Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2014, 04:02 PM

7,887 posts, read 11,401,514 times

Advertisements

Why would I pay for early retirement benefits and buy a less reliable vehicle from GM than any Asian maker? GM pays healthcare without contribution from older workers, is their car worth paying extra for this cost? Hell no
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2014, 05:20 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,706,969 times
GM was dumb to get rid of Pontiac IMO. Its target audience was young first time buyers(as was Saturn) and without those they removed a huge chunk of the market.

Old 07-18-2014, 07:05 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,586,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Fleet sales are not a good indicator of the quality or appeal of a vehicle. Individuals shop for, and choose a vehicle from the selection available. Well at least most people do. Not Eddie1278 since his pool is defined by GM.

Avis doesn't shop for mid-size cars one by one. They buy 20K (or whatever the number is) at a special price directly from the manufacturer.

Yes it is still sales and revenue. But it is not as good an indicator of the brand's desirability. It helps an automaker keep the factories running.
Yep I'm the only loyal buyer of GM products me myself and I... keep telling yourself that and stop being jealous because people like a certain brand. Most people stick to brands that give them what they want...you do not and make up the minority. I buy same brand vehicles, toothpaste, laundry detergent, foods, clothes, sneakers I can go on and on. I try other stuff but always come back to the tried and true. I have been with Geico for almpost 12 years now in a row, Comcast forever and tons of other companies I have been loyal to. People like me are what keep businesses going. If everyone hopped around like you we wouldn't have any large companies.

Old 07-18-2014, 07:50 PM

2,025 posts, read 4,172,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Whether GM will survive in the long term is questionable...I personally doubt it, simply because they have a sort of collapse mentality engrained in their culture.

Regardless, you have to admire their ability to take a customer who comes in because his car has been recalled and turn that customer into a buyer of a new vehicle. That is where the sales 'pop' came from.

Walk in the door pizzed; walk out the door with a new buggy and four more years of car payments. That is a pretty good sales job IMHO.
They call that the "new puppy" sale....you drive in with your defective sled and they take you for a drive in a new car, which reminds you just how badly yours has deteriorated over the years. Then you fall in love with the new puppy. Hey, maybe these recalls are the only way GM can drive the traffic into the showroom, captive audience and all.

Old 07-18-2014, 11:58 PM

2,166 posts, read 3,382,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outafocus View Post
Chrysler was bailed out by Carter, another s#@&head that inhabited the White House. Of course Lee Iacocca was an honorable man, and paid the loan back early. Even the slugs in the UAW made concessions to keep their lazy inept butts working.
Real honorable of you to call any president a s#@&head. People that dish out that kind of language usually aren't the types that would ascend to an office like the presidency in the first place.

No matter the political flavor you prefer, have some basic respect.

Old 07-19-2014, 06:18 AM

4,625 posts, read 12,287,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang84 View Post
Real honorable of you to call any president a s#@&head. People that dish out that kind of language usually aren't the types that would ascend to an office like the presidency in the first place.

No matter the political flavor you prefer, have some basic respect.
There will always be weak minded sheeple who ascribe to single party politics. They count on it, and the pundits profit from it.

Old 07-19-2014, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
There will always be weak minded sheeple who ascribe to single party politics. They count on it, and the pundits profit from it.
To me it doesn't matter if people disagree politically, but it's the rhetoric and charged language toward someone they don't personally know simply because they disagree with the politics. Presidents don't just breeze into the White House, and none of them deserve the label of s#@&head.

Old 07-19-2014, 12:39 PM

1,716 posts, read 3,581,393 times
Quote:
To me it doesn't matter if people disagree politically, but it's the rhetoric and charged language toward someone they don't personally know simply because they disagree with the politics. Presidents don't just breeze into the White House, and none of them deserve the label of s#@&head.
It's the same mentality that gets us the people we do have in Congress.

Old 07-19-2014, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Luxury View Post
It's the same mentality that gets us the people we do have in Congress.
Very true. I guess people would rather vote in someone that will raise hell / point fingers than someone willing to work with the other side and do what is best for the nation as a whole.

Old 07-19-2014, 07:42 PM

3,046 posts, read 4,122,758 times
Quote:
Very true. I guess people would rather vote in someone that will raise hell / point fingers than someone willing to work with the other side and do what is best for the nation as a whole.
That will never happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive