Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 10:04 PM

2,806 posts, read 3,180,798 times

Advertisements

Hi, what do you guys think? if you don't repair cars yourself, but have a reliable and honest mechanic you can trust, when would you consider getting a new vehicle? Are there rules of thumb? Our Grand Caravan 07 has 98k miles and just had struts and brakes replaced plus some more minor issues to the tune of 2.2k. I estimate it's worse less than 5k. How long should I keep it up? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2014, 10:18 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,685,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potential_Landlord View Post
Hi, what do you guys think? if you don't repair cars yourself, but have a reliable and honest mechanic you can trust, when would you consider getting a new vehicle? Are there rules of thumb? Our Grand Caravan 07 has 98k miles and just had struts and brakes replaced plus some more minor issues to the tune of 2.2k. I estimate it's worse less than 5k. How long should I keep it up? Thanks!
When your monthly repair bills start to equal the cost of a monthly car payment, I'd say it's time to get another car. Otherwise, every month you don't have a car repair bill, you're ahead of the game.

Old 06-04-2014, 11:34 PM

861 posts, read 1,336,949 times
The time to get a new car was before spending $2.2k.

Old 06-05-2014, 12:26 AM

2,156 posts, read 3,334,757 times
Just made that decision this past weekend. Decided that the cost of repair is more than what the car is value at/worth. That's when I knew, it was time to let it go.

Old 06-05-2014, 12:28 AM

2,806 posts, read 3,180,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John7777 View Post
When your monthly repair bills start to equal the cost of a monthly car payment, I'd say it's time to get another car. Otherwise, every month you don't have a car repair bill, you're ahead of the game.
Fortunately, there are no payments. The last repair bill was 15 months ago so 2,200 divided by 15 is a monthly payment of about 150. Definitively less than a regular car payment.

Old 06-05-2014, 12:49 AM

773 posts, read 2,632,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkobe View Post
The time to get a new car was before spending $2.2k.
There you go. Truer words were never spoken.

I'd run it another 15 months in an attempt (probably forlorn) to recoup some of that $2.2K. And while you're at it, squirrel some cash away for a larger down payment.

Old 06-05-2014, 07:10 AM

11,761 posts, read 14,663,264 times
I disagree with the theory that you should replace the car when the cost of a repair exceeds the market value of the car. The real question is whether the repair is cheaper than the alternative: buying a new (or used) car.

The top two factors for me are whether you can trust the car to get you where you need to go and how much time the next repair is going to buy you. If your mechanic is telling you "I can do this, but you still can't count on this thing for very long" it's time to replace.

I drove my Grand Voyager until it was ten years old with 150,000 on it, so if you keep taking care of yours you should have plenty of time to drive it.

Old 06-05-2014, 07:14 AM

3,608 posts, read 7,928,706 times
Reliability and safety enter into the decision, in addition to the cost of the repair.

Old 06-05-2014, 08:09 AM

58 posts, read 96,112 times
I believe it's time to considering replacing your vehicle when the average cost of monthly repairs exceeds what a car payment PLUS auto insurance difference would be. Newer vehicles are" usually" more expensive to insure. If your on a budget, you need to factor that in.

Also, there's a smaller deciding factor for some individuals. What if they just don't make the same" type" of vehicle your trying to purchase to replace the older model? Now it doesn't apply to minivans so much but others who read this thread may want to consider that. For example, our truck, an excursion...it simply cannot be replaced With a newer model unless willing to pay the $70,000 for the conversion of a newer f250. Therefore, we have a strict maintence schedule and repairs are done as needed.

Personally I wouldn't keep a minivan if the repairs became that high. Resale value is dismal.Best of luck in your decision.

Old 06-05-2014, 08:25 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,280,374 times
With an older car, the utility value often exceeds the book value, sometimes by a good margin. In other words, your car might only be worth $2000 to a potential buyer to to age and cosmetic wear and tear, but you might have to spend $5000 or more to ensure that the car you are replacing it with is as good as what you've got mechanically.

So it very seldom makes financial sense to replace your car rather than repairing it. That doesn't mean that there's anything wrong with buying a nicer newer car because you want one. It's just difficult to really justify financially.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive