Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2014, 06:07 PM

874 posts, read 1,648,800 times

Advertisements

I know, right? Why waste money on gas mileage when you can have a nice little smart car like this here?

Old 02-14-2014, 06:28 PM

2,222 posts, read 2,345,556 times
A 6' X 8' trailer is really the way to go. You can leave it at home until you need it or you can rent one if you don't do a lot of hauling.

You can even pull it with a car.

Old 02-14-2014, 06:50 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
I just don't get it. People buy these huge trucks and then use them to commute in etc. They seem like such as waste of vehicle. Sure, they are great for going to home depot a couple times a year or moving large furniture, but what about the other 360 days a year?
You are correct. I had a friend from Germany in town and he asked, why are there so many empty pickup trucks driving around? I just said, it is a status symbol and really most aren't used at all. They are stupid for most all people. They don't handle well, don't brake well and really are horrible in most everything unless you need to haul something. Judging by the countless empty pickups all over the place, they aren't used much. Better off driving a good car for safety of yourself and others and renting a pickup if you need it. Way cheaper and way more intelligent. The German guy laughed and said, there aren't many real drivers in the US I guess. How could one drive such a thing all the time if they were a "driver". I just laughed with him as we cruised down the road in my Audi which is 100 times any pickup if you are a "driver".

Old 02-14-2014, 06:57 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,105,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgianbelle View Post
I get the truck thing. They are fun, especially the big ones with oversize tires....lol. I don't get the who smart car thing. Imagine what will happen when the big truck hits the smart car. I would rather be in the truck.....wouldn't you?
I would rather prevent the accident from happening in the first place.

Old 02-14-2014, 07:08 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,105,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinfshr View Post
Does it really bother you? Why care? It's called personal choice and shouldn't concern anybody except the ones buying them.

With that line of thought, why spend more money on something good to eat when rice and beans is enough? It all makes a turd!
It's called exercising my freedom of speech as guaranteed to every American by this wonderful document called the United States Constitution. You don't have to like what I say but you have to respect my right to say it. If you don't like it, then maybe you don't understand or respect what it truly means to be an American.

Old 02-14-2014, 07:27 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
You are correct. I had a friend from Germany in town and he asked, why are there so many empty pickup trucks driving around? I just said, it is a status symbol and really most aren't used at all. They are stupid for most all people. They don't handle well, don't brake well and really are horrible in most everything unless you need to haul something. Judging by the countless empty pickups all over the place, they aren't used much. Better off driving a good car for safety of yourself and others and renting a pickup if you need it. Way cheaper and way more intelligent. The German guy laughed and said, there aren't many real drivers in the US I guess. How could one drive such a thing all the time if they were a "driver". I just laughed with him as we cruised down the road in my Audi which is 100 times any pickup if you are a "driver".
Yea, as if Germany does not produce anything for status.

Apply your, and other posters criteria for a car, we should all be driving boxes that do not go over 70mph. Anything would be exceeding the utility purpose of a car.

As far as the "real drivers" comment; I am sure it takes more real driving to drive a truck, than a high suspension tuned car. After all, if trucks "don't handle well, don't brake well and really are horrible in most everything unless you need to haul something.", it would take a good driver to manage those things.

Old 02-14-2014, 07:46 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,364,652 times
...I love driving my boyfriends Ford Lightning.... nice truck for sure. His Silverado is great. Lots of room, rides nice. Before he got me my new Grand Cherokee we took it on all of our road trips...

We also take it grocery shopping. Plenty of room. It has also been on a road trip with five people in it. It has no less room than a car.

Old 02-14-2014, 08:25 PM

472 posts, read 740,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
I drive a truck for many reasons...

2. I'm 6'3 and I don't feel comfortable in most cars. They are also so low to the ground I basically have to roll out and stand up and that hurts my back after awhile. I can easily step right out of my truck.

It's funny I often wonder "what's the point of owning a $400 "smart" phone.

I had to laugh a bit at this. I thought I was the only one with that method of egress from sedans (I am 6"4 and have been referred to as "elderly" lately).
When my Seville at 217000 miles started making expensive noises, I started looking for transport and had a few REQUIRED features.
1. Vehicle MUST fit me. (Don't have to roll out - don't have to climb down to get in or up to exit)
2. Vehicle MUST fit my garage (I'm not fixin' to park $30,000 in the driveway).
3. Vehicle MUST have modern electronic conveniences.
4. Vehicle MUST be able to comfortably carry at least 4 adult occupants.
5. Vehicle MUST have reasonable covered cargo area. (ability to carry upright cargo such as
refrigerator, etc.)
6. Would be really nice if it rode pretty much a comfortably as a sedan.

After searching a while it seemed to me that a Dodge Dakota Quad Cab with all the bells and whistles was the only thing that fit. So for the past 125,000 miles I've been very happy with my four door sedan with a big trunk.

Old 02-14-2014, 11:29 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,834,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
How could one drive such a thing all the time if they were a "driver". I just laughed with him as we cruised down the road in my Audi which is 100 times any pickup if you are a "driver".
And here I am laughing at you two, thinking cruising down the road in an Audi is "driving". How quaint

Nope, real drivers know pickups are for towing the race car/shifter kart/super sport/dirt bike/snowmobile etc to the OHV area or the track. That's where you can do your thing without loosing your license or killing yourself or others. That's where the real drivers play. Not on the street with an overweight, under powered, over-priced commuter car.

No, the real drivers are not sitting on comfortable leather seats, listening to the radio and enjoying the AC. They are stuffed into a full face helmet, neck brace and a nomex suit, sweating their ass off.

Old 02-14-2014, 11:54 PM

834 posts, read 1,217,855 times
I'm a farmer. Wouldn't be able to do my work without my Toyota Tundra. The bed is rarely empty. The truck shows use. Dirt, dings, and scratches are a badge of honor. Bought it brand new & will drive it till it falls apart. Then buy the same model, same year used from one of those guys who kept his shiny and drove it to the mall and office only. My old one will have plenty of spare parts to give. Everyone will be happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive