Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2014, 07:24 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,263,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
Why drive a truck? So when some idiot in a car paying more attention to his phone or GPS than the road crosses the center line I still get to go home..
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
So what about the drunk guy in a truck that crosses the center line and kills a family in a car? I guess the family should have been in a truck too?
People who drive while drunk or while playing with their gadgets are idiots who put everyone in danger whether they're driving a truck or a car, and in my experience they are just as likely to be driving one as the other. So can we please stop the pissing contest and keep the debate focused on valid points?

If not, I'd say this thread has run its course and should probably be locked.

Old 02-19-2014, 07:48 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,167,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by everwinter View Post
Hopefully this isn't too off the main topic & if so the moderator can delete it. This article made me think about this thread and my earlier ideas about the necessity of government involvement with truck standards since it's very unlikely that American consumers will change their ways. Therefore, it's about time this standard has happened.

This is good news for truckers. Saves money, uses less gas, & less gas emissions will produced. A win-win-win situation. Sadly this doesn't go into effect until vehicles made after the model year 2018.

Obama Wants Tougher Fuel Standards For Big Trucks : The Two-Way : NPR
Did you read the article? It applies only to trucks that weigh more than 8500 lbs. Not many personal trucks fit in that category. A 3/4 ton or 1 ton truck, depending on configuration, weighs about 6000 lbs.

If truck buyers want to save money, they can choose to do so. They certainly don't need the feds mandating it.

Old 02-19-2014, 07:49 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,167,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
While this is true in this case....there are plenty of pickup crashes (some with fatalities) because it is a tall, heavy vehicle that doesn't turn/brake as good as a car....

Dodge Ram SRT 10 Burnout and Roll Over Crash - YouTube
Jeeps do the same thing - perhaps more often.

Old 02-19-2014, 07:52 AM

5,779 posts, read 14,573,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
I just don't get it. People buy these huge trucks and then use them to commute in etc. They seem like such as waste of vehicle. Sure, they are great for going to home depot a couple times a year or moving large furniture, but what about the other 360 days a year?

All people are doing is hauling around a giant cargo beds everywhere they go that is mostly empty, meanwhile, the usable part of the truck is just not very user friendly for normal day to day living (grocery shopping, commuting etc).

And you pay like twice as much in gas to haul around a cargo bed everywhere, take up two parking spots in urban areas etc.

I tried a truck once, bought a brand new Nissan Frontier extended cab. It was a nice truck, but completely worthless most of the time and traded it in after a year.

And the redneck trucks with all the big smokestacks and what not spewing black smoke???

If you are a contractor or something like that, I get having a big truck, but other than that, I just don't see why people like them.
Some people prefer trucks over cars. It's their money. If they want to get 11 mpg in an oversized Dodge Ram or Ford F-150, and commute 60 miles to work each way every day, that's their choice

And if they want to add semi-style smoke stacks that spew black smoke and kill the earth, that is also their choice

Why is it such a big deal to you?

Old 02-19-2014, 08:08 AM

4,666 posts, read 3,861,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Did you read the article? It applies only to trucks that weigh more than 8500 lbs. Not many personal trucks fit in that category. A 3/4 ton or 1 ton truck, depending on configuration, weighs about 6000 lbs.
Of course I read the article. This is a step in the right direction. It was also interesting to read the comments about the effects this may (or may not) have on trucking businesses.

Old 02-19-2014, 07:14 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,366,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
While this is true in this case....there are plenty of pickup crashes (some with fatalities) because it is a tall, heavy vehicle that doesn't turn/brake as good as a car....

Dodge Ram SRT 10 Burnout and Roll Over Crash - YouTube
There are idiots driving every vehicle and people manage to roll cars by themselves too. I can control not rolling the truck due to MY driving, but I can't do much about other peoples poor driving.

Old 02-26-2014, 10:37 AM

1,158 posts, read 1,736,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
Some people prefer trucks over cars. It's their money. If they want to get 11 mpg in an oversized Dodge Ram or Ford F-150, and commute 60 miles to work each way every day, that's their choice

And if they want to add semi-style smoke stacks that spew black smoke and kill the earth, that is also their choice

Why is it such a big deal to you?
Exactly, freedom of choice. It is also a way to make extra $$. My neighbor owns a pick-up. More often than not, a relative or neighbor will pay him to haul something.

Old 02-26-2014, 12:19 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,588,153 times
you're right I don't need no stinkin truck

Old 02-26-2014, 12:22 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,103,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinfshr View Post
Nope! So you can see the break lights of the cars stopping up ahead of the car in front of you in which the driver is texting and not paying attention or for some other reason wants to wait until the last second to stop. Just 1 example of why it's nice to see over and ahead of other traffic for safety.

Or how about the other idiots who go racing up to a car that's stopped or moving very slow in front of them and then suddenly whip around him at the last second making anyone following have to slam on their breaks because they thought all was clear up ahead.

See, sitting up higher I could have seen either of the cars up ahead so I could have started slowing down before the car in front of me did, therefore avoiding a possible accident.

It's nice to have a view of ALL traffic around you so you can have a better idea of everything that is going on so problems can be avoided.
How does that help, when the vehicle(s) in front of you and around you are not cars, but other trucks or SUVs, like yours?

Old 02-26-2014, 12:59 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,103,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Auto makers spend collectively hundreds of millions of dollars a year for image. Many industries collectively spend billions of dollars a year for image. This fact shows that image is a very important item to most of the world's population......
I think you have it backwards.

Image is important to most of the world's population because the advertisement and public relations firms, through repetitive and inundating commercials and product placement, have programmed them to believe it's important.

It's called conditioning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.