Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2014, 08:31 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times

Advertisements

Leather with suede inserts...ventilated and heated seats.
That's the way to do it.

Btw, my wife's car (regular leather seats) is approaching 5 years old and does not have any of the uggo complaints (bubbling, stretching, wrinkles, butt fat seat mark) y'all are talking about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2014, 09:26 AM

3,106 posts, read 3,992,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiberiusP View Post
On the market again for a new car and thought I would consider leather , I am heavily leaning to cloth. Why?

The leather on the center console of our 5 year old Honda is bubbling. Obviously cheap leather, plastique or shoddy construction. Wondering if leather is worth having in the car at all?

Does it typically outlast a cloth interior? pros?cons to each? only true pro of leather I can think of is the ease of cleaning.

Thoughts?
You don't have leather seats. You have vinyl seats with a thin shaving of skin on them, pretty much. Leather does not "bubble".

That said, I have found that the trim-level of a vehicle typically determines interior being leather or cloth, and I get what comes with the package I want, as you don't really have a choice so much, typically, and stepping outside of that choice often can hurt resale, etc.

Old 05-11-2014, 09:27 AM

3,106 posts, read 3,992,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Leather with suede inserts...ventilated and heated seats.
That's the way to do it.

Btw, my wife's car (regular leather seats) is approaching 5 years old and does not have any of the uggo complaints (bubbling, stretching, wrinkles, butt fat seat mark) y'all are talking about.
I FULLY agree on suede inserts. They glue you in place very well. My Z06 was "slick" leather, and it was not nearly as useful a seating surface as my 370Z with the pseudo-suede. My Jeep that I currently own has suede seating inserts, and I love them. Very useful/comfy.

Old 05-14-2014, 12:11 PM

5,120 posts, read 16,599,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWG223 View Post
...I have found that the trim-level of a vehicle typically determines interior being leather or cloth, and I get what comes with the package I want, as you don't really have a choice so much, typically, and stepping outside of that choice often can hurt resale, etc.
I have found this to be true too. So I was lucky to get a higher trim level in my car with cloth seats. I don't like leather seats. Too hot in summer, too slippery and shows too much wear over time.

I didn't want leather in the car. I prefer my leather to be on my couches in my living room.

I've yet to spill anything in my car so my dogs wet paws are the most abuse my seats take. Didn't want leather as I thought my dogs toenails could scratch/puncture the seats.

Old 05-14-2014, 12:23 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,273,013 times
Leather. Preferably fine Corinthian leather. Just because Ricardo Montalban made it seem so cool.

Old 05-14-2014, 03:29 PM

1,977 posts, read 7,756,664 times
cloth is a LOT more comfortable in the heat and snow but between the kids and the dog making a mess on the seats, I'll always go with leather if I have the option.

Old 05-14-2014, 03:42 PM

1,142 posts, read 2,132,764 times
My last car was leather and I hated it. First of all it was beige was always in a state of dirty, I should have bought car seat covers. Second even though it had heated seats I hated the way they felt when using them consequently the seats were always cold in the winter.
That was enough for me to make sure my car I bought this summer had cloth seats that were black, which I will still buy
seat covers for. LOL

Old 05-14-2014, 06:38 PM

246 posts, read 470,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWG223 View Post
You don't have leather seats. You have vinyl seats with a thin shaving of skin on them, pretty much. Leather does not "bubble".

That said, I have found that the trim-level of a vehicle typically determines interior being leather or cloth, and I get what comes with the package I want, as you don't really have a choice so much, typically, and stepping outside of that choice often can hurt resale, etc.
I used to think the same as well. Currently have a HOnda Pilot Ex-L (L for leather.) I think you are spot on that while the seats themselves are leather, the center armrest cover is vinyl made to look like black leather and its bubbling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggalegga View Post
I have found this to be true too. So I was lucky to get a higher trim level in my car with cloth seats. I don't like leather seats. Too hot in summer, too slippery and shows too much wear over time.

I didn't want leather in the car. I prefer my leather to be on my couches in my living room.
I have to really consider all this. GOing to go have another look at my leather seats in the Pilot. Its true that even with all the leather cleaning products we use, it seems that it does not weather the test of time well.

Meanwhile our leather sofa weathers well (9 years old) as does my 21 year old leather jacket (that yes, I still wear from high school!)

Been going bad hand forth…Might just go with cloth and maybe consider seat covers and /or spraying scotch guard on the seats.

Old 05-15-2014, 12:11 PM

5,120 posts, read 16,599,761 times
I had custom headrest & seat top covers sewn for the backseat of my car. The backs of new headrests are so high that they are subject to sun rot. The custom seat top cover made for my backseat protects the seat from sun rot & fading. My sister bought my former car, a 1992 Saturn, 5 years ago and the seat top cover is still on it protecting it from the sun.

Perhaps whatever you buy will have better sun protection or tinted windows that will protect your seats.

Old 05-15-2014, 06:23 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,038,208 times
Cloth! Because I live in the desert and leather can get so hot it will blister skin!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive