Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 11:48 AM

11,050 posts, read 24,017,648 times

Advertisements

If you're serious about getting a car loan, you don't have to get a car loan from the car dealership. If you have your loan already pre-approved via some other lending institution, then when it's time to buy the car (should you decide to do so) then you'd just be able to write a check.

If it were me, though, I'd drive the car you have for as long as it's good. You can also sell it yourself on Craig's List, usually dealers won't give you a very good price on turning a car in. Or if they do, they jack up the price of the car you're buying to make up the difference of getting a good return value on a car. Keeping everything separate - the loan - the new car buy and the old car sell would probably net you the most value.

Personally, I don't consider new cars a good value. They depreciate way too much as soon as you drive them off the lot. Buying a one or two year old car that has been well maintained and has already depreciated is perhaps a better deal.

I don't suppose driving your existing car for a year or two and saving up enough cash to buy another car is an option? Not having monthly car payments is a good thing. Cheaper insurance, too, when you don't have to cover the asset for a lending institution.

Oh, IMHO, you are right to be leery about your salary details filtering through the sales force in the dealership and the info getting to your friend as well. Should you complain, they'd more than likely say they didn't do it and the sales person isn't likely to be fired. At least, if he's selling cars for the dealership. The other option is to just let your friend know how much you make and if he doesn't like it he can suck rocks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2014, 11:49 AM

51 posts, read 58,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
That would be grounds to get the salesman fired, and I'm sure he would know that.
That would be after the damage is done thoMy friend doesn't have to tell me what the guy told him, they could both deny it

Old 10-24-2014, 11:54 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,986,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenny2412 View Post
That would be after the damage is done thoMy friend doesn't have to tell me what the guy told him, they could both deny it
The word paranoid is coming to mind...

Old 10-24-2014, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C8N View Post
I don't see the harm.
Just because you go with him does not mean you have buy.

And to start off, I would not necessarily tell the salesperson up front that you are buying 2 cars. I would throw that card at the very last point. NICE DEAL... NOW WHAT IF I BUY AS WELL AND GET TWO?????

However, I would make sure that you are in need of a new car first and that dealership provides the make/model you want. But it seems like you are not in need or uncertain. Please do not make an emotional buy... #1 reason for buyer's remorse.

Financing should be done separately.. if they shove you in the same room at the same time, just tell the dealer that you would rather have it done separately so there is no way your friend will know your income. If the salesperson blabs... as NHDave mentioned, that should be a good reason for termination.
Good ideas, thanks

The car is getting up there but I think it can last awhile longer. There are a couple minor repairs needed (a couple new tires and I've been told the struts need to be replaced soon) but that's less expensive than purchasing a new car. It has a lot of miles (over 200K) but 90% highway miles.

If I say no, I can see both of them pressuring me at that point and I don't want to be in that position with no ability to walk. I'm sure he'll want to buy my car (rather than me trade it in) so he would try to get us to ride together in his car (the one he's turning in).

Old 10-24-2014, 12:00 PM

148 posts, read 523,293 times
Your friend sounds like he may want to take advantage of you, if he really wants to flip your car for a profit (and pressuring you at that). Heck he may even be upset if you don't purchase together, if he believes it could save him some money in a "group buy"... I would probably just back out all together.

Old 10-24-2014, 12:02 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,761,293 times
Tell your friend to man up and handle his own damn business on his own time. Then if he buys and likes the car he can refer you to the same salesman and possibly get a birddog.

Old 10-24-2014, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
If you're serious about getting a car loan, you don't have to get a car loan from the car dealership. If you have your loan already pre-approved via some other lending institution, then when it's time to buy the car (should you decide to do so) then you'd just be able to write a check.

If it were me, though, I'd drive the car you have for as long as it's good. You can also sell it yourself on Craig's List, usually dealers won't give you a very good price on turning a car in. Or if they do, they jack up the price of the car you're buying to make up the difference of getting a good return value on a car. Keeping everything separate - the loan - the new car buy and the old car sell would probably net you the most value.

Personally, I don't consider new cars a good value. They depreciate way too much as soon as you drive them off the lot. Buying a one or two year old car that has been well maintained and has already depreciated is perhaps a better deal.

I don't suppose driving your existing car for a year or two and saving up enough cash to buy another car is an option? Not having monthly car payments is a good thing. Cheaper insurance, too, when you don't have to cover the asset for a lending institution.

Oh, IMHO, you are right to be leery about your salary details filtering through the sales force in the dealership and the info getting to your friend as well. Should you complain, they'd more than likely say they didn't do it and the sales person isn't likely to be fired. At least, if he's selling cars for the dealership. The other option is to just let your friend know how much you make and if he doesn't like it he can suck rocks.

Thanks for the tips. I did get pre-approved awhile back. If I tell the dealer the rate and he could beat it then I would get pressured into going through them. I guess it doesn't really matter tho, they are mainly concerned with making a sale.

I was debating whether to keep the car or get another but leaning toward keeping it since that would be better financially (as long as I can get another year or two out of it with minimal repairs). It has a lot of miles but only 10 years old so not super old. Then again I have a long commute and don't want to get stranded but do have roadside assistance. I did cancel full coverage and just have liability so buying a new car will require paying more for insurance too.

I wouldn't give him that info because he knows other friends and relatives and word would get around. Some people are weird about that, they'll look down on you or get jealous depending on who makes more, nothing good comes out of that.

Old 10-24-2014, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niall-Florida View Post
Your friend sounds like he may want to take advantage of you, if he really wants to flip your car for a profit (and pressuring you at that). Heck he may even be upset if you don't purchase together, if he believes it could save him some money in a "group buy"... I would probably just back out all together.

Yeah I think he's looking at making some money. He would benefit by getting a better deal on his new car, buying/fixing up/selling my car so he would definitely get the best out of the deal. I had a thought...what if I sell him my car and he sells it to someone and it breaks down on them and they hassle him? He might get a little pissed off at me even though I've already told him what's wrong with it (a few minor issues)

Old 10-24-2014, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Tell your friend to man up and handle his own damn business on his own time. Then if he buys and likes the car he can refer you to the same salesman and possibly get a birddog.

Further complicating this is that when I do buy a car, the model that I want is the same model that he has (not because I want the same car as him but did a lot of research) If I do buy it from somewhere else (or from the same place without him), that will likely **** him off. Damend if you do, damned if you don't. I've found that family and business...and friendship and business doesn't really mix too well. I should have never said I was thinking about buying.

Old 10-24-2014, 12:13 PM

148 posts, read 523,293 times
I personally keep business separate from friendship... But like other person said, you can go along w/out the intention of buying and if you like the numbers sleep on it. Still interested in the morning give them call and see if they match it with a reasonable trade offer.

Edit: Does not sound like a good friend, to force you do something financially irresponsible at his his benefit and get pissed if you don't. I'd shop for a new friend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive