Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 07:12 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,097,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
The Boxster/Cayman don't use a V6, they use a flat 6. And it is not yet known whether all engine options will be turbo 4s of if a N/A 6 will still be an option.

I'm all about turbo power myself but I'm sympathetic to those who prefer the mechanical simplicity (such as it is these days) and the more linear delivery of N/A.
Yep, flat 6. Don't often talk about Porsche engines on this board.

The two things that I have a problem with are the 911 turbo... What is going to set it apart from the base Carrera/GTS models? And for an SUV, I much prefer a V8 over a turbo powerplant. I have a hard time believing the 7700lb tow rating will remain if they go the V6tt route.

I don't mind that the Boxster/Cayman may get a four, in fact, it would probably make that car even more nimble and tuners would be able to up the boost pretty easily. The previous gen cars couldn't be modded much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2014, 07:38 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,973,648 times
No, not a turbo that would come on a car from the factory. It isn't like they are running huge twin turbos for the track. Turbos are really the way to go for car companies and I am not sure why they aren't used more often. I love mine, but I am a driver, not some SUV cup holder person that doesn't know what driving is.

Old 10-20-2014, 07:44 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
Yep, flat 6. Don't often talk about Porsche engines on this board.

The two things that I have a problem with are the 911 turbo... What is going to set it apart from the base Carrera/GTS models? And for an SUV, I much prefer a V8 over a turbo powerplant. I have a hard time believing the 7700lb tow rating will remain if they go the V6tt route.

I don't mind that the Boxster/Cayman may get a four, in fact, it would probably make that car even more nimble and tuners would be able to up the boost pretty easily. The previous gen cars couldn't be modded much.
I don't think there's much doubt they're going the V6TT route in the Cayenne. It's already a done deal for the Panamera S in lieu of the N/A V8. There's probably still a lot of towing capacity potential in that motor, though if you need 7700lbs they'll likely steer you toward the diesel.

As for what will set the base 911 apart from other variants... state of engine tune and/or engine displacement, same as now. I could even see the flat 4 turbo being the base engine seeing how Porsche claims it will develop "up to 395 horsepower." Call it a 912 if need be so that 911 purists don't faint with a case of the vapors at the mere thought of a 4-cylinder option in their car.

Which brings us to the Boxster/Cayman... it may be possible the 2.7 N/A 6 carries on as the base motor while the turbo 4 is the higher-performance motor if it approaches that 395HP level. Or it could be there's a less potent and more potent version of the turbo 4 planned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
No, not a turbo that would come on a car from the factory. It isn't like they are running huge twin turbos for the track. Turbos are really the way to go for car companies and I am not sure why they aren't used more often. I love mine, but I am a driver, not some SUV cup holder person that doesn't know what driving is.
We get it already -- you're an uber-sophisticated driver, SUV drivers are slack-jawed simpletons, blah blah blah.

Old 10-20-2014, 07:56 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,998,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
A turbocharger and its related component systems should and frequently do last the usable service life of a vehicle without significant issues. That said, turbos add a layer of mechanical complexity which means in practical terms that it's more likely that something will break. Turbos also produce more heat underhood which can accelerate the wear of plastic and rubber components. None of these are issues I'd give a second thought about if I were buying a new or late-model used turbocharged car; they're something to consider if you're picking up an older-model turbocharged car.
I had a VW Passat once. With turbo. Accelerated nicely. Handled nicely. I changed the oil every 3k miles, per mfr recs. Engine failed at 57K miles. Oil channels blocked. Cost me almost 10K to replace it.

Why did it fail? Because the turbo also accelerated oil degradation. If I had changed oil every 2k miles, I would probably never have had a problem.

So, turbos, for me, mean something to be extremely wary of. And VWs? I will never buy another one. Turbo or not.

Old 10-20-2014, 08:32 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,605,154 times
If I lived in a cooler climate I wouldn't be so hesitant to buy a turbo, but for some reason where I live I just feel that it would stress the engine too much. The fact that you need to let them idle to "cool off" would be a deal breaker for me, ain't got time for that.

Old 10-20-2014, 08:43 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
If I lived in a cooler climate I wouldn't be so hesitant to buy a turbo, but for some reason where I live I just feel that it would stress the engine too much. The fact that you need to let them idle to "cool off" would be a deal breaker for me, ain't got time for that.
You don't, unless you've been romping on it full-throttle for extended periods of time right before turning the car off.

Old 10-20-2014, 09:21 PM

4,856 posts, read 5,822,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
Correct. Porsche is changing most of their product line to include turbos now. I'm not sure whether I like that or not. The Cayenne for example, the S model is losing the V8 and going with a V6 twin turbo. The Cayenne Turbo will have the V8 twin turbo as before.

The Boxster (maybe the Cayman too?) are going to have a turbo four, ditching the NA V6.

The base 911 now gets a turbo.

I don't know... will have to see how it all shakes out. I love the V8 in the Cayenne S, I wouldn't want a V6 turbo over that, even if it had more power. And the 911 turbo... what are they going to call it now?
It's going to be called the 911 Turbo Turbo

Old 10-20-2014, 10:13 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,097,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxRhapsody View Post
It's going to be called the 911 Turbo Turbo
Haha, I mean really, their halo car is not going to be the only 911 with a turbo. So it makes no sense to even call it a turbo anymore as a model designation. I guess they could resort to calling the "regular" turbo a Turbo S, and the Turbo S can now be called Turbo R or something. LOL, I don't think there's a good solution to it that won't **** off a lot of Porsche people!

Old 10-20-2014, 10:36 PM

675 posts, read 1,414,647 times
As long as the engineers at PAG can find a way to make it sound the same!

Old 10-20-2014, 10:43 PM

389 posts, read 616,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Best to read the owners manual. I remember both my VW TDI and 7.3l Ford manual stated only after extended highway travel or heavy towing should a three minute cool down period be needed. I was always worried about should I get pulled over how would I explain the idling engine, never happened cus diesels are slowpokes -just kidding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive