Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 10:58 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,025,302 times

Advertisements

Mine sags & its held up by staples & plastic thumb tacks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2012, 04:22 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,953,306 times
So I'm driving home from a rehearsal one night and realized I couldn't see anything in my rear-view mirror. What!?! When I pulled into my garage, I realized that my headliner ('90 Toyota Corolla) had dropped. I taped it up with duct tape, (temp fix, since the Summer heat was going to melt the adhesive on the tape). I was in the Dollar General store and in the clearance department, I found a pack of twisty tacks actually meant to be used on a droopy headliner. Cost me a couple of dollars and they're holding for five years.

They're called Saggy Stoppers and made by Heads Up Industries in Sunrise FL. An auto parts store should have them. Good luck.

Old 05-15-2012, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
So I'm driving home from a rehearsal one night and realized I couldn't see anything in my rear-view mirror. What!?! When I pulled into my garage, I realized that my headliner ('90 Toyota Corolla) had dropped. I taped it up with duct tape, (temp fix, since the Summer heat was going to melt the adhesive on the tape). I was in the Dollar General store and in the clearance department, I found a pack of twisty tacks actually meant to be used on a droopy headliner. Cost me a couple of dollars and they're holding for five years.

They're called Saggy Stoppers and made by Heads Up Industries in Sunrise FL. An auto parts store should have them. Good luck.
Ill check into that. For now though the staples & thumbtacks work fine.

Old 05-29-2012, 04:28 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,780,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
Could be, but I bet they are there to dampen oscillation of a large steel panel. Same thing Dynamat does.
Might be. I took them down they were falling down and were no good. I also found my styrofoam backing was junk too so out it went. For a beater truck it's gonna run me $229 for a new board + the headliner.

Anyone know of a good cheap fix in my case? I'm going to need the styrofoam board to start off with. Can't seem to find one anywhere. Not even the junkyards have one, or does anyone who's parting out a 1982-93 S series truck.

Old 06-06-2012, 02:27 PM

1,938 posts, read 6,262,639 times
You'd probably have to take it to a place that works on interiors of cars, like a window tinting company..

Old 06-06-2012, 02:57 PM

1,609 posts, read 4,688,180 times
I have fixed a couple by going to a paneling store,bought a few 8 foot lengths of thin 2 inch wide plastic or wood strips.Cut them just a bit longer than the with of your cab so they will snap in or under the side moldings and stay in place.Do this every 2 or 3 foot the length of the cab.

Old 06-06-2012, 09:28 PM

I just put up more plastic thumb tacks & it its been holding for 3 yrs. My sunvisors dont stay up so i removed the drivers side one. Its a pita when i am traveling towards the sunrise or sunset.

Old 06-06-2012, 09:36 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
With 98 chevy truck I went to a indepedent shop and they put non-OEN headliner at a very reasonable price in it.Basic it came with cloth stuck to precut cardboard looking surface and didn't take much time for them to replace.You proably can order one yourself frominternet suppliers now.

Old 06-07-2012, 01:35 PM

Sagging headliners are a pita & i have had a few in my day. My 2nd car i owned (68 cougar) had a nasty sagging & torn up headliner. Had i not sold the car 2 months after i bought it i would of replaced the black headliner. As far the car i have now i did make the headliner worse by stapling it up in certain areas. It looks terrible but you can only notice it in the daytime so its ok.

Old 11-05-2012, 07:14 PM

1 posts, read 11,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
Not trying to revive a dead thread but thought I'd ask....since I'm in the same boat.

My 91 S-10's headliner is/was sagging, and to make matters worse, the styrofoam backing was cracked in several areas.

Now my truck is a beater truck but I do want to make it look a little better on the inside than it does now. I'd like to do it on a budget as much as possible.

I've wondered what my options are. Maybe a piece of carpet the size of the headliner? Has anyone tried carpet for a headliner?

Or can styrofoam be repaired once cracked?
Forget rugs from walmart or staples. You need headliner fabric. Some upholstery stores may have it but you risk ending up with regular fabric that can't withstand the stress and wear of a headliner.

Unless you want it to look like a different type of ugly I would not recommend repining the headliner and as another poster mentioned before, reapplying adhesive will not get you anywhere because the foam is already oxidized. If you are going to invest any time into fixing a headliner it is so it at the very least looks aesthetic. The only way to get that is by replacing your headliner.

I've just been through the same situation myself, trust me I know. Here's what I did learn from the whole ordeal. The best price (online or offline) for headliner fabric and adhesive is at headlinerfix.com at the $40-$50 range including shipping. Another important reason why I chose this site is because they offer free phone support to help as you install the headliner which is super important if you're around as clueless as I was when I started. I also learned it is not really hard to do and the 2 hours it took (because I had no clue what I was doing) was worth saving upwards of $150-$250 at local shops offering headliner repair. Oh ya, and one more thing

Whatever you do don't get a multipurpose adhesive (like 3M), those things are not built to withstand headliner heat.

This is the voice of experience speaking.

Last edited by RickGarland; 11-05-2012 at 07:26 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive