Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 07:56 PM

1,275 posts, read 1,249,029 times

Advertisements

It could be the main power supply relay that powers the engine control computer. They rarely fail but when they do, they can leave you stranded. Sometimes they will just fail intermittently, so kind of hard to troubleshoot. But they are pretty cheap to replace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2017, 01:09 PM

1 posts, read 615 times
I have a 1991 chevy caprice and every time I go down the like 50mph and then it drops down to like 30 and finally shuts off and then about 10 mins I crank it back up and do the same thing over and over. What is the problem

Old 05-09-2017, 02:09 PM

2,114 posts, read 2,345,804 times
I owned a 1993 Eagle vision that would suddenly stop running at highway speed. If I pulled off the highway, shut the engine off and started the car again, it would run fine. The problem was a faulty crankshaft sensor. It sent a reading to the computer that convinced it that the engine was running hard enough to sling itself apart, which triggered a self-preservation mode that killed the engine.

Old 08-06-2017, 09:49 AM

1 posts, read 538 times
2010 grand caravan se when i use cruise and then brake the car chugs and then stalls ,what do you think?

Old 08-12-2017, 12:56 PM

1 posts, read 512 times
I have a 2001 ford expedition and it will drive for about 30 min. Then die I can let it sit for about hour then it will go again for about 10 to 15 min.what can that be?

Old 08-12-2017, 12:57 PM

1,875 posts, read 1,326,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momrobare View Post
Hi
I have a 2000 Oldsmobile Alero. She starts and runs great. She runs for short trips around town at 30 mph. However, three times on longer trips (one the car was definitely running at 55 mph with cruise control on) she just cut out. No warning...no chugging, hiccupping, bucking etc. She just quit. The first time my nephew was driving and she died. Some guy stopped and (I think) he blew air out of the gas lines. We put in dry gas. The next time same nephew took it was going about 40mph and decided to turn around because the winter storm had made the roads so bad...he just got turned around and she died. The third time, the mechanic at the shop took her for drive outside of town. He was going around 55 and decided to turn around...he went about 500 feet and she died! Because the check engine light isn't on...the machine won't read a problem. Besides dry gas, she has been given a full tune up including the fuel filter. The mechanic also exchanged the horn relay with another relay. I am afraid to drive this car right now because there is no definite problem. I've been told it could be: fuel pump, fuel injector, oxygen sensor, electrical...in short they don't know. My mechanic says if it was the fuel pump it would start maybe once after she died but not all the time like she does. Any help will be appreciated. I am 57 years old and not in the best of health and I live near Buffalo, NY so the weather isn't the greatest right now to get stranded. Thank you. Sincerely Helen

Torque Converter Clutch Solenoid
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive