Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2013, 03:16 PM

4,330 posts, read 7,242,167 times

Advertisements

I live in a city that now has a population in excess of one million. IIRC, it was around 1970 when some gas stations here began rolling out "self-serve islands", where customers could pump their own gas and save a penny or two a gallon, over their full-serve islands.

40+ years later, full-service stations are virtually extinct in the same city. In fact I can only thing of three, and they are the only ones I know of that are also the traditional type service stations, with full-service gas, along with service bays. All three are located in what I would call upscale "old money" neighborhoods.

Everything else is pretty much a self-serve fuel island outside a convenience, grocery, or discount department store.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2013, 03:17 PM

2,754 posts, read 7,426,540 times
Default RE: How many people still don't know how to pump gas?

I didn't know this was even a thing. I suppose if they don't drive, I could understand.

Old 11-21-2013, 04:11 PM

19,137 posts, read 25,345,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
Oh - LOL! I forgot that there are still a couple of states where you cannot pump your own gas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHavensFinest View Post
Ive had workers at gas pumps in NJ start screaming at me as I went to pump my own gas.... I chuckled in shock and asked if he was serious. I wonder if they offer a hand for a wad of TP as well?

I dont mean to sound disrespectful towards these workers because its a job. I thanked him, but I was dumbfounded as I remembered NJ was like that and why it is still like that....?
All I can say is that I live in NJ, and I almost always pump my own gas.
Not only do the attendants NOT scream at me, but--in fact--they almost always thank me for doing it.

Why do I pump my own gas?
Because...
...I don't want the gas cap bounced off of my fender. I know enough to hang the gas cap's tether from the hook that the mfr provided, but many gas jockeys don't know (or care) about this detail.
...I don't want any additional gas put into my tank after the pump clicks off.

Forcing additional gas into the tank may wind up causing a spill onto your rear fender, thus marring your nice wax job, and--more importantly--has the potential to cause liquid gasoline to flow into the evaporative emissions system's carbon canister, thereby leading to BIG repair costs.

My cars look showroom-new after as long as 10 years, and if I allowed gas jockeys to spill gas on my fender or bounce the gas cap off of the fender, this would not be the case. Yes, I could sit passively on my butt and allow a gas jockey to do the job, but...Why should I when I can do it...faster...neater...and with no damage to either my paint or my evaporative emissions system?

I frequently hear people say that you are, "prohibited", from pumping your own gas in NJ.
My response to those folks is...Can you cite even one instance of somebody being arrested or otherwise placed in legal jeopardy, simply because he took control of the situation and pumped his own gas?

Nobody ever seems to be able to provide any factual data on people who...got into trouble...for pumping their own gas in NJ, so I have to conclude that the sheeple who sit on their butts while the gas jockeys mistreat their cars are afraid of...nothing.

Yes, there are many stations where the attendant has to begin the fueling process by first swiping his own card, before he swipes your credit card. However, I have already removed and secured my gas cap properly before this guy even gets to my car, and after he starts the pump, I inform him that, "I will finish it up, so you don't need to come back". Nobody has ever complained, nobody has ever told me that I am not permitted to do this, and most of them seem very happy that I am willing to do it myself.

Old 11-21-2013, 05:37 PM

11,350 posts, read 16,717,087 times
We don't pump gas n NJ...period.

Last edited by camaro69; 11-21-2013 at 06:59 PM..

Old 11-21-2013, 06:41 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,397,970 times
I have never heard of this. Wtf?

Old 11-21-2013, 07:22 PM

7,520 posts, read 13,634,207 times
Re New Jersey, this quote from
Department of Labor and Workforce Development | Retail Gasoline Dispensing Safety Act and Regulations

"34:3A-6. Dispensing of fuel; regulations

It shall be unlawful for any attendant to:

a. Dispense fuel into the tank of a motor vehicle while the vehicle's engine is in operation;

b. Dispense fuel into any portable container not in compliance with regulations adopted pursuant to section 8 of this act;

c. Dispense fuel while smoking; or

d. Permit any person who is not an attendant to dispense fuel into the tank of a motor vehicle or any container."

Old 11-21-2013, 07:46 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,187,630 times
These anti-self serve gasoline starts are simply forcing the economy to employ more people. In other words the only real purpose is to create jobs. But to pay for all these attendants the service station has to pay more money.

Old 11-21-2013, 09:30 PM

48 posts, read 78,253 times
In NJ the price of gas is typically less than in our neighboring states. I LOVE not having to get out of the car, especially in bad weather, when my kids are in the car, or late at night.

Old 11-22-2013, 07:14 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,867,662 times
My mom doesn't have a debit card, has never taken cash out via an ATM as far as I know.

I would say that it is common in NJ for there to only be 1 attendant at an entire gas station-- you need 1 person staffed if it's self serve or full service anyway.

Old 11-22-2013, 07:17 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,157,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjcp1123 View Post
In NJ the price of gas is typically less than in our neighboring states. I LOVE not having to get out of the car, especially in bad weather, when my kids are in the car, or late at night.
That is because NJ has one of the lowest taxes on gas in the country. I realize saying low tax and NJ in the same sentence might be hard to believe, but it is true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive