Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 07:18 AM

3,377 posts, read 14,622,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieJJ View Post
Lojacks is still good i think but not the most modern type.

It works on a signal signature, unique to the vehicle. The police can punch those details up on their system and can precisely locate it via GPS (global positioning). To my knowledge, it is still an effective deterant to thieves. Soon as the Lojack senses an illegal entry is being made, it can alert you through your Landlines - celfones - emails, upto 5 Details!! And so if the car is parked in the opposite side of the street and you fancy sporting a couple of rounds on an or some idiots then theres your "CUE" or you can just alert the police there and then..

The most modern system i think, is the KARR system, unlike lojack. You have complete access to your vehicles location. ie Because you can log onto their website and punch in the unique ID code of your vehicle, you can keep track of where it is going (Realtime) and where it is which is handy if you have a cheating husband/wife or a wildchild who does'nt suspect in the homing device. Lojack does not have that feature.
"Soon as the Lojack senses an illegal entry is being made, it can alert you through your Landlines - celfones - emails, upto 5 Details!!"

As long as you subscribe to their "early warning recovery system" which is an additional charge. Lojack also recommends having the system checked every couple of years at an additional fee. Like I said earlier it's a pretty good system as long as the vehicle is not moving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2007, 07:22 AM

3,377 posts, read 14,622,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
I've gotten mixed reviews on Lojack. From what I understand it is good, it can transmit thru tunnels and buildings so if a thief does take it and hides it somewhere, it can be traced and found.

But I've also heard that not all police departments have the tracking equipment for Lojack, so if your local PD doesn't have it, then it's of not much use.

Also I've heard a good thief can find the transmitter and destroy it by using some sort of transmitter detector. How true this is I don't know because when you buy Lojack, not even you know where the installed installed it.

But for a Mustang I don't think it matters if the car is a V6 or a V8, if a thief involved with a chop shop sees it as a potential money maker, then guess what....

AND remember car alarms, Lojack, Onstar, disabling the ignition, disabling the fuel pump, etc....might stop all thieves...except for the ones with a tow truck.
I can tell you from past experience that many times Police Officers won't even turn on their LOJACK unit when they start their tour.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive