Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2013, 11:28 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,164,646 times

Advertisements

I have two work vans; the '03 E150 is fine with all-season tires on bad roads.
However, this summer I bought a 99 Chevy Astro as a second work van and I don't know if it's the high center of gravity or short wheelbase or what but it is very squirrely on ice and snow. I put new all-seasons on it in October, but am considering winter tires.
A little online research keeps leading me to Bridgestone Blizzaks. Not prohibitively expensive and seem to get good ratings. Good choice? Any better choices?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2014, 07:08 AM

19,128 posts, read 25,341,241 times
The top-rated winter tires are all of the various versions of the Michelin X-Ice tire. Whether any of the various versions come in the size needed for your van is another issue, however.

In addition to incredible traction on ice as well as on snow, the Michelin winter tires all have much longer tread life than their competitors. As a result, what might look like a more expensive tire is actually cheaper in the long run, due to the longer tread life.

So, if you can get Michelin X-Ice tires that will fit that van, I believe that they would be your best choice.

Old 01-01-2014, 07:36 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,003,003 times
I had a set of Alpine Pirellis on a VW once. They were awesome. The treads were just thick transverse bands, equivalent to rubber chains, and rippled loudly on the highway. The bottom of a VW is like a toboggan, and the Pirellis dug in and pushed it right across the snow.

In the 50's, trucks ran on snow tires that had round rubber cleats, and were so noisy on the highway, you could hear one whining from ten miles away on a still cold night with bare pavement.

Old 01-01-2014, 08:35 AM

25 posts, read 41,983 times
I second the recommendation for the Michelin X-Ice tires. I have them on my Subaru. That car is unstoppable and really feels connected to the road in bad winter weather. A less expensive option is the Firestone Winterforce. I have them on our other Subaru and they work really well too (although their ice capabilities are not as great as the Michelins). One advantage of the Firestones is that they can be studded (if you live in a place that allows that). That would really be fantastic in any winter weather.

Something else to keep in mind is winter tires have an advantage even when the roads are dry as their rubber compound is more flexible in cold temperatures than an all season tire.

Old 01-01-2014, 08:47 AM

19,128 posts, read 25,341,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bytrnsd View Post
Something else to keep in mind is winter tires have an advantage even when the roads are dry as their rubber compound is more flexible in cold temperatures than an all season tire.

That is an excellent point that most people are probably not aware of.

The good news is that this quality aids winter traction, even if there is no ice or snow.
The bad news is that this quality also accelerates tread wear, but as long as car owners remove their winter tires as soon as the threat of snow is ended for the season, most drivers can get 3 seasons (or possibly more) from their winter tires--especially if they buy the top-rated, longer-wearing Michelins.

Old 01-01-2014, 08:53 AM

3,135 posts, read 11,896,205 times
Trade it for an Astro with AWD? RWD isn't worth messing with when you have to drive a lot and live in the snow belt.

I had Blizzaks on a '06 TrailBlazer SS with 200lb of sand in the back. Sill sucked in the snow but was better than top of the line Michelin A/S. I now stick to AWD/4x4 and top of the line all seasons.

Old 01-01-2014, 09:29 AM

2,025 posts, read 4,177,784 times
Nokian I-Pikes, simply an awesome tire, they stick well and wear well. I had a studded set on a volvo V50 and found them unstoppable.

Old 01-01-2014, 09:40 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,326,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomadAK View Post
Nokian I-Pikes, simply an awesome tire, they stick well and wear well. I had a studded set on a volvo V50 and found them unstoppable.
Agreed most cars and that drive through the Rockies here in the PNW tend to be spilt between Blizzacks and Nokian tires with a few using other brands that cost less but are adequate depending on weather conditions and temperatures.

Old 01-01-2014, 11:26 AM

872 posts, read 1,263,581 times
I can vouch for the Blizzaks. They are a good tire, and TireRack occasionally runs promotions for Bridgestone tires (rebates, gift cards, etc.).

Old 01-01-2014, 11:40 AM

11,761 posts, read 14,659,204 times
We see these posts all the time. You should definitely have snows, not all-season tires.

From there, word of mouth is not as good as test results, so check Tire Rack and Consumer Reports. It's worth a lot more than individual opinions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive