Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2014, 11:07 AM

5,444 posts, read 6,996,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwgto View Post
"Spoiler Alert" - -
I see what you did there
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2014, 11:42 AM

3,147 posts, read 3,503,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrendanSWM View Post
A spoiler can provide advantages even at lower speeds. However it is a fairly small advantage and it must be engineered and tested. Some are engineered and tested, some are simply tacked on by the aesthetics designers and can actually provide a disadvantage if improperly configured. Cheap after market tack on spoilers almost uniformly degrade performance. There are custom design spoilers engineered for specific vehicles that are excellent, but they are quite pricey.

(Per our fleet manager, a former GM and Ford design engineer).

He gave me an incomprehensible lesson about spoilers and wings and the differences and how they work and do not work an I understood almost none of it.

It would be fun to try out various spoilers in our driving training program, but we only use vehicles that do not attract attention, so there is no point in learning with something you will not have. We use a lot of vans, Suburbans and large sedans. All of them would look a bit still with some sort of wing attached to them and definitely attract unwanted attention.
I am sorry, but I study aerodynamics. These are half-truths at best.

Most wings work, period. Not a minority. They make the air "see" a gentler slope on the tail of most vehicles which reduces turbulence and decreases the low pressure zone. Not only do aftermarket spoilers achieve this, a block of triangle shaped wood would. It does not take extreme engineering and testing. ... and that is without taking downforce into account at all. Most people think wings are for downforce only, but it is only one of a few aspects in which they improve performance.

People say that the advantage provided is "fairly small", but it really isn't. A 1-2% reduction in drag and rear lift does a lot for braking, tire grip, fuel economy, etc... Yes, 1-2% IS a "fairly small" number, but it provides advantages in 4-5 different aspects.

Nobody is saying it makes as much difference as say going to forced induction or anything like that, but to say that it is "negligible" or anything similar is pretty dishonest.

I don't get this concept most people have that wings only work at speeds of like 150+ ... in that case, they wouldn't be used in racing to improve handling in corners where the cars are going anywhere from 30-80 mph. I race cars, and it is a noticeable difference in the corners between two identical cars where one doesn't have a wing and another does.

In truth, most aftermarket wings/spoilers will get the job done... you would have to buy an especially stupid design to reap no benefits from it.

Old 09-25-2014, 06:16 PM

307 posts, read 685,319 times
For me it's just for looks. Cars like the Challenger, mustang, and Charger look better with it. But the fast and the furious look I don't like. I could care less if it works. I don't go to the track or race on the street. But if I had the three I listed, I would get the spoiler.

Old 09-25-2014, 07:50 PM

24,474 posts, read 26,012,991 times
My 1998 Grand Prix looked nekkid without a spoiler.

Old 09-25-2014, 08:51 PM

3,046 posts, read 4,128,554 times
The supper b roadrunner had that huge spoiler it was just for show.

Old 09-26-2014, 02:34 AM

4,856 posts, read 5,825,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
Do you know how the boundary layer works, and why spoilers/wings low on the trunk work to keep it attached all the way to the back of the car? No, apparently you don't.
I know how spoilers, and wings work, I don't however know what you're talking about.

Old 09-26-2014, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vannort54 View Post
The supper b roadrunner had that huge spoiler it was just for show.
If you're talking about the 70 superbird, it's wing actually does work. I already explained this.

Old 09-26-2014, 07:49 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,296,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxRhapsody View Post
I know how spoilers, and wings work, I don't however know what you're talking about.
They got this new thing out called Google that can help the ignorant become educated. Look up boundary layer as it relates to car aerodynamics and you'll get it. Or just read the stuff that Xander posted.

Old 09-29-2014, 04:13 PM

Oh, wow, I didn't know this Google existed, I spend most of my time on youtube, blogger, checking my gmail, and updating my crappy phone through the Playstore. That still proves some of them don't work. Best example is the foxbody mustang hatchbacks, none of the factory wings, and spoilers do anything- at all. They are out of the path of most of the air moving around the car.

Old 09-29-2014, 04:37 PM

3,147 posts, read 3,503,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxRhapsody View Post
Oh, wow, I didn't know this Google existed, I spend most of my time on youtube, blogger, checking my gmail, and updating my crappy phone through the Playstore. That still proves some of them don't work. Best example is the foxbody mustang hatchbacks, none of the factory wings, and spoilers do anything- at all. They are out of the path of most of the air moving around the car.
Wrong.

The wing on the back makes the air "see" a smoother transition from the roof to the back of the car than is otherwise present.

The fact that there is an area that is "out of the path of most of the air moving around the car" in itself creates an area of air flow separation. The flow of air becomes turbulent and a low-pressure zone is created, increasing drag and instability. Adding a rear spoiler makes the air "see" a longer, gentler slope from the roof to the spoiler, which helps to delay flow separation and create higher pressure in front of the spoiler.

This reduces drag and increases stability.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive