Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 03:49 PM

21,867 posts, read 25,154,836 times

Advertisements

I use Spotify/Audible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2014, 06:06 PM

3,337 posts, read 2,140,399 times
I have Sirius XM, but I also use either my mp3 player or phone when I want to hear specific songs. LastFM and Pandora are alright sometimes... it's all situational anymore.

Old 02-19-2014, 07:40 PM

961 posts, read 2,026,736 times
The most surprising thing in this thread for me is how much of an issue data is. I thought unlimited data was common now....Ive not used mobile streaming on my phone, but I got mobile unlimited data and think I could.

Also I disagree that you can't differentiate sound quality in a car. The music on Electronic Area define has less kick than from my iPod.

Old 02-19-2014, 09:08 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,660,570 times
Data is not really an issue. The typical trend with the larger carriers is to make voice and text unlimited with a block of fixed amount of data. Some still are on older plans that reverse this though. In my experience, you would have to be using Pandora or similar several hours per day in the car to be using enough data to matter. But my experience does include having a home connection that doesn't use the cellular data. And also, I get to use wifi at work on the occasion I stream while there.

The idea that you'd go over on data with typical use and typical data plans seems like a stretch to me. There are cases where you might but it should be the exception rather than commonplace.

Old 02-19-2014, 10:31 PM

793 posts, read 1,419,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Data is not really an issue. The typical trend with the larger carriers is to make voice and text unlimited with a block of fixed amount of data. Some still are on older plans that reverse this though. In my experience, you would have to be using Pandora or similar several hours per day in the car to be using enough data to matter. But my experience does include having a home connection that doesn't use the cellular data. And also, I get to use wifi at work on the occasion I stream while there.

The idea that you'd go over on data with typical use and typical data plans seems like a stretch to me. There are cases where you might but it should be the exception rather than commonplace.
It adds up.. I use about 5 gigs a month of mobile data. That's my cap. Music alone isn't that bad, but any netflix/hulu eats it right up.

And yes, I have an 'unlimited' data plan. most have actual caps at 4g speeds, then it knocks you down to utter crap speeds.

Old 02-20-2014, 08:55 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,660,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2tall View Post
It adds up.. I use about 5 gigs a month of mobile data. That's my cap. Music alone isn't that bad, but any netflix/hulu eats it right up.
Well yeah. Video is always what eats it up. But we weren't really talking about that.

Now I know this isn't everyone, but personally I don't find a need to watch much video over the cell data connection. I use video streaming at home all the time, but not on my phone very much.

It really is just video that eats it. I use plenty of photo data as well as the music streaming (anything with only text on it is near enough to zero that it takes a lot to add up to anything significant) and I haven't ever cracked 2GB in a month.

Here's another way of looking at it: if you're already using a fair bit of video, it isn't likely to be Pandora that puts you over unless you're playing it constantly all on the cell connection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive