Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 11:14 AM

2,802 posts, read 3,188,778 times

Advertisements

The OP is correct about how four way stops are handled. The people who ignore it are inconsiderate. I don't think they're ignorant of the rules since it's taught in driving school about to handle four way stops. They're simply stupid.

The other thing that irritates me is around where I live, there is a one lane bridge. There are plenty of signs leading up to it saying "one vehicle at a time." However, when you have a driver following the one who has the right of way, the idiot behind the lead vehicle will just go. There have been many times where I've yielded to the right of way, waited for my turn, the rightful driver crossed, I started to go, and some idiot coming along decides to ignore the signs stating it's one vehicle at a time. She damn near caused a head-on collision because she didn't want to wait her turn. I had already started going, was a quarter of the way across, and she just blows right through and almost collides with me.

I really wish they'd put a traffic light on it with photo enforcement. The ones who'll whine the most are generally the habitual offenders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2014, 12:19 PM

2,366 posts, read 2,639,189 times
Rolling through a stop sign create the confusion at a four way stop. People either do not know that their vehicle can not be in motion at a stop sign or feel that it is pointless to do so.

Old 04-23-2014, 02:28 PM

9,821 posts, read 11,540,655 times
This happens a lot here in So Cal.
People who are second in line at a 4 way stop, when they get to the 4 way stop they just dart into the intersection ignoring right way ect.....
Not to stereotype,but it's usually women in a hurry and foreigners that do this!

Old 04-23-2014, 03:39 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,592,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
It's not rude to just go in that situation.
No, it's not rude to just go ahead. But it's much safer to creep ahead slowly at first, until it's clear that someone else isn't also just going ahead.

Old 04-23-2014, 03:57 PM

15,427 posts, read 25,801,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
No, it's not rude to just go ahead. But it's much safer to creep ahead slowly at first, until it's clear that someone else isn't also just going ahead.
Agreed. Don't want to be rude, but it's okay to be a creep (er).

Old 04-23-2014, 04:20 PM

3,701 posts, read 4,846,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrendanSWM View Post
People going straight have the right of way and should proceed before those who are turning. Right turns have priority over those turning left. If multiple vechiles arrive together priority goes to the vehicle that first completes its stop. It is only in the rare instance where none of this applies (i.e. vehicles traveling on perpendicular roads arrive and stop at exactly the same time. Not sure if there are any rules for that situation.
Not at a 4 way!

Old 04-23-2014, 04:31 PM

558 posts, read 1,120,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
or are they just being inconsiderate?
Yep. They know the rules most likely but we're in a "me first" world.

Old 04-23-2014, 04:38 PM

513 posts, read 799,005 times
I hate waving and the ten minute "you go, no you go" only to end up going and almost crashing. Whoever is first goes. If there is someone across from the person going at the same time I don't mind. Example: a guy goes at the stop sign and at the same time a car directly across from him goes too.

I hate stopping at a stop sign and I am clearly there first and others decide to just "go" when it's not their turn and they are turning or doing something that isn't following what I noted above. The other day I came to a Stop sign and the guy behind me gunned it, went around me, and blew threw it. WTF.

Old 04-23-2014, 04:40 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,945,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
Some people don't seem to understand how to proceed at a four way stop sign. It is my understanding that if two or more cars are at a four way stop sign, the first car to stop has the right of way. If two cars stop at the same time, the car on the right has the right of way (of course a car on the right can yield if they wish).

Now the issue I've experienced is coming up to a four way stop sign with another car arriving a little sooner than me at the intersection so I yield and let him go first. Then a second car behind that one goes through as well, although they were clearly later in arriving at the intersection. In fact at any stop sign you can't skate through after the first car proceeds without driving up to the sign and stopping. Do people not understand basic driving practices or are they just being inconsiderate?
Partially correct. Yielding the right of way is dangerous. It is called "right" of way for a reason. If someone yields their right of way all it does is confuse everyone else and upsets the progression of traffic.

So you yield your right of way and then what? Now other drivers have to figure out who goes next? Sorry, that is both dangerous and inconsiderate of others.

There is no etiquette in driving, there are rules and laws to obey and if people do their part there aren't misunderstandings.

Like people who stop in the middle of the road to allow someone to enter from a driveway, people who give up their right of way create problems by trying to be nice. Driving in traffic isn't about being nice, it is transportation and getting from one place to another safety without causing problems for others.

If you have the right of way, exercise that right and stop confusing other drivers who don't know what your intentions are. Often, collisions happen because one driver didn't know what the other driver intended to do. You can be polite and if someone else disregards your right of way, of course, do the safe thing but being the nice person because you just want to let someone else go ahead of you when you have the right of way?

As inconsiderate as it gets.

Old 04-23-2014, 04:48 PM

2,166 posts, read 3,384,055 times
I get annoyed when you come up to a 4 way stop, and for example, the person on your left stops first, you (being perpendicular) stop second, and some jackass on the right stops third, but because you have just waited for person #1 to clear the intersection, person #3 decides to skip ahead and go through forcing you to wait longer.

I wish cops would sit at four way stops more often...so many people roll through without making a complete stop so they can beat someone else through the intersection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive