Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2013, 01:37 PM

130 posts, read 426,408 times

Advertisements

I tried putting those on the Florida Section but only had one kind person reply, so hoping this side gets more input.

Hi Everyone,

I need some advice again and wanted to find out where would be the most reasonable place to purchase a car in good condition, nothing fancy or expensive in the Volusia County area.

Also I do not drive and have never had a license so my sister would be using it to take me to work and run errands for us in addition going to her day treatment program 3 times a week. I cannot put the car in her name because she is on SSI for Schizophrenia.

Would I be able to buy it and put her as the driver, she is a good driver and has had a license for 10 years without even a ticket.

Thank you and I really appreciate the input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2013, 11:34 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,131,339 times
For used cars, it's best to look for private party sales (craigslist, autotrader, etc). This means you'll have to do the legwork in having the car checked out before buying but at least you won't be at the mercy of a used car dealer.

You will be the owner of the car and should list your sister as the main driver on your car insurance policy.

Old 11-23-2013, 11:43 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,554,229 times
Are you paying cash? Have you figured out the insurance aspect yet? She will have to be on your policy if she doesn't have insurance of her own. If I am not mistaken,, you will need a license to get plates and possibly even insurance. Do your homework before diving into this. If your sis has had a license for 10 years, why can't she own a car? Having SSI for whatever means nothing for owning a car unless the courts and doctors say so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive