Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2014, 04:21 PM

17,597 posts, read 17,629,777 times

Advertisements

How many cars from the 1970s and older are in decent shape at a low cost? I see some young people driving vehicles 20 to 25 years old. Driving cars built in the 1960s and older usually means no power brakes, no disc brakes, no power steering, no seat belts, and sometimes higher insurance rates (depending on model). Even 25 year old (1989) vehicles have power brakes, front disc brakes, power steering, seat belts, and usually (depending on model) lower rates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2014, 04:33 PM

4,977 posts, read 5,763,878 times
My youngest drives a 16 year old car...does that count? He does know how to check and add the oil, coolant, and washer fluid, and change a headlight bulb. All things being equal, he would prefer to bike, be picked up, or walk. He does not really like driving. When offered the opportunity to take the vehicle with him to college this year, he declined.

My oldest prefers to drive newer, safer, and more reliable vehicles after an expensive fix it experience with an older clunker (tires, brakes, electrical system, brake line, and tranny all within 6 months - and he's a GOOD driver! He unloaded it before he replaced the tranny). He bought a new model vehicle 2 years ago and it's been a dream for him! My middle would prefer to not drive...he likes the big city life with excellent train, bus, taxi, and Uber options. When he does drive, he usually remembers to glance at the gas gauge to make sure it is over E.

Old 11-15-2014, 04:34 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,803,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
Autotraderclassics.com currently has 4 1969 Mustangs, all with V8's, under $13,000. 3 of those have less than 80k on them, the other one says true miles are unknown. V6's are even cheaper.

So, the problem is not affordability for older cars, it's lack of desire. Kids today want a car (those kids that even care about cars) that can play their songs through bluetooth, that has all power features, and all the latest options.

Their parents want them to have airbags, and antilock brakes, and have good reliability and a warranty.

Classics cars have none of those things, and without even the lure of nostalgia for a kid today... Why would they even look for a classic car?

What's classic to them is going to be late 80's/90's cars.
You have a link to this? I just looked and found one only on a nationwide search, they wanted right under $13k for a coup, which are the least desirable ones; fastbacks are the nicest looking and most desirable.

Here is the search I used: AutoTrader Classics Vehicle Search - 1969 Ford Mustang

ANd here is what I used to search for a 67 camaro:

AutoTrader Classics Vehicle Search - 1967 Chevrolet Camaro

Not saying good deals do not exist, but they are far and few between to the point of being relatively rare, enough to dissuade someone unless they were a serious hobbyist.

Old 11-15-2014, 04:37 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,088,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
I second the view that the young aren’t into cars much. Looks like the boring side won and convinced them that a car is just for transportation. It is not just cars. I ride motorcycles and one of my wife's fears was that the boys could not resist riding it and would hurt themselves. Let me tell you something. If that 800lb hunk of steel disappeared from the garage they would not notice. Not once did they expresso any desire to ride it. I don’t know what it is but something has died inside boys.
That's sad... but I guess also a good thing at the same time.

I ride too, though I sold my last bike about 2 years ago. Have had at least one bike for the past 20 years. Sold the last one when we decided to start a family. I know how dangerous riding can be (typically not the rider, but the cars around them) and I'm not sure how I'd feel if my daughter wanted a motorcycle. If she never wants one or cares about them at all, then I guess the silver lining is that she won't get hurt on one either.

Old 11-15-2014, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
You have a link to this? I just looked and found one only on a nationwide search, they wanted right under $13k for a coup, which are the least desirable ones; fastbacks are the nicest looking and most desirable.

Here is the search I used: AutoTrader Classics Vehicle Search - 1969 Ford Mustang

Do the same search, and on the left, I put a max of $15000 and selected V8 cars only.

Old 11-15-2014, 04:42 PM

I think plenty of kids/young adults are into cars, maybe more than ever before. There is plenty of street racing events (illegal and legal) and they aftermarket is huge. Sure, the specific interest is different than years ago, but it is still an interest, and it has shifted to cars that really, it is all they can afford (the rise of the Japanese performance cars).

Even in at the height of the muscle car era, true muscle cars were not all that common, hence their rarity today and even 20 years ago. While there were a lot of camaros, not all of those were the v8 monsters, many were just six cylinder weaklings. The camaro ss or the boss 302 was hardly the standard car back in the day (thank goodness for engine swaps!)

Old 11-15-2014, 04:47 PM

This link?

http://www.autotraderclassics.com/fi...ationId=373768

They are all coups, no one likes coups, the desired ones are fastbacks. It is not the point of merely having a classic car, it is about having the one everyone like, like the fastback mustang.

Old 11-15-2014, 04:49 PM

No... Pick 8 cylinders, not 6.

Old 11-15-2014, 04:51 PM

1,199 posts, read 1,551,491 times
Quote:
What's classic to them is going to be late 80's/90's cars.
This. "Classic" car to a kid now is an 80s model Honda CRX Si or a Mitsubishi Starion. At best, maybe a fox body Mustang or an IROC Camaro.

Old 11-15-2014, 04:57 PM

Quote:
No... Pick 8 cylinders, not 6.
Yea, I went back and edited my post; I accidentally selected six cylinder.

But the v8's are all coups; reality is a person can just do an engine swap, no big deal, but trying to find an affordable classic car that is desirable is more difficult. The fastbacks were always the desirable ones, the coups have not been.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive