Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How often do you honk or get honked at
Dont drive / Never got honked at 6 9.68%
A couple times every year 31 50.00%
A couple times every month 13 20.97%
A couple times every week 7 11.29%
A couple times every day 5 8.06%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2014, 03:41 PM

1,245 posts, read 923,125 times

Advertisements

I honk at pedumbstrians and idiot bicyclists, I don't honk at the ones that behave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2014, 04:34 PM

24,448 posts, read 25,984,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
To the OP, are you an attractive woman? Maybe that is why you are getting honked at so much.
It is rare to hear a horn around here but they are usually sounded to warn someone they are gettign too close or just did something stupid.
I occasionally hear kindly toots and thumbs up when I drive my sports car.
In my truck I have the regular horn and on a seperate button an AOOGHA horn. I like to sound that one for friends and to scare animals when they get too close to the road.
Other than that we don't hear too many horns on the Cape.
OP is a guy.

Old 07-04-2014, 04:39 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,824,867 times
i am rarely honked at, or honk my horn.

Old 07-04-2014, 04:50 PM

19,116 posts, read 25,313,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Pretty sure in NYC aggressive horn honking is a requirement to pass your drivers test. If you know any NYC drivers it's the only thing they know how to do.
Many of those NYC drivers would likely wind up veering off the road because they had to look at the steering wheel for an extended amount of time in order to locate the horn button(s).

When people don't usually begin driving until after they are 30 years old, and then only drive on an occasional weekend, it becomes apparent in everything that they do behind the wheel. If you can find a NYC driver who doesn't manage to do something...careless...stupid...or just plain reckless every 5 minutes or so, you have found the exception to the rule.

The only good thing about cars from NYC is that you can usually hear them or smell them before you even see them, so you do get a pretty good warning that an inept driver is approaching.

Old 07-04-2014, 05:28 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,949,008 times
Never here. But in my previous area (Rio Grande Valley, TX), the car horn is considered an acceptable adjunct to normal conversation. It often has nothing at all to do with driving, & is often used to alert friends and family you have arrived in the neighborhood, you are leaving the neighborhood, or you are on your way to or from work.

Old 07-04-2014, 05:54 PM

11,758 posts, read 14,646,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
I consider my horn to be a "Nearby Driver Stupidity Alert" system. It gets sounded frequently around here!

How often do I get honked at? Hardly ever, but when I do, it's usually by drivers that take offense to my pointing out their lack of driving skills by honking at them.

Most are too busy doing whatever it is they're doing besides focusing on the road to honk back. But I've observed that most don't even understand why I was honking at them in the first place so they're too confused to honk back!

Old 07-04-2014, 05:58 PM

1,151 posts, read 2,036,695 times
I use the horn whenever I feel the situation calls for it, which isn't very often, but essentially any time I suspect someone might be unaware of my presence, and their lack of awareness (be it deliberate or due to something beyond their control) may result in them hitting me.

I don't understand why some people take it as a personal insult; the horn is there for a reason! If people can't see me, I want to make sure they can hear me.

An example of a time I would be beeping the horn: someone coming out of a driveway or alley, but his view is obstructed by a vehicle parked on the shoulder. I see the nose or trunk of the car, but can't see the driver, and he can't see me. In that situation, I will always honk the horn. Why on earth would I not?

If you are using the horn as an after the fact, "you just cut me off" signal, you aren't using it right. It's meant as a preventative measure, to be used before the guy cuts you off, thereby avoiding the situation outright.

Old 07-04-2014, 10:18 PM

1,871 posts, read 2,097,018 times
I try to only honk in emergency situations. The exceptions would be if I am leaving my parents or family I may honk goodbye but that is pretty rare. I believe honking should be reserved for emergency situations so if someone cuts out in front of me I will honk or if I'm in accident I will honk.

Old 07-04-2014, 10:29 PM

503 posts, read 1,203,894 times
I drive slow and easy. Many people are in a hurry and can't drive fast enough. I frequently drive on a road where it is posted 35 MPH. I drive 35 MPH and still some will honk at me. At a red light, when the light turns green some want to bury the gas pedal and get angry when I don't. Speed Kills......

Old 07-05-2014, 12:25 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,661,576 times
In Palm Springs or San Diego? Almost never. In Los Angeles, where there's a relatively high number of a-holes, it usually happens at least once every time I'm there.

Last edited by AnUnidentifiedMale; 07-05-2014 at 12:34 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive