Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 08:48 AM

3,078 posts, read 11,065,699 times

Advertisements

Does this tax deduction apply to other vehicles or just to large SUV's? Is there a website I can visit to learn the details?

I own a small business, but a large SUV doesn't make economic sense for me because:

1. The company is new and my income isn't yet large enough that the tax deduction would cover enough of the cost of the SUV, even if it meant I paid no taxes that year thanks to the deduction. Seems like this deduction is only for the already-wealthy and successful established businesses who are paying a lot of taxes.

2. Rising fuel prices and large liscensing fees would make a large vehicle a millstone for my company.

3. Even when hauling large loads, I'd really feel like I was hurting my children and grandchildren by driving such a gross polluter. Are there any hybrids or more efficient vehicles covered by the tax deduction?

So, no, I won't be buying a large SUV this year. For now, unless I can find some information that proves my assumptions wrong, I'll keep packing my sub-compact to the gills every time I need to move some stock. It's fairly amusing when I pull up at various sales events. Other vendors unload about 1/3 less cargo than me from vehicles that are 2-3 times bigger than mine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2007, 08:59 AM

1,921 posts, read 6,428,924 times
The deduction requires a minimum gross vehicle weight (I think it's 6,000 lbs but I'm not sure of that), so it doesn't matter whether the vehicle is a truck or SUV.

Old 12-13-2007, 09:46 AM

392 posts, read 1,859,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post

3. Even when hauling large loads, I'd really feel like I was hurting my children and grandchildren by driving such a gross polluter. Are there any hybrids or more efficient vehicles covered by the tax deduction?
There are tax credits for for hybrids. Here is link to the IRS info on the models and amounts.
http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/0,,id=157632,00.html (broken link)

My husband is self-employed but we wouldn't get an SUV if it was free...heck, even if they paid us to take it

Old 12-13-2007, 10:34 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,487,747 times
I wont be buying a "new" anything. I now only buy vehicles that I can pay cash for. No more car payments for this boy!

Old 12-13-2007, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stock66 View Post
There are tax credits for for hybrids. Here is link to the IRS info on the models and amounts.
http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/0,,id=157632,00.html (broken link)

My husband is self-employed but we wouldn't get an SUV if it was free...heck, even if they paid us to take it
Can you explain to me how a hybrid is so much more environmentally friendly than a conventional gasoline-powered automobile? Don't forget to include the manufacturing and disposal processes of each type of vehicle in your evaluation (batteries included, of course).

Old 12-13-2007, 06:19 PM

If that is directed to me I didn't say I favored buying any sort of new vehicle. I replied to another poster's question about tax credits for hybrids then said I would not buy an SUV. IF I were to buy anything it would certainly not be an SUV. I do not like them and don't really understand why so many people feel they need them.

Old 12-13-2007, 07:01 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,266,002 times
Quote:
I do not like them and don't really understand why so many people feel they need them.
A lot has to do with your lifestyle - lot's of camping, comfort, hauling the boat, going to the snow - things like that -

Old 12-13-2007, 07:40 PM

Quote:
If that is directed to me I didn't say I favored buying any sort of new vehicle. I replied to another poster's question about tax credits for hybrids then said I would not buy an SUV. IF I were to buy anything it would certainly not be an SUV. I do not like them and don't really understand why so many people feel they need them.
It's directed at anyone who wants to offer a rebuttal.

Old 12-13-2007, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
A lot has to do with your lifestyle - lot's of camping, comfort, hauling the boat, going to the snow - things like that -
Maybe where you live, not where I am. As to comfort, I guess I can't say. I might be big but I'm not that big

Old 12-14-2007, 09:21 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,266,002 times
Quote:
Maybe where you live, not where I am. As to comfort, I guess I can't say. I might be big but I'm not that big
I live in Arizona and Nevada. We camp. We have a boat. We go into the forest and up skiing. Starting next year, we will be summering in Sitka Alaska - an SUV is an all around great choice for us. My wife and I each have one plus another smaller car -

As for comfort: It is not necessarily the size YOU are - but, all around, we find the SUV's we have very comfortable
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive