Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2014, 03:53 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,106,864 times

Advertisements

I can see both side of this debate.

The one side feels that anyone is free to buy any vehicle they want to buy because it's their right as Americans.

This statement is simple, straightforward, and factually true.

The other side feels that many people are buying vehicles that are wasteful because they are underutilized for their intended and designed purposes.

This statement is also simple, straightforward, and factually true.

Both sides are correct in their beliefs, so why all the hate and vitriol between the two groups?

Group one should buy what you want to buy but, at least, be honest with yourself and admit that unless you're a contractor, farmer, or someone else who truly has a need for a pickup (meaning you use the vehicle at least 50% of the time for its intended and designed purposes), you're probably wasting money. Of course, it is absolutely your right to waste your money, that's not the issue.

Group two needs to understand and accept that in this country, everyone can buy whatever vehicle they desire, regardless of whether or not it is underutilized, because we have the freedom to drive what we choose. We don't have to agree with anyone's choice but we have to respect it and not badger or browbeat them about it.

Mutual respect from both sides will go a long way.

Have a blessed day, folks.

Old 05-27-2014, 06:41 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,278,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
Group one should buy what you want to buy but, at least, be honest with yourself and admit that unless you're a contractor, farmer, or someone else who truly has a need for a pickup (meaning you use the vehicle at least 50% of the time for its intended and designed purposes), you're probably wasting money.
First of all, that is a made up number. Why do you apply this rule to cars only? What percentage of your home are you using for its intended purpose, which is inhabitation? Are ALL your rooms occupied ALL the time, or even 50% of the time? If so, you need to move to smaller house, and who does that?

Old 05-27-2014, 06:48 PM

1,846 posts, read 4,743,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Better yet, I love when someone justifies a huge SUV/truck for once or twice a year occasions.....

Got an F350 for Home Depot runs for mulch once a year......
Got a Suburban for when the extended family visits once a year at Spring Break.....

Fact is, unless you have a weekly use for big vehicles (like 3-4+ kids, some type of hauling/towing need or construction occupation) there are very few people that need these vehicles.
I agree

Old 05-28-2014, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
First of all, that is a made up number. Why do you apply this rule to cars only? What percentage of your home are you using for its intended purpose, which is inhabitation? Are ALL your rooms occupied ALL the time, or even 50% of the time? If so, you need to move to smaller house, and who does that?
Why are you so defensive, if what I said didn't have a modicum of truth in it that bothers you?

Stop trying to justify your feelings and acknowledge the truth in what I wrote.

If you (or anyone) uses a pickup truck to haul, carry or tow stuff only 5-10% of the time and the other 90-95% of the time the vehicle is being used for basic transportation, then, as a point of fact, driving it everyday is a huge waste of money because a more fuel-efficient vehicle makes more sense at least 90% of the time.

Perhaps the OP's question should have been worded differently:

Putting aside want or desire, is owning a pickup truck a practical or wise financial decision for most people and why?

Old 05-28-2014, 02:32 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,180,231 times
Quote:
Why are you so defensive, if what I said didn't have a modicum of truth in it that bothers you?

If you (or anyone) uses a pickup truck to haul, carry or tow stuff only 5-10% of the time and the other 90-95% of the time the vehicle is being used for basic transportation, then, as a point of fact, driving it everyday is a huge waste of money because a more fuel-efficient vehicle makes more sense at least 90% of the time.

Perhaps the OP's question should have been worded differently:

Putting aside want or desire, is owning a pickup truck a practical or wise financial decision for most people and why?
I have a 26 mile commute each way to work. The vast majority of vehicles I see have one person in them - the driver. A few have more than one - most likely to be a child - on his/her way to school.

The vehicles include pickups, Mercedes, Sentras, Prius, Porsche, Lexus, Suburban, etc.

Many of these vehicles are not practical for their 90% use - commuting. A Mercedes S-class uses just about as much fuel as a pickup. A Suburban is as big as a pickup. And many of these vehicles cost MUCH more than a pickup. Is a $80K Jaguar not practical too? Of course it is, but I assume the driver likes it.

Asserting that a pickup isn't a practical choice if it isn't regularly used as a truck is irrational unless you call to question every other vehicle that people buy even when they don't use its full functionality 90% of the time.

Old 05-28-2014, 03:50 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,273,013 times
Quote:

There's a big difference between 50% and 5-10%. I don't know what the magic number would be - and frankly I doubt that there really is one - but I think it's safe to say that if you really have a need for a pickup as much as 25% of the time you're either going to go broke renting one or **** off all your friends by borrowing theirs.

I also think the statement that driving a truck every day when it's not needed is a "huge waste of money" is a little broad. What if the guy has a short commute and the difference between driving a truck or a car comes out to something like $50 a month? If he just needed the truck a half-dozen times a year it would cost more than that to rent one. Not to mention the fact that registration and insurance is often less expensive for a truck.

Old 05-28-2014, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
I have a 26 mile commute each way to work. The vast majority of vehicles I see have one person in them - the driver. A few have more than one - most likely to be a child - on his/her way to school.

The vehicles include pickups, Mercedes, Sentras, Prius, Porsche, Lexus, Suburban, etc.

Many of these vehicles are not practical for their 90% use - commuting. A Mercedes S-class uses just about as much fuel as a pickup. A Suburban is as big as a pickup. And many of these vehicles cost MUCH more than a pickup. Is a $80K Jaguar not practical too? Of course it is, but I assume the driver likes it.

Asserting that a pickup isn't a practical choice if it isn't regularly used as a truck is irrational unless you call to question every other vehicle that people buy even when they don't use its full functionality 90% of the time.
Are you seriously arguing that you can't see the difference between passenger vehicles (Mercedes, Sentras, Priuses, Porsches, and Lexuses) that are designed to primarily transport people and pickup trucks that are designed to primarily haul stuff and tow trailers?

If so, then just stop because you're embarrassing yourself.

Old 05-28-2014, 06:15 PM

6,737 posts, read 4,421,087 times
Stuff, Stuff. I gota haul my Stuff!

Old 05-28-2014, 06:28 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,602,856 times
I'm looking to buy a 2500 Truck to pull my 5th wheel camper. I would rather buy a big van but cann't pull a 5th wheel with a van. I like the Dodge Promaster Vans.

Old 05-28-2014, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
There's a big difference between 50% and 5-10%. I don't know what the magic number would be - and frankly I doubt that there really is one - but I think it's safe to say that if you really have a need for a pickup as much as 25% of the time you're either going to go broke renting one or **** off all your friends by borrowing theirs.

I also think the statement that driving a truck every day when it's not needed is a "huge waste of money" is a little broad. What if the guy has a short commute and the difference between driving a truck or a car comes out to something like $50 a month? If he just needed the truck a half-dozen times a year it would cost more than that to rent one. Not to mention the fact that registration and insurance is often less expensive for a truck.
I will concede that the magic number will probably be 25% or higher, if the owner is a contractor, rancher, farmer, or someone whose occupation or activities provide more opportunities to fully utilize the capabilities of a pickup. I mean having need of it more than a dozen times a year because if you factor in the cost of fuel, maintenance, insurance, registration, and the initial output of a few to several thousands of dollars to acquire the vehicle, it will take years to break even, if at all.

Now, if you're not one of the above but you're picking up firewood, animal feed, lumber, sheet rock, moving furniture, towing trailers, etc., two or three times a month, then it's a totally different story and would, of course, be justifiable financially.

In the interest of full disclosure, the only reason that I may have come across as having a bias against trucks or truck owners is because of some of my neighbors. I get tired of hearing them constantly bitching about how they're tired of paying $800-$1200 monthly in fuel because of their commutes but they won't drive something more fuel efficient because "my granddaddy drove a pickup, my daddy drove a pickup, and I'm going to drive a pickup" even as they cry about how much it's costing them. It seems stupid to me because they don't even do "truck stuff" with their pickups. They and their wives just drive them like most people drive cars but then they're always complaining about the cost of ownership.

I don't understand their stubbornness, maybe it's a cultural thing.

Maybe some of you guys and gals can give me some insight or show me something I'm missing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive