Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2014, 09:58 AM

84 posts, read 105,237 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't drop that kind of money on any vehicle. I'm not a brand snob - I've driven Hyundai, Mitsubishi, even had a Geo Metro years back. Currently drive a late model Nissan and a Jeep that is nearly 20 years old. I don't understand, and never have, the penchant for dropping big dollars on name-brand cars. Aren't we supposed to grow past that brand insecurity as we leave our teenage years behind?

That said, I understand that some people truly have a passion for cars. If they have the $, more power to them I have a passion for good coffee. I don't mind dropping the dollars, every day, for a really great espresso.

I'm referring more to people who drive Acura/BMW/Mercedes because it supposedly highlights how 'rich' and discriminating they are.

I'd rather put that extra $$ I save by driving crap on wheels into the bank. Maybe one day I'll actually BE rich <laughing>

Old 03-18-2014, 10:00 AM

2,256 posts, read 4,494,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
That's a funny question. I wouldn't drop $40 not $40k but $40 on a Kia or Hyundai. My dad has ben a mechanic for over 40 years and calls them both throw away cars. When it needs repairs, you throw it away and buy something else because they such cheap pieces of crap. You get what you pay for!

Comparing a Kia to a BMW is like comparing oranges to concrete. The ONLY thing they have in common is that their name is 3 letters long.

Maybe 20 years ago.. we're talking 2014. How many of the current $35k-$ 50K newer Kia/Hyundias has dad worked on?

Old 03-18-2014, 10:02 AM

1,017 posts, read 1,811,380 times
I wouldn't waste the time of day looking at kia or Hyundai. let alone get caught seen driving around town in a soul sorry it's not in my status symbol

Old 03-18-2014, 10:40 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,610,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracijo1967 View Post
I wouldn't drop that kind of money on any vehicle. I'm not a brand snob - I've driven Hyundai, Mitsubishi, even had a Geo Metro years back. Currently drive a late model Nissan and a Jeep that is nearly 20 years old. I don't understand, and never have, the penchant for dropping big dollars on name-brand cars. Aren't we supposed to grow past that brand insecurity as we leave our teenage years behind?

That said, I understand that some people truly have a passion for cars. If they have the $, more power to them I have a passion for good coffee. I don't mind dropping the dollars, every day, for a really great espresso.

I'm referring more to people who drive Acura/BMW/Mercedes because it supposedly highlights how 'rich' and discriminating they are.

I'd rather put that extra $$ I save by driving crap on wheels into the bank. Maybe one day I'll actually BE rich <laughing>
No all of us want to drive older vehicles. With the number of miles I drive every year, I need a very reliable vehicle. I drive many long trips throughout the year and can't be broken down every 100 miles. I just racked up over a thousand miles in 4 days on a work trip. I have another 400 mile trip this weekend. I can't afford to be broken down in the middle of some mountains and not show up for work.

Some of us know a thing or two about cars and just won't buy certain brands. I work hard for my money and don't want to waste it on some piece of junk.

I know plenty of people who drive BMW's who don't drive them because they are rich or discriminating. My brother races his BMW. He's raced them for years.

Don't be a hater because you buy used vehicles and others don't. We all have our reasons for our purchases. Some don't have the money for monthly payments. Some only want to pay cash. Some need a pickup for work or camping or boating. Some need a bicycle. Some need a van for work and play. Whatever your needs, there's a vehicle at your price out there.

Old 03-18-2014, 11:36 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
Quote:
That's a funny question. I wouldn't drop $40 not $40k but $40 on a Kia or Hyundai. My dad has ben a mechanic for over 40 years and calls them both throw away cars. When it needs repairs, you throw it away and buy something else because they such cheap pieces of crap. You get what you pay for!

Comparing a Kia to a BMW is like comparing oranges to concrete. The ONLY thing they have in common is that their name is 3 letters long.
Back in the 80's and 90's I wouldn't have touched a Hyundai either, but times change and companies improve their products. They don't even have the same engineers and designers they had back then, and they've gotten pretty serious about firing people that aren't devoted to improving quality. So far my 2012 Sonata is comparable to other cars in its class like the Camry or Altima.

Old 03-18-2014, 11:38 AM

9,131 posts, read 19,997,945 times
This is a wide spread for price range. $35K really is not that much money these days for some new cars either as most loaded models of common brand midsize sedans hit that amount.

I would not categorically rule out paying that kind of money for a new Hyundai or Kia, just based on brand name.

If I felt the Hyundai or Kia was a good value at that price, based on it's class and competition, I would consider buying it.

I do think that as those brands get into RWD luxury, they really could use a new luxury brand to sell them under too, as brand reputation could hurt their success or reputation (which this thread basically proves).

Old 03-18-2014, 12:01 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,610,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Back in the 80's and 90's I wouldn't have touched a Hyundai either, but times change and companies improve their products. They don't even have the same engineers and designers they had back then, and they've gotten pretty serious about firing people that aren't devoted to improving quality. So far my 2012 Sonata is comparable to other cars in its class like the Camry or Altima.
Great for you that you like your Sonata. I wouldn't take one even if it was free. To say that a Sonata is comparable to a Camry is just funny. Pretty sure the sales numbers disagree. This here says a lot:

October Midsize Sales: Toyota Camry Leads Accord, Altima Once Again - Motor Trend WOT

Old 03-18-2014, 12:21 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,069,075 times
Quote:
Great for you that you like your Sonata. I wouldn't take one even if it was free. To say that a Sonata is comparable to a Camry is just funny. Pretty sure the sales numbers disagree. This here says a lot:

October Midsize Sales: Toyota Camry Leads Accord, Altima Once Again - Motor Trend WOT
The sales numbers don't tell you anything about quality (hence the critically acclaimed newly released 2014 Mazda 3 not selling well compared to the dated Corolla/Civic). I have a 2011 Hyundai Genesis Coupe, a 2007 BMW 530i and now a 2009 Ford Fusion that replaced my wifes 2002 Honda Accord. The BMW has been the least reliable of them all (coolant leaks, sunroof recalibration, weird ignition lock issues, etc). I intended to drive the BMW daily and use the Genesis Coupe as a weekend car but I prefer to drive the Genesis far more and the BMW will likely get the boot soon.

Given my experience with the BMW I'm certainly not surprised more and more people are buying the Genesis sedan as a more reliable alternative particularly for anyone who intends to drive the car after the warranty is gone.

Last edited by iTsLiKeAnEgG; 03-18-2014 at 12:30 PM..

Old 03-18-2014, 12:26 PM

6,538 posts, read 7,118,145 times
Quote:

Please tell us all the major differences between a Camry and a Sonata? My wife drives a '11 Sonata (I almost drive it more then she does) and we rented a '14 Camry this fall, both have the 4 cylinder, there wasn't any major differences between the two. Both are plain and boring. We've had zero problems in 40k other then a factory control arm recall. It's not like one of these boring class sedans is light years better then the others.

Old 03-18-2014, 12:29 PM

2,256 posts, read 4,494,654 times
Quote:

They certainly are comparble cars. Sales # s have nothing to do with the subject at hand. Its no secret that Toyota would kill to be in the middle of the styling trend that Hyundai is in right now. One of their main goals now has been to shed their "no much for looks, great applliance image". Akio himself is on a big push for this evidenced by the recent hires. The Avalon and Corolla were supposed to be the first taste of this and the upcoming Supra/FT1 is supposed to be the cherry on top.

The 14.5 Camry ever so slight restyle was a stop gap until a thoroughly redone Camry can get to market which will be aimed directly at the Hyundai like styling trend. Toyota admits at what you deny. I know this from working in R&D type functions myself for both companies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive