Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 08:01 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,811,272 times

Advertisements

I have a steep 300 ft driveway that is often icy during the winter. My wife and I both have heavy vehicles that are AWD so we haven't lost traction driving up when it's icy or has a foot of snow. This weekend we had 1" of snow. Our friend came to visit and she couldn't make it up the driveway in her little Mazda 3. We spent 15 min trying to drive it up the hill, but the little POS kept sliding back down. I don't know if it's because it's FWD or because it weighs 1 ton less than either of our vehicles. How do people with compact FWD cars deal with New England weather? I'm sure it's fine on flat roads, but I can't imagine being stopped uphill at a red light driving one of those things.

Also some advice on how we can invite our friends over during the winter would be appreciated. We have a large flat area with room for 10 cars near our garage, but the problem is getting a compact car up the hill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2014, 08:06 AM

16,669 posts, read 17,433,087 times
Offer a taxi service in one of your AWD vehicles from the parking at the bottom to your house at the top.

Simple.

Old 01-21-2014, 08:09 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,471,711 times
How steep is the driveway? I can drive my FWD car (a Prius) with stock all-season tires up a 7%-8% grade in very slick conditions without problem. I suspect that lack of winter driving experience may be the problem with your friend. If the FWD driver plans on encountering slick roads often, then running on dedicated winter tires will really help. My experience has been that a FWD car with traction control and dedicated winter tires will perform nearly as well as an AWD or 4WD as long as the snow depth on the road is not greater than the minimum ground clearance of the vehicle. For the record, I have been driving in adverse winter conditions in the Rockies for over 40 years--an area where dealing with slick roads on steep grades is common.

Old 01-21-2014, 08:16 AM

2,341 posts, read 12,044,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
I have a steep 300 ft driveway that is often icy during the winter. My wife and I both have heavy vehicles that are AWD so we haven't lost traction driving up when it's icy or has a foot of snow. This weekend we had 1" of snow. Our friend came to visit and she couldn't make it up the driveway in her little Mazda 3. We spent 15 min trying to drive it up the hill, but the little POS kept sliding back down. I don't know if it's because it's FWD or because it weighs 1 ton less than either of our vehicles. How do people with compact FWD cars deal with New England weather? I'm sure it's fine on flat roads, but I can't imagine being stopped uphill at a red light driving one of those things.

Also some advice on how we can invite our friends over during the winter would be appreciated. We have a large flat area with room for 10 cars near our garage, but the problem is getting a compact car up the hill.
Put a 55 gallon drum full of gravel out there by the steep part. Toss on driveway as needed.

Old 01-21-2014, 08:19 AM

262 posts, read 606,923 times
I drive a mazda 3 with all season tires. I haven't had any trouble with it so far, and I've had it for almost 8 years.

Taxi service may be a good idea

Old 01-21-2014, 08:27 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,687,668 times
How steep is steep? There shouldn't be any reason the car can't get up a regular road grade type of incline even in the snow. Assuming we aren't talking an extreme grade and assuming that the car had tires in good shape; the first thing I would do is make sure the traction control is off as that will hurt you climbing the grade. Outside of that, some gravel or kitty litter is going to be the only way to get over tough spots.

Old 01-21-2014, 08:27 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
I recommend four decent snow tires on any vehicle in the New England winter. Studded tires are only needed where ice is common. All four tires should be the same to avoid hazardous handling in slippery conditions.

Your friend probably had worn down 4 season tires on her car. I have found the quality and tread design of the tire is more important than the type of vehicle - AWD, FWD or 4WD.

Old 01-21-2014, 08:32 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,687,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I recommend four decent snow tires on any vehicle in the New England winter. Studded tires are only needed where ice is common. All four tires should be the same to avoid hazardous handling in slippery conditions.

Your friend probably had worn down 4 season tires on her car. I have found the quality and tread design of the tire is more important than the type of vehicle - AWD, FWD or 4WD.
That's the most likely scenario.

Old 01-21-2014, 08:47 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,811,272 times
There is one stretch in the middle that is very steep, approximately 20 foot rise over 80 feet. Her wheels start spinning out during this stretch, then her car literally slides backwards about 10 feet. I happened to notice she had low profile Bridgestone Potenzas, but I didn't see the tread depth. I think you guys are right - her tires were probably bald. I did get into her car and tried myself without any luck, but it has a standard transmission so I couldn't control the wheel speed as precisely as I would've liked considering I had never driven it before.

I will look into getting a drum of gravel, but I fear it will get pricey since my plow guy will clear most of the gravel along with the snow every time he comes.

Old 01-21-2014, 09:01 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,655,128 times
You could put down some kind of melting material just at the steepest section, although that will get pricey too if you need it often.

In the case of this one car, I suspect the tires more than anything. I have an uphill grade to my driveway and drive a light FWD car. The tires aren't too low profile on my old car, only 55 section on 15" wheel. And only 195 wide, which isn't too too wide. (Many tires these days are a little wider than that; narrower and taller is better for snow.) I can get stuck, but not in 1". Although, here's another thing, if you have already packed the snow with your own cars, it will make it that much harder for another car to get up.

The weight is by far a secondary factor. Most of the weight in a FWD is over the drive wheels anyway, usually about 60% or so.

Probably the tires were fairly low on tread. Even pretty hard compound all seasons should not get stuck in 1" of snow. The Potenzas are likely pretty bad in snow in general, but if they were new they probably would have had enough tread to get through that little bit.

With a stick, you want the highest gear possible without stalling, in my experience. Lugging the engine more is preferable as long as you don't lose your forward momentum. There's a reason that even automatic transmissions are sometimes programmed to start in 2nd gear in winter. If going fast enough through there you might even be able to keep in 3rd, but at least 2nd.

A variety of factors at play. An additional one is again even if it was only this car that packed down the snow, it still would make it more difficult for subsequent tries having already packed it down before. Packed snow is a whole different thing to drive on vs fresh snow in the driveway. Here perhaps is where the lighter weight of a smaller vehicle comes more into play.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive