Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 03:20 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,278,266 times

Advertisements

This page brings back a ton of memory. Sure, there are a lot of losers on that list but some were fine cars and in fact sold A LOT. Maverick was a great car and still looks good. I even liked the Gremlin.

Worst Cars Sold in The US During the 70's | Chris on Cars
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2014, 03:35 PM

11,346 posts, read 16,708,690 times
Even though I had two of those cars, Chris is obviously a kid as it was a Datsun B210 not a Nissan B210.

Anyone who was driving in the 70's would know that.

Old 09-30-2014, 03:36 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,180,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
This page brings back a ton of memory. Sure, there are a lot of losers on that list but some were fine cars and in fact sold A LOT. Maverick was a great car and still looks good. I even liked the Gremlin.

Worst Cars Sold in The US During the 70's | Chris on Cars
Not one of those cars was remotely close to being a good car. Some were OK cars. The Gremlin was funky, but not a good car.

These are the cars that the Big 3 used to dig a hole for themselves in the 70s. The X 1/9 was part of the death of Fiat in the US.

Old 09-30-2014, 04:14 PM

4,856 posts, read 5,824,290 times
I like many of those cars, especially the Mavrick.

Old 09-30-2014, 04:15 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,636,151 times
I don't think the VW Thing should be on that list. Except for that Nazi thing, it wasn't a bad car.

Old 09-30-2014, 04:19 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,728,132 times
My mom had a Pacer and my dad a Gremlin (different times in the 70's). Both cars were pretty solid - though grossly underpowered.

My mom later had a Pontiac Astre (Pontiac version of Vega) and it was oil using/burning/leaking piece of crapola.

My best friend's grandparents has a Chevette and drove that thing all over the US.

Old 09-30-2014, 04:26 PM

45,402 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Hyperbole about the Pinto, "thousands" weren't killed and it didn't explode any easier than most other small cars of the era. Especially considering that gas tanks were right in front of the bumper in a lot of models.

The downsized GM cars? Some were not bad looking. The Monte Carlo/Cutlass Supreme/Grand Prix/Regal ones pretty much replicated the lines of the larger ones they replaced.

I knew a few Pacer owners. They remind me of today's Subaru owners with their feelings about those cars.

Old 09-30-2014, 05:35 PM

3,551 posts, read 2,533,348 times
The Maverick was a huge pile of dog doo. How bad - the car was sold until 78 I believe, and by the mid 80s it was very rare to see them on the road. If you did see one it was a rusted out hulk.

Pinto was pretty bad as a car I admit to owning one. The Pintos main attraction was that it did not fall apart quite as fast as the Chevy Vega.

The Mustang II was supposed to be a sporty car but it handled and rode worse than the Pinto. I also owned one of these. Good job almost ruining a legend, Ford.

The Gremlin gets on these lists a lot but they were in general better cars than then the American competition. My brothers 74 Gremlin bought used in 78 with 90K miles, outlived all our family vehicles of that era including a Volkswagan and a Volvo.

The Omni should not be on this list it was a good economy car, roomy, decent ride, didnt beat you up with noise. The 2 door versions were sporty and fun to drive, I owned one of each at different times.

The downsized GMs were hit and miss - my dad had an Olds just like as in the picture but in blue, it was a 78 model, by 1982 it was in poor shape with about 80K. Others had better luck and many of these were still on the road 20 years later in the late 90s.

One model car that should be on this list, is the GM X cars of 1980. Chevrolet called theirs the Citation, and the other divisions all had one too. How bad were these cars, here is a true story....In fall of 1983 I ran into a freind one evening, he said "Hey were going out to eat, I sold my car!" It was a 1980 Citation and he got $125 for it. 3 maybe 4 years old and depreciated to near junk.

Old 09-30-2014, 05:41 PM

4,625 posts, read 12,296,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Hyperbole about the Pinto, "thousands" weren't killed and it didn't explode any easier than most other small cars of the era. Especially considering that gas tanks were right in front of the bumper in a lot of models.

The downsized GM cars? Some were not bad looking. The Monte Carlo/Cutlass Supreme/Grand Prix/Regal ones pretty much replicated the lines of the larger ones they replaced.

I knew a few Pacer owners. They remind me of today's Subaru owners with their feelings about those cars.
There was a study done in the 90's that disproved the fire claims in Pinto. Turns out there were 27 total fires and more than a million units on the road. The Pinto numbers were below most other models averages. It proves the power of media. Hence, the reason posters here push a political agenda, or the paid trolls.

Old 09-30-2014, 05:43 PM

4,625 posts, read 12,296,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unfocused View Post
The Maverick was a huge pile of dog doo. How bad - the car was sold until 78 I believe, and by the mid 80s it was very rare to see them on the road. If you did see one it was a rusted out hulk.

Pinto was pretty bad as a car I admit to owning one. The Pintos main attraction was that it did not fall apart quite as fast as the Chevy Vega.

The Mustang II was supposed to be a sporty car but it handled and rode worse than the Pinto. I also owned one of these. Good job almost ruining a legend, Ford.

The Gremlin gets on these lists a lot but they were in general better cars than then the American competition. My brothers 74 Gremlin bought used in 78 with 90K miles, outlived all our family vehicles of that era including a Volkswagan and a Volvo.

The Omni should not be on this list it was a good economy car, roomy, decent ride, didnt beat you up with noise. The 2 door versions were sporty and fun to drive, I owned one of each at different times.

The downsized GMs were hit and miss - my dad had an Olds just like as in the picture but in blue, it was a 78 model, by 1982 it was in poor shape with about 80K. Others had better luck and many of these were still on the road 20 years later in the late 90s.

One model car that should be on this list, is the GM X cars of 1980. Chevrolet called theirs the Citation, and the other divisions all had one too. How bad were these cars, here is a true story....In fall of 1983 I ran into a freind one evening, he said "Hey were going out to eat, I sold my car!" It was a 1980 Citation and he got $125 for it. 3 maybe 4 years old and depreciated to near junk.
My brother drove a Maverick to 200,000 miles before selling it. Ford inline 6's were bullet proof.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive