre taking a chance no matter what youre driving. A new car feels nice though, but it seems theres so many maintenance hurdles and problems when cars are new.

Old 01-02-2014, 01:42 PM

15 posts, read 15,577 times
Our child is 6 months old. The civic starts and runs fine but is showing her age. We didn't drive her much while living in NYC but we now live in Northern New Jersey and my wife will have to take the car to get to her job on weekends which will leave me with a baby and no vehicle for emergencies or even to run errands.

I suppose my fear is that if we spend 5k on a second car the Civic will soon die on us and we would have to buy another car anyway. I know cars last longer now a days but the Civic is 17 years old!

Old 01-02-2014, 01:50 PM

1,030 posts, read 4,278,662 times
120k miles on a civic is pretty much just getting broken in lol.

Civics are everywhere and parts arent to demanding on the wallet. They are VERY simple to work on yourself and thats why I like them personally. Simplicity is a good thing, something that new cars just dont have.

I think by safer, you mean you want a bigger heavier car, like a full size sedan or something. Are there any makes you happen to like or ones that you want to avoid?

Are you car savvy?

Old 01-02-2014, 01:58 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,137,817 times
You don't NEED a second car but if you WANT a second car then state your budget.

Old 01-02-2014, 02:12 PM

11,761 posts, read 14,659,204 times
What you're doing makes sense. With two drivers and both child care and work demands it makes sense to have two cars in the suburbs.

It sounds as though you like your Honda just fine, which is a good thing because Hondas are both reliable and economical. You could get a new, or new-ish, Civic or Accord to be your primary vehicle and you'll do just fine. Same with a Corolla or Camry. I do not think you need AWD in northern New Jersey.

Old 01-02-2014, 02:47 PM

45 posts, read 53,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justtherejames View Post
Our child is 6 months old. The civic starts and runs fine but is showing her age. We didn't drive her much while living in NYC but we now live in Northern New Jersey and my wife will have to take the car to get to her job on weekends which will leave me with a baby and no vehicle for emergencies or even to run errands.

I suppose my fear is that if we spend 5k on a second car the Civic will soon die on us and we would have to buy another car anyway. I know cars last longer now a days but the Civic is 17 years old!
Most people on this forum are going to tell you not to get a second car or to get a second older car. For $5000 your probably going to get a civic that is just a few years younger than your present car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive