Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2014, 09:32 AM

15,446 posts, read 21,362,657 times

Advertisements

I doubt if I'm smart enough to place new designs on our justice system but here's the result of a 20-year old texting when he drove head-on into an acquaintance of mine. Everyone died.

The car was the Kia owned by my acquaintance.

Last edited by High_Plains_Retired; 09-09-2014 at 05:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2014, 09:47 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,299,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
I doubt if I'm smart enough to place new designs on our justice system but here's the result of a 20-year old texting when he drove head-on into an acquaintance of mine. Everyone died.

that's terrible. thanks for sharing.

Old 08-11-2014, 10:51 AM

2,511 posts, read 2,819,196 times
Have the courts slap a $100 monthly charge--payable to the county--on their phone bill and place them on an offenders list. They'll either pay it or close the account. But have new providers check the offenders list and not issue them a new cell phone if they're on the list.

Old 08-11-2014, 01:55 PM

16,216 posts, read 11,341,179 times
Texting is a "refinement"?? of the old adolescent game of passing notes in class -- as such it appeals to the natural resentment of authority and structure among the young. Unfortunately, at that age, most people don't quickly recognize the possible consequences of what seems like "harmless" rebellion.

But coming down hard -- mandatory time in adult venues like the county jail -- might backfire. The point here would seem to be not "harsh" punishment so much as forfeiture of even a greater amount of time and autonomy than what the abuser originally though they were gaining. And the forced subservience should be conducted in as dull, bureaucratic and time-consuming a venue as possible.

Old 08-11-2014, 02:29 PM

16,604 posts, read 8,619,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post

Sadly your acquaintance is not around to push for legislation to help curb this epidemic because his young life was snuffed out senselessly.
Unfortunately he is not alone as many people are being maimed, paralyzed, and killed by these texting zombies.
It boils down to their own selfishness and narcissism thinking every moment of their lives is important enough to communicate with other people just as depraved. Not that conducting business or other productive things would justify distracted driving, but the typical text of OMG, LOL, etc., results in tragedy more often than most imagine.

Old 08-11-2014, 02:31 PM

5,481 posts, read 8,581,436 times
I dont condone texting while driving whatsoever, but if you're going to impose fines/imprisonment for texting while driving, then shouldnt the same apply to changing your radio station while driving?...adjusting the hvac controls while driving?....adjusting your mirror while driving?...holding on to and drinking a beverage while driving?....talking to any passengers in the car while driving?....etc. All those mentioned fall under "distracted driving". Many people like to single out cell phone use as the main reason for accidents yet distracted driving accidents have been happening for many years before the cell phone even existed!

Old 08-11-2014, 03:19 PM

854 posts, read 1,483,155 times
Do we really need to throw any more people in prison?
With that said, yes text-drivers are idiots.

Old 08-11-2014, 03:41 PM

Location: inside, where it is warm or cool depending on the season
117 posts, read 140,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEarthBeneathMe View Post
Jail time is stupid.

How about each time you are caught your insurance goes up a little bit.
I second that. Or your cellphone service is suspended for 48 hours and then 72 hours and then...so on.

Old 08-11-2014, 03:42 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,362,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Sadly your acquaintance is not around to push for legislation to help curb this epidemic because his young life was snuffed out senselessly.
Thank you for the reply but I apologize. Perhaps I should have provided a bit more details. My acquaintance was in her late 60s and her husband was in his early 70s. It was the 20-year old who swerved into their lane while texting.

I agree that this falls within the category of epidemic. I lost a Camry, and almost my wife, a few years ago to a lady using a cell phone.

Old 08-11-2014, 04:41 PM

17,599 posts, read 15,272,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
The reason is because texting requires your eyes to be off the road far more often than eating or talking to a passenger. In fact, I can talk and watch the road at the same time. I don't have to stare at the person in my passenger seat in order to carry on a conversation. Eating is only a big nuisance if you're stupid enough to order messy foods from the drive-thru. If you have to constantly adjust your food so it isn't spilling all over the place, dropping things onto your lap, and falling apart in your hands, then you shouldn't be driving with it. But a lot of foods are "self contained" such as French fries and nuggets and most fast food burgers (just don't order one with an insane amount of toppings; a regular Quarter Pounder, for instance, is usually not an issue).

I just want to point out that it appears that you're saying it's OK to eat a Quarter Pounder while driving, but eating a Whopper is reckless.

I'd really love to see how that law appears on the books.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive