Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 06:08 AM

Location: says MA on my license but can be found wandering the beaches of RI
1,432 posts, read 1,823,938 times

Advertisements

Wow, I couldn't have asked for better input so to those who have given advice since I last posted, thanks so much!

I don't know if this changes how I approach the potential rust I might have but I have plans to move to Florida in a little over a year so that means one more winter my truck needs to get through.

When I was in my late teens, I bought a California car, only one owner before me, rust free. It was a Camaro Berlinetta and I loved that car. But one night two of my friends decided to "take it out for a spin" and wrecked the car. It actually wasn't in bad shape, you could drive it, but the frame got bent so the insurance company totaled it.

@tommy64 - what are you currently restoring? I love old cars and trucks, used to have a 70 Mustang convertible. But at the time I didn't have the funds to keep it up so I sold it to a guy who was going to restore it with his son as a project. That car definitely deserved someone who could put the money into it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2014, 06:26 AM

3,155 posts, read 2,733,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshinecc View Post
Wow, I couldn't have asked for better input so to those who have given advice since I last posted, thanks so much!

I don't know if this changes how I approach the potential rust I might have but I have plans to move to Florida in a little over a year so that means one more winter my truck needs to get through.

When I was in my late teens, I bought a California car, only one owner before me, rust free. It was a Camaro Berlinetta and I loved that car. But one night two of my friends decided to "take it out for a spin" and wrecked the car. It actually wasn't in bad shape, you could drive it, but the frame got bent so the insurance company totaled it.

@tommy64 - what are you currently restoring? I love old cars and trucks, used to have a 70 Mustang convertible. But at the time I didn't have the funds to keep it up so I sold it to a guy who was going to restore it with his son as a project. That car definitely deserved someone who could put the money into it.
I have a '70 cuda, '67 chevelle, '70 challenger and '68 camaro in the shop . 2 are mine, 2 are customer cars.

Musclecar s are simple to work on and and nothing built after '72 has the "it" factor like these old rigs.

Old 04-17-2014, 06:35 AM

oh nice! As I've said, I don't know much about cars "under the hood" but I do have an appreciation for how they were made and I do agree (for the most part) about the early 70's being the last time for the great automobile (except for my 75 Bronco which I hope to one day own).

I enjoy going to car shows and seeing all the different models. What makes me smile is the older folks who will sit there in front of their cars and light up when you ask about their "baby". Not being disrespectful (just the opposite actually) when I say there's some history right there - both the car and the person.

Old 04-17-2014, 03:13 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,273,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
If you read your manual in small print the manufacturer suggests exactly what I suggested once you reach the end of your owners manual maintenance schedule. Once you reach the end of your manual you start over with the regular service as if the car had 0 miles. So say 90k technically puts you back right at your normal 30/60/90 (odometer would read 120/150/180) maintenance sequence with all other maintenance items. Some owners manuals actually say once you reach the end of the scheduled maintenance. Start over as if the odometer is at zero.
Okay, so lets say I have an interference engine. Timing belt replacement is scheduled for 60K. Schedule in the owners manual runs out at 60K.

If I do as you say, I will change the timing belt again at 150K, which means the second timing belt will be in there 90K miles. Please tell me why it's reasonable to wait 90K miles to change the second belt when the first one was supposed to be changed at 60K.

I'm going to check out my owners manuals tonight and see what they say. Might run to a car lot and check out a few more. If you've seen this, then it must be true. But it doesn't mean that it makes any sense.

Old 04-17-2014, 05:09 PM

2,600 posts, read 8,794,210 times
2001 Ford truck ???

Need engine size, is it 2 or 4 wheel drive and is it a 1/2 ton or what ???

Old 04-17-2014, 05:22 PM

the engine size is 4.0, it's 4wd, sport trac...

Old 04-18-2014, 04:37 AM

2,600 posts, read 8,794,210 times
Inspect
Brakes and Traction Control
Inspect brake pads, shoes, rotors, drums, brake lines and hoses, and parking brake system for all operating Conditions.

Cooling System
Inspect engine cooling system and hoses.

Drive/Propeller Shaft
Exhaust System
Inspect exhaust system.
Heat Shield, Exhaust

Steering and Suspension
Inspect Steering linkage and suspension.

Universal Joint, Drive/Propeller Shaft

For Special Operating Conditions T and O only, Ford recommends inspecting and lubricating the U-joints as required.

Lubricate
Wheel Bearing (Special Operating Conditions I)
Lubricate 4X2 wheel bearings, replace grease seals, and adjust bearings, if using the Special Operating Conditions I.

Replace
Air Filter Element

Replace Engine Air Filter at this service interval if oprerating under Special Operating Conditions T, I and O. Refer to Special Operating Conditions.

Replace Engine Air Filter. For Special Operating Conditions D only, Ford recommends replacing the air filter element as required. Replace engine air filter

Drive Belt
Replace all accessory drive belt(s), (if not done within last 100,000 miles).

Engine Oil
Replace oil if using Special Operating Conditions O only. Replace oil if using Special Operating Conditions T, I, or D only.

Fluid - A/T
If NOT operating under special operating conditions - T,I,D or O then only change the fluid on vehicles equipped with AX4S, AX4N, 4R70W, 4R100, and 4F27E Transmissions. Inspect fluid on all other transmissions. Replace automatic transmission fluid, if using Special Operating Condition T, I, D or O. Refer to Special Operating Conditions

Fluid - Differential
Replace front differential quantities.

Fuel Filter
Replace fuel filter for all Operating Conditions. Replace fuel filter, if using Special Operating Condition I and D. Refer to Special Operating Conditions

Oil Filter, Engine
Replace oil filter if using Special Operating Conditions O only. Replace oil filter if using Special Operating Conditions T, I, or D only.

Rotate
Tires
Inspect tires for wear and rotate.

Old 04-18-2014, 05:45 AM

Thanks for that list, you really put some time into that. I can put together my own personal manual based on all these great responses!

I think I'm going for my inspection sticker today. It'll be interesting to get the results...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive