Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2014, 12:28 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,768,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Old saying "to err is human". Yes, I have used a phone while driving prior to recent laws. I nearly caused an accident and learned from my mistake. The attitude of the OP tells me he doesn't feel what he did was wrong and so won't have learned his lesson.
Regarding the bolded part in pink...

OP:

If that is correct, then why did you post your dilemma on this message board?

Exactly what type of responses were you expecting to get?

Exactly what type of responses were you wanting to get?

Old 08-10-2014, 12:46 PM

4,196 posts, read 6,294,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snugglegirl05 View Post
Regarding the bolded part in pink...

OP:

If that is correct, then why did you post your dilemma on this message board?

Exactly what type of responses were you expecting to get?

Exactly what type of responses were you wanting to get?
Please refer to Post #162*//www.city-data.com/forum/36010488-post162.html

Old 08-10-2014, 05:02 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,888,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking-man View Post
Thanks for the post Chris.
Listen, i understand what folks are upset about and believe me, i get upset when i see people texting and driving too. I've stopped texting alltogether (app or no app) since the ticket, so i guess you could say a lesson has been learned.

The original question however has nothing to do with safety or the right or wrong of texting. I don't think anyone in their right mind would argue FOR texting and driving. It is a distraction and it IS wrong...regardless of what the law says.

BUT....

The issue is regarding the law (don't like it? change it!). The law (as you saw in earlier posts) says that you can NOT text manually and drive. Technically, i was NOT texting and driving. Simple. Was it distracting? probably. Was it dangerous? probably. should i have pulled over and sent the text? Yes! Was it against the law? NO! should i have gotten a ticket for not paying attention? Probably. Should i have gotten a reckless ticket? Probably. Should i have gotten a ticket for texting and driving? No!

If you or others on here don't get the point, then you're all....well....bozos!

hehe
By your own incrimination you qualify for BOZO status. That's the real point and we all get it.

However, the one question that begs to be asked...Where was the phone and how did a LEO know you had it? If it was in your hands the term "manual" fits, no? It dosn't matter what you were doing, the LEO saw it in your hands and he made the judgement call. As far as he was concerned you could have been talking nonstop for hours as well as surfing the web and updating your FB status. Do you have an eye witness who can backup your story?

You do know "hands free" apps never truly are, correct?

I suggest you roll over for this and quit trying to wriggle out from something you brought upon yourself. You will never convince any but another bozo who feels wronged for the fact he was caught red handed as well. He might let you cry on his shoulder.

You may as well be on a soapbox crying out loud "I didn't do it!", "It's not fair!", "It's not written that way!" or "It's not my fault!". What would be your excuse if you happened to run down someone or hit the LEO car? 5 mph may not seem very fast but in an airport situation where everything but your mind is moving at 3x that speed you may as well be doing 30. Especially when the taxi and shuttle bus are converging into that opening in traffic directly ahead of you. Oops...you weren't paying attention as you were playing candy crush or something. You didn't even see the LEO who flagged you down until it was too late.

Gavel says "guilty".

Old 08-10-2014, 07:40 PM

17,563 posts, read 15,226,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sj08054 View Post
Well... Yeah.. I don't even want to consider this going on much longer.

But.. Let's just say that after some online research.. I believe the guy at least so far as the court info.

Old 08-11-2014, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
By your own incrimination you qualify for BOZO status. That's the real point and we all get it.

However, the one question that begs to be asked...Where was the phone and how did a LEO know you had it? If it was in your hands the term "manual" fits, no? It dosn't matter what you were doing, the LEO saw it in your hands and he made the judgement call. As far as he was concerned you could have been talking nonstop for hours as well as surfing the web and updating your FB status. Do you have an eye witness who can backup your story?

You do know "hands free" apps never truly are, correct?

I suggest you roll over for this and quit trying to wriggle out from something you brought upon yourself. You will never convince any but another bozo who feels wronged for the fact he was caught red handed as well. He might let you cry on his shoulder.

Gavel says "guilty".
how do you figure? if you activate it by simply saying "voice to text" even when the phone is sitting on the table, you say your text, it confirms it for you and sends it.....then automatically reads any incoming texts for you, how is that "never truly hands-free"? I'm gonna guess that you're not going to answer that question.

Ps. i'm going to let you do all the "rolling over".....i heard you're pretty good at that

Old 08-11-2014, 08:01 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,257,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking-man View Post
how do you figure? if you activate it by simply saying "voice to text" even when the phone is sitting on the table, you say your text, it confirms it for you and sends it.....then automatically reads any incoming texts for you, how is that "never truly hands-free"? I'm gonna guess that you're not going to answer that question.

Ps. i'm going to let you do all the "rolling over".....i heard you're pretty good at that
If it were truly "hands free" by your definition, it would still have been sitting on the table when you went to the airport rather than in your hand.

Old 08-11-2014, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
If it were truly "hands free" by your definition, it would still have been sitting on the table when you went to the airport rather than in your hand.
you clearly don't understand (or didn't bother to read ) the law.
manual refers to entering letters into the phone. Holding the phone is not against the law. Read it before you spew nonsense.

here's the law: https://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/leg...od+46.2-1078.1

Old 08-11-2014, 11:01 AM

359 posts, read 779,197 times
so, when is your court date? I am sorry if you posted it and I lost it in the middle of all the whinning.

Old 08-11-2014, 11:14 AM

2,573 posts, read 3,501,202 times
So you are going to tell the judge that phone indeed was in your hand but you were not using your fingers to type a message? How does a cop figure out what you are really doing when you hold a phone in your hand sends a text message? If it is hands free device, do not touch it or hold it in your hand and makes it really hand-free and send the text message - let's see how a cop is going to stop you!

Old 08-11-2014, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscgto View Post
so, when is your court date? I am sorry if you posted it and I lost it in the middle of all the whinning.
apology accepted
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive