Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 01:16 PM

825 posts, read 2,819,925 times

Advertisements

2003 Buick Century Custom with 39,000 miles.

At speeds between 55 mph and 65 mph, the car gives off a shudder/vibration. Very annoying and is noticeable through the steering wheel and the seat.

I know that the issue is not tire related as new tires were just installed (alignment and balanced all checked). The Goodyear people said that my right two rims were bent. I replaced these two wheels but I noticed the vibration again today. The new wheel rims were placed on the rear of the car.

Along with this issue, the low tire indicator light is on even though all the tires are filled to 35 psi.

Thank you for any advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2014, 02:12 PM

45,374 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Tie rod ends would be what I'd think with a car that age (yeah, I know it has extremely low mileage).

Those tire indicators are weird. My wife's 2010 Forester has an individual sending unit in each wheel which goes bad after X wheel rotations (at around 100K). She now has 105K on it and guess what popped up last week.

Old 08-05-2014, 05:58 AM

2,147 posts, read 3,590,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muffinman View Post

At speeds between 55 mph and 65 mph, the car gives off a shudder/vibration. Very annoying and is noticeable through the steering wheel and the seat.

I know that the issue is not tire related as new tires were just installed (alignment and balanced all checked). The Goodyear people said that my right two rims were bent. I replaced these two wheels but I noticed the vibration again today. The new wheel rims were placed on the rear of the car.

Along with this issue, the low tire indicator light is on even though all the tires are filled to 35 psi.

At my shop we see tire vibration problems on a regular basis despite the tires are new and supposed to be balanced. I would advise rotating tires from front to rear and if the problem CHANGES -- not necessarily disappears -- this will confirm there is a still a tire/wheel balance problem.

I watched a big national tire chain store try to balance the brand new Michelins they put on my 96 Ford F250 crew cab diesel. These were too big for the balancer at my shop which is for cars and lighter trucks. Every time they spun the wheels they got a different result. I finally had to insist they mount the wheels to the balancer with a special adapter using the lugnut holes as opposed to a center cone, and this made the result better, but still not perfect.

Don in Austin

Old 08-05-2014, 06:52 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,483,864 times
I had similar problems after getting tires rotated and balanced. They messed up the balancing. Tires were rebalanced and the issue went away.

Old 08-05-2014, 07:26 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,076,689 times
When you buy tires and they are balanced, do you really think that 19 year old working his first job for 3 months, making $8 an hour knows what he is doing or cares that he gets it right.

Old 08-06-2014, 01:19 AM

1,965 posts, read 3,309,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muffinman View Post

So were the wheel replacements on the rear or the right two? I believe the tire people are milking you.

Old 08-06-2014, 05:37 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,882,711 times
If you've balanced more than once to no avail... are these new aftermarket rims you replaced it with? Aftermarket rims tend to be cheaper made with less quality control and can come out-of-round even if new. I dealt with it for years before finally risking another set and it was better.

Old 08-06-2014, 05:45 AM

9,131 posts, read 20,009,690 times
If the problem did not exist prior to the new tires, then I would say either it is a wheel out of balance, or one of the new tires has a manufacturing defect.

Rotating the tires is a good trick to test this, as your wobble should move with the tire.

If the problem remains in the same place with a rotation, or yf the problem did exist prior to the new tires, I would start to look at the overall condition of the suspension as a possible cause.

Old 08-06-2014, 06:03 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,700,202 times
A 55-65 mph vibration, but smooth at slower or faster is a classic balancing issue that a RoadForce balancer will pick up. With one of these they not only add weights to balance, but spin the tire around the wheel to balance out any flat spots.

FYI every one of my cheap/Chinese/off-brand tires fell victim to this right around 15-20k miles. You can rotate the problem tires to the back for a temporary fix (unless you load the rear end down, then you'll feel it through the seats). The real fix is to replace with high quality tires once you can't stand it or your vehicle becomes a hazard.

http://www.hogantire.com/shop-for-ti...oad-force.aspx

Old 08-06-2014, 09:33 AM

17,579 posts, read 15,254,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
When you buy tires and they are balanced, do you really think that 19 year old working his first job for 3 months, making $8 an hour knows what he is doing or cares that he gets it right.
Even the best can have a wheel weight get thrown off.. And it's especially likely to happen right at the start.. But.. It would be highly unlikely that the exact same problem would come back with a weight being thrown.

There's so many possibilities here.. From what has been mentioned to motor mounts or even the transmission. I certainly wouldn't suspect either of those first thing.. Best to get it to someone who can drive it and 'feel' where the problem is coming from. I can't do it, but good mechanics have that feel and can tell where a vibration is coming from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive