Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2014, 10:24 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,104,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
while it is true that the oil itself doesnt break down, otherwise we couldnt recycle used oil, the additive package does break down over time.

i recommend chancing the oil at least once per year on a car that isnt used much.
Not over the course of a year it doesn't. Trust me, I've sent off many samples of oil for a UOA (used oil analysis) on several of my cars (usually turbocharged, high horsepower vehicles.) Synthetic oil doesn't break down by just sitting for a year, unless the car is running incredibly rich and is just dumping fuel into the cylinders that doesn't get burned, and eventually leaks into the crankcase.

For a Honda Accord (neither turbocharged nor high horsepower) the oil can easily go 2+ years before it will start to degrade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2014, 02:49 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,854,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
Not over the course of a year it doesn't. Trust me, I've sent off many samples of oil for a UOA (used oil analysis) on several of my cars (usually turbocharged, high horsepower vehicles.) Synthetic oil doesn't break down by just sitting for a year, unless the car is running incredibly rich and is just dumping fuel into the cylinders that doesn't get burned, and eventually leaks into the crankcase.

For a Honda Accord (neither turbocharged nor high horsepower) the oil can easily go 2+ years before it will start to degrade.
again i am not talking about the oil itself, i am talking about the additive package that is put into the oil that breaks down.

Old 03-21-2014, 03:15 AM

1,205 posts, read 1,972,028 times
There are labs out there that will test your oil to tell you what's going on in your engine. $25 and you'll know how your oil is doing. Blackstone labs is a good one.
Short trips, low usage is hard on a car. But at the miles you've driven, any problems you might have are probably 30 years away.

Old 03-21-2014, 06:10 AM
C8N

1,119 posts, read 3,228,257 times
At the end of the day... what are we talking about here?
5 qt of Mobil 1 is like what? $27 at Walmart?

Old 03-21-2014, 06:46 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,850,938 times
You can never change oil enough times, and it is the cheapest part you will ever put in an engine. While oil itself doesn't break down from just sitting, it does become contaminated from just sitting inside an engine block. Acids are formed from the cast iron block and those need to be removed if you want to be safe.

My one Son has two cars that he rarely drives and both run Mobil 1. The oil gets changed in both every year and if he puts 300 miles a year on either car that is a lot. Same with my hot rods, I run synthetic blend Mercury Marine 25-40 in them and I change the oil at least once a year, sometimes every 6 months. But when I tear them down they are spotless inside.

Don

Old 03-21-2014, 08:48 AM

696 posts, read 905,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Great question, Tar . . .

Due to living in town and no more regular commuting, I have two vehicles that average about 2k to 3k miles per year and, to be on the safe side, the oil is changed every January regardless of the mileage.

The 1986 Jeep CJ-7 gets regular oil but General Motors recommends Mobil 1 for the 2005 Chevy LS2 engine.
do you use regular or synthetic oil?

Old 03-21-2014, 09:14 AM

25,578 posts, read 17,298,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tar21 View Post
I have a 2010 honda accord that I hardly drive, I have only put 6000 miles on it since buying it new in 2010. It uses synthetic oil that only has to be changed every 7000 miles, I already changed it once in 2011. How often do I have to change it? Does it break down over time or am I good to wait awile more. It has been about a year and a half since I last changed it at about 3500 miles.
Most oil products are hygroscopic in nature. That means it will absorb water over time.
Brake fluid is a good example, and should be changed every few years.

The manufacturer will know the hygroscopic qualities of their product, but it may be hard to get it out of them. A chemist would have a better idea than anyone.

If it was me: It is me! I drive my truck about 5,000 miles a year. So I don't use synthetic oil. I use a good grade of oil and change it every year. Before the oil change I put a can of Gunk Motor Flush through it. Follow the directions.
My truck has 400,000 miles on the original engine.

Old 03-21-2014, 09:32 AM

696 posts, read 905,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Most oil products are hygroscopic in nature. That means it will absorb water over time.
Brake fluid is a good example, and should be changed every few years.

The manufacturer will know the hygroscopic qualities of their product, but it may be hard to get it out of them. A chemist would have a better idea than anyone.

If it was me: It is me! I drive my truck about 5,000 miles a year. So I don't use synthetic oil. I use a good grade of oil and change it every year. Before the oil change I put a can of Gunk Motor Flush through it. Follow the directions.
My truck has 400,000 miles on the original engine.

so if you use regular oil and change it once a year and I use synthetic oil which lasts way longer do I only have to change it like once every 3 years?

Old 03-21-2014, 09:43 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,708,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tar21 View Post
do you use regular or synthetic oil?
Regular Oil (either Pennzoil or Quaker State) for the Jeep and Mobil 1 Synthetic Oil for the Chevy LS2.

Look at it this way . . . a major Engine Overhaul costs in the Thousands of Dollars and a complete Engine Replacement probably well over Ten Thousand Dollars while a simple Oil Change runs between 30 to 50 bucks, possibly even less if you DIY.

That's what I call a . . . NO BRAINER.

Old 03-21-2014, 10:22 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,494,081 times
My 1 year old Mazda requires synthetic oil. The manual requires oil changes every X miles or 6 months (or every X miles, 4 months if driving in high humidity and short trip), whichever is first.

Since it's under warranty for another couple years, I get oil changes every 6 months. I hate to do this when it only has 1500 miles at the 6 month change interval because I know the synthetic oil will last longer than 6 months.

As soon as the warranty period is over I plan to spread out the oil changes. Darn, that's 4 more years I think, where I will get oil changes every 6 months with hardly any miles driven. What a waste.

Am afraid if something occurred to the engine that required warranty, that they will look at my oil change intervals...and if I exceeded the 6 month interval (even with low miles), they will refuse the cover the warranty issue. So I get unnecessary oil changes at 6 months because Mazda requires it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive