Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2014, 02:39 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,388,517 times

Advertisements

I had to almost use 2 feet to slam on my brakes when a pick up truck turned left in front of
me when I was going straight at a green light...I stopped about 2-3 feet before hitting him.
(Sounds far, but at 25-30 mph...it was really a close call.)
He was looking down at the seat picking up his phone...or looking at it to see who was calling...
left hand on the wheel.
He never had any idea what just happened...bec there was NO time to even hit the horn.
I was quite shaken up for awhile, whew!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2014, 04:32 AM

4,625 posts, read 12,296,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I'm thinking 3 days in county jail for the first offense. 1 year for a second offense would cure this idiocy.
Well, we see how well 20 years for a joint worked for smoking pot?

Old 08-10-2014, 05:22 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,326,193 times
How about kill switches inside the car that is activated when a phone is used any time the car is not in park?

Old 08-10-2014, 06:27 AM

774 posts, read 2,602,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I'm thinking 3 days in county jail for the first offense. 1 year for a second offense would cure this idiocy.
I know people think the is a BS thread but i agree with you. 3 days mandatory lock up would be a good start but i'm not sure it would really stop people. In todays world you need to hit people where it hurts and thet's in the wallet. $500 first offense, $1500 second should do it.

For the record I'd rather be on the road with a drunk than someone texting any day. At least the drunk is paying attention.

Old 08-10-2014, 07:18 AM

25,849 posts, read 16,532,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DELL37 View Post
I know people think the is a BS thread but i agree with you. 3 days mandatory lock up would be a good start but i'm not sure it would really stop people. In todays world you need to hit people where it hurts and thet's in the wallet. $500 first offense, $1500 second should do it.

For the record I'd rather be on the road with a drunk than someone texting any day. At least the drunk is paying attention.
Exactly! Just put them in the slammer for 1-3 days for the first offense. No rise in insurance or nothing on their driving record. Give them a chance to learn their lesson without it costing them huge money.

If they do it again? Well then throw the book at them. I know if it was me? And I sat in county for 3 days for doing something stupid like texting and driving? I would shut the thing off before I start the car for the rest of my life.

Old 08-10-2014, 07:28 AM

24 posts, read 26,796 times
Meh. No jail time, more like community service in jails or somewhere unpleasant like a slaughterhouse where the offender has something to do with their hands cuz if they're texting and driving, they usually end up in an accident anyway.

You can't cure idiocy.

Old 08-10-2014, 07:53 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
I don't agree with jail time.
You can simply do a big $500 fine and a one day impound. That will hurt financially and inconvenience the offender. Hurt them in the wallet.

Old 08-10-2014, 08:21 AM

1,831 posts, read 3,201,438 times
What I often see is that people will pick up their phone when stopped at a red light. They will read or text. The light will change to green and they sit there looking at their phone. Recently, I saw this happen on a major highway. When the light changed, 2 semis continued to sit side by side. People honked and they moved. As I finally passed each truck, both drivers were texting as they slowly geared up. It would be easy to catch these folks by just monitoring the major intersections that have longer waits at red lights.

Old 08-10-2014, 08:37 AM

17,596 posts, read 15,266,523 times
Ok.. But let's add talking to passengers, yelling at the kids in the back seat, reading billboards along the side of the road, eating, searching the glove box, reading a map, programming a GPS, applying makeup, rubbernecking at accidents and daydreaming to the list of things that get the three days.

All the same thing. They all distract drivers.

The thought that texting and only texting is the leading cause of accidents is a steaming pile.

Old 08-10-2014, 08:41 AM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,737,395 times
Talk to any police officer and they will tell you the number one cause of accidents is cell phone usage. I think if an accident is caused by a cell phone the penalties should be harsher. Somewhat similar to a hit and run. If no injuries a misdemeanor, if injuries a felony. Not sure about jail time, but I'm sure it would become a factor with the felony.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive