Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2017, 01:14 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,591,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Their sense of entitlement won't let that happen...
Yeah better to let the sense of entitlement go to the person who wants to rip up the left lane doing 90mph in a 55 zone.

Most people who complain about left lane hogs are the hogs themselves. They ride in the left lane for miles hoping it will break open so they can rip it up the road.

Don't you think it's ironic that people complain about people hogging the left lane while they are doing the same thing? If the left lane looks backed up why would you even jump into it in the first place?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2017, 01:37 PM

17,308 posts, read 12,255,968 times
Bill going through the Oregon legislature right now to fine left lane riders $250.
Slowpoke bill gets in the Senate's 'passing' lane | KATU

It already is something regularly targeted in WA state.

Old 03-30-2017, 01:47 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,591,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Bill going through the Oregon legislature right now to fine left lane riders $250.

So the cops can ticket basically everyone in the left lane not just the one vehicle in the front "slowing" traffic? If the cars behind the slow driver can't pass the cars in the right then they also need to get back in the right lane because they too are creating a problem. Just because there is a slow driver in the left lane doesn't give you the right to stay in the left lane for miles adding to the problem.

Old 03-30-2017, 02:07 PM

5,745 posts, read 4,701,984 times
This should be required reading for all Prius drivers.

Old 03-30-2017, 02:09 PM

Obviously they would just ticket the person at the front.

The mountain roads here have pull off areas for slow traffic. If you form a line of 5 or more cars behind you, you must use them.

Old 03-31-2017, 06:26 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,753,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSS429 View Post
did you feel the need to dredge this old thread back up cause the other one was locked ?
The other thread being locked got me to looking for old threads on the topic, and then I found this post about lane courtesy month and thought it was a good idea. Different take on the issue.

Old 03-31-2017, 10:28 AM

1,619 posts, read 1,102,165 times
So, if the speed limit is 60 and I am already doing 70 in the left lane, will I get pulled over if I do 75? I'm just asking because I could be doing over 70 and someone in a big, jacked up truck will be on my ass. WTF?

Old 03-31-2017, 10:47 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,290,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pretty in black View Post
So, if the speed limit is 60 and I am already doing 70 in the left lane, will I get pulled over if I do 75? I'm just asking because I could be doing over 70 and someone in a big, jacked up truck will be on my ass. WTF?
Move right and let law enforcement worry about the people going fast enough to get reckless driving tickets.... No need to try to be the speed police. Besides, plenty of people who go the speed limit will be trying to google search with their phones while driving.. Most speeders are paying attention to the road at least.

Old 03-31-2017, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pretty in black View Post
Going 45 or 120, if there is room on the right you get out of the left lane. Then just bounce over to pass as you come up on a car then back again.

Old 03-31-2017, 11:34 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post

Just to note, there are already laws on the books in most states (and have been for donkey's years which begs the question why some seem to be totally unaware of them when talking about slow traffic moving right laws) fining those who violate the speed limit. Oregon 811.109 (just one of the pertinent Oregon statutes regarding speed limits):

2015 ORS 811.109¹
Penalties for speed violations

(1) Violation of a specific speed limit imposed under law or of a posted speed limit is punishable as follows:
(a) One to 10 miles per hour in excess of the speed limit is a Class D traffic violation.
(b) 11 to 20 miles per hour in excess of the speed limit is a Class C traffic violation.
(c) 21 to 30 miles per hour in excess of the speed limit is a Class B traffic violation.
(d) Over 30 miles per hour in excess of the speed limit is a Class A traffic violation.
(2) Notwithstanding subsection (1) of this section, if the speed limit is 65 miles per hour or greater and:
(a) The person is exceeding the speed limit by 10 miles per hour or less, the offense is a Class C traffic violation.
(b) The person is exceeding the speed limit by more than 10 miles per hour but not more than 20 miles per hour, the offense is a Class B traffic violation.
(c) The person is exceeding the speed limit by more than 20 miles per hour, the offense is a Class A traffic violation.
(3) Violation of the basic speed rule by exceeding a designated speed posted under ORS 810.180 (Designation of maximum speeds) is punishable as follows:
(a) One to 10 miles per hour in excess of the designated speed is a Class D traffic violation.
(b) 11 to 20 miles per hour in excess of the designated speed is a Class C traffic violation.
(c) 21 to 30 miles per hour in excess of the designated speed is a Class B traffic violation.
(d) Over 30 miles per hour in excess of the designated speed is a Class A traffic violation.
(4) In addition to a fine imposed under subsection (1), (2) or (3) of this section, a court may order a suspension of driving privileges for up to 30 days if a person exceeds a speed limit or designated speed by more than 30 miles per hour and the person has received at least one prior conviction under ORS 811.100 (Violation of basic speed rule) or 811.111 (Violating a speed limit) within 12 months of the date of the current offense.
(5) Notwithstanding subsections (1) to (3) of this section, if a person drives 100 miles per hour or greater when the person commits a violation described in this section, the person commits a specific fine traffic violation. The presumptive fine for a violation under this subsection is $1,150, and upon conviction the court shall order a suspension of driving privileges for not less than 30 days nor more than 90 days.
(6) When a court orders a suspension under subsection (4) or (5) of this section, the court shall prepare and send to the Department of Transportation an order of suspension of driving privileges of the person. Upon receipt of an order under this subsection, the department shall take action as directed under ORS 809.280 (Department procedures following court order of suspension or revocation). [1995 c.383 §14; 2003 c.819 §17; 2005 c.491 §1; 2011 c.597 §§96,319]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive