Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2013, 05:18 PM

1,218 posts, read 3,469,529 times

Advertisements

My headlight ballast and bulb blew out after I think snow melting and water getting in the crack. I just found out there was a crack today but it is barely visible. I just replaced the lightbulbt and got it working again but for the future would some painters tape over the crack work?

If it matters it's a 2009 370Z
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2013, 05:22 PM

2,341 posts, read 12,042,755 times
SuperGlue, or a fine bead of clear silicone caulk.

Old 12-21-2013, 05:31 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,424,594 times
^^ Yeah, I have a crack in one of the side markers on my Jeep that ended up blowing the bulb and causing all sorts of electrical issues with the turn signals. All I did was fill it with clear silicone.

No issues since.

Old 12-21-2013, 05:41 PM

1,218 posts, read 3,469,529 times
Thanks to both of you! Would the painters tape be a good temporary fix? Just curious as I have an unsteady hand haha

Old 12-21-2013, 05:54 PM

2,341 posts, read 12,042,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cats234 View Post
Thanks to both of you! Would the painters tape be a good temporary fix? Just curious as I have an unsteady hand haha
Are you talking about the blue masking tape?

Basically, your need is to keep moisture out of the headlight assembly. Anyway you can do that, without obstructing the light, will be good enough until you can get the SuperGlue or Silicone in there.

Old 12-21-2013, 05:57 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,626,379 times
Don't y'all have issues with the heat of the lamp degrading the adhesive? Does it last well?

Old 12-21-2013, 06:01 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,424,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
Don't y'all have issues with the heat of the lamp degrading the adhesive? Does it last well?
Well, mine is on a side marker so it isn't nearly as hot, but the bulb is damned near touching the lens. It's been thru two really hot summers and one really cold winter with no issues.

Old 12-21-2013, 06:16 PM

503 posts, read 1,204,214 times
I agree with the others that say clear silicone. The area you put silicone on should be cleaned first.

Old 12-21-2013, 07:54 PM

19,024 posts, read 27,585,087 times
Silicone softens and melts away from ambient temperature and oncoming air flow. Don't askl me how I know. Plenty of heat is produced by any light bulb, simply touch any lens by hand with lights on.
Super glue deteriorates and peels off very fast. I use cyanoacrylates, aka super glues, in various foprms, in my trade almost weekly and am well familiar with them. For starters, any crack in polycarbonate, for SG to stick, needs to be deepened/widened, and surface roughened for SG to stick. Also, surface must be absolutely grease/oil free, so do your work in gloves. I do heartily recommend use of ZipKicker or equivalent SG promoter. But I guarantee you that is rather short period of time, SG will turn white, milky, sor tof bubbly and will start peeling off.
The only chemical I can recommend for polycarbonate or plastic crack filler is acrylic resin. That is what is used in windshield repair kits and, if properly applied, is flexible and much more durable fix. All precautions mentioned above should be followed. As I do work with acrylics and esters too, even more.
There is a much stronger compound made by Fabtech, quick set 2 part resin, that holds like crazy, but it is not clear. Yet, extremely durable and strong. We have patients walking on components bonded together with that resin, and it never fails. But you can not buy it outside of our suppliers.
You can use this:
Loctite Epoxy Quick Set from Loctite Adhesives
but again, crack has to be enlarged, and filled. Will leave a non-opaque line, but it will be absolutely durable and sealed.
Good luck. Don't do half arsed jobs with occasional materials.

Old 12-21-2013, 09:36 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,469,568 times
My solution: put a strip of clear packing tape over the crack. I've had that tape stay on for a couple of years. If it starts to come off, just peel it off and put another strip on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive