Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 01:05 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
Do they still stand for the things they stood for back then, or is it more about the brand image now? I don't really understand the appeal of today's muscle cars, though I must say I prefer the Challenger the most out of the choice between the Mustang, the Camaro, and the Challenger.
a huge engine and mediocre handling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2014, 09:05 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,782,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
Would you count a late model GTO as a musclecar?
Not really

Old 03-17-2014, 10:05 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Yes, huge and soft. That's the way I like my luxury cars!

Lol I remember packing not kidding 4 in the front and 5 in the back and head up to Big Bear for the day. And the funny thing we were ALL comfortable. I mean you could literally stretch out
And bumps and potholes? Suspension so soft you felt nothing. Just a floaty feeling

Old 03-18-2014, 01:11 AM

24,511 posts, read 33,317,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Lol I remember packing not kidding 4 in the front and 5 in the back and head up to Big Bear for the day. And the funny thing we were ALL comfortable. I mean you could literally stretch out
And bumps and potholes? Suspension so soft you felt nothing. Just a floaty feeling
They really were something. And fortunately can still be enjoyed even now.

Old 03-18-2014, 01:53 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,323,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
Actually, that happened in the 1990s (1995-1996, to be exact).

And it's a pretty interesting observation considering that the 1995 5.0 and 1996 4.6 were each rated at 215 HP, and within a couple of years the 4.6 was up to 260.

Looking at it from a neutral standpoint, I would say it seems more likely that that might have signaled the rebirth of factory muscle rather than the end.
The 5.0 could easily get 260HP with heads as they are the BIGGEST restriction on the 5.0 HO. Changing to better flowing heads will ne gains close to 40horsepower. No other collection of "bolt-ons" can do this for the same amount for Bang for the buck on the 5.0 and Now just take care of the most restrictive part of the intake, the UPPER and LOWER manifolds

Get rid of the restrictive Throttle body a larger TB will increase performance as much as 15 HP with all the mods installed.

At this point your stock INJECTORS are in their limit, a good choice is getting 30 pounders and a new fuel pump and MAF OR CUSTOM CHIP.

The Ignition system is now one of the weak links in the equation, with the added HP and fuel, a better coil to burn the added fuel.

Add in a headers and hi-flowcats and mufflers and you have a 300HP daily driveable 5.0 Mustang the SOHC Mod motor is less responsive to bolt-ons and the best thing for them is a boost by a supercharger or turbo kit which makes them a totally different vehicle otherwise the 2-valve Mod motor is very restrictive for N/A bolt-on in terms of gains compared to the 5.0HO

Old 03-24-2014, 01:05 PM

19 posts, read 67,543 times
muscle cars meant above average horsepower. Today's autos can get way more HP then in the 60's to 71 car could ever get. The new camaro, mustang, and challenger keeps the concept of muscle car alive.

Old 03-24-2014, 01:47 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,445,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
Eh, pony cars and muscle cars have been used interchangeably for decades now, no matter what the original "definition" was.

It used to be fairly easy to classify, the Mustang, Camaro/Firebird, Challenger were all two door with big engines, and were only good for going in a straight line. A Corvette for example, was a sportscar. It could out handle and out brake the rest of them because it was designed to be an all around car.

Now though, with modern day Mustangs and Camaros getting OHV engines, IRS, large brake and rotor packages... They are sports cars themselves in most performance metrics you can think of.
All engines are OHV. You're thinking of OHC. Ford uses DOHC, GM uses pushrod OHV

Old 03-24-2014, 01:53 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,273,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
All engines are OHV.
So what's this, the Loch Ness Monster?

Old 03-24-2014, 02:26 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,445,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
So what's this, the Loch Ness Monster?
I meant all engines currently being made. Obviously something from half a century ago has zero relevance to modern muscle cars

Old 03-25-2014, 08:27 PM

447 posts, read 733,813 times
This is a good post. I can relate as I an a gearhead that started loving muscle cars in the late 60's an I have owned a few including my 63 Plymouth Sport Fury I now own. But as someone said muscle cars back in the 60's and 70's were medium size cars with big powerful engines put in them. Today its hard to classify a muscle car when you can get supercharged Cadillacs and turbocharged cars all over the place. I mean you can get and average car today with over 400 hp thats just a standard driver. Back in the 60's and 70's it was the muscle cars that had the best and most poweful engines not the station wagons or Cadillacs. Myself even though you can get more powerful cars I consider the Camaro , Mustang and Challenger muscle cars with the V/8 engines of more then 350 hp in them muscle cars. They are nice cars and remind me of the good old days of the 60's and 70's. But I will take my old muscle car over the newer cars any day even if they dont drive as nice. Ron
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive