Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2014, 05:31 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,986,043 times

Advertisements

If fathers (or mothers) were available to teach our young men or women how to work on automobiles the way we were taught, surely there would be more interest in fixing up or maintaining classic cars by new drivers. I was helping with basic mechanical repairs as well as home renovation by age 12 yet I don't know anyone today doing that with their children.

In fact the exception is the rule today; my ex's oldest is 16 and his father (and mother) never showed him how to do anything except perhaps how to grill hot dogs or hamburgers (his father works all the time and when not working goes out on dates vs spends time with his children)... the last couple years his son lived with me I invited him to help me out with any mechanical repair work and he just had zero interest... I think it was just too late for him as he was already hooked on video games and YouTube watching (the addiction of the current generation of teens) and just wanted to sit in his room by himself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2014, 06:39 PM

1,996 posts, read 4,771,673 times
Finding true gearheads under 30 years old is becoming a difficult find. I also think it could be class related.

In poorer communities where people simply don't have enough money, they have to do the repair work themselves. I've noticed this a lot where live. Go to an middle to upper middle class neighborhood, and you don't see anyone working on cars, or a classic hot rod, or whatever. Head to a low to low middle class area, and you start seeing more and more vintage rides parked on the street and people just cruising around in one.

It's true that parents today aren't teaching their kids about automotive maintenance, maybe because they too were never taught the trade and skills when they were running around in diapers. A new car doesn't require the intense maintenance work like the old school ones did, so they have this mindset that nothing will ever break down and it can magically run forever. I know people like this.

What happens when all the old mechanics start dying off? Who's going to replace them? I see a major shortage of shop guys in the coming years.

The desire isn't there period, only a select few are truly interested, like say the father raced bikes, or offloaded, or owned a couple muscle cars then the interest comes around.

Price is one factor, definitely, but deals are out there, and that's no excuse for someone to not go after something they might want to own.

You'd think in California, being the car mecca of the world. The hobby among the youth would be striving ( import tuning is still big), this isn't the case, well where I live for that matter. Technology is great until it breaks and no longer works.

Old 11-15-2014, 06:47 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,738,843 times
I'm actually a sucker for classic rides, the only pink elephant in the room when it comes to comparisons is the technology. As much as I like classics, I'll take technology any day of the week.

Old 11-15-2014, 07:01 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,393,358 times
"Classic" cars are expensive as hell, thanks to Barrett-Jackson. Try to find a Chevelle or Charger. Even a rusty old shell is going to run at least $10k. That same $10k gets one a pretty nice used car from 2000-2010

Old 11-15-2014, 07:15 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,311,529 times
Actually souping up old cars is still popular, just not with white guys. Check out the Houston SLAB Parade or the lowriders in east LA. True classics are too expensive for almost everyone these days, though.

Old 11-15-2014, 08:10 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,144,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
A lot of younger people arnt in to cars much period, let alone classic ones. Add that to the maintenance andhat the prices of these cars skyrocked in the past 10-15 years, younger people don't have the disposible income to spend on these cars. I would love to be driving around in a late 60's Mustang, or a mid 50's merc, they just are not in reach.
Where I am, owning a car at all can be impractical.

And the people I know aren't interested in cars that aren't fuel efficient, reliable and eco-friendly.

So if they are going to invest in a car, it's going to be a Honda, Toyota or a hybrid/electric car.

People also don't have the time or their own garage space where they can tinker.

Given all that, people aren't really going to be inclined to spend money on an inefficient car so they can spend time and money on maintenance and souping it up.

But that's where I live. I'm surprised to hear that similar schools of thought are becoming predominant nationwide.

Old 11-15-2014, 08:28 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,955,708 times
Young people are into classics, they are just more into cars that will become classics as opposed to those that already are.

At the time the classics were being made, they weren't classics. 30 years from now if driving a gas fueled car isn't illegal, the younger people of today will be collecting the now current Challenger, Mustang and others.

If everyone was only interested in classics of past then eventually no other cars would become classics IMO.

Old 11-15-2014, 08:59 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,540,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
I second the view that the young aren’t into cars much. Looks like the boring side won and convinced them that a car is just for transportation. It is not just cars. I ride motorcycles and one of my wife's fears was that the boys could not resist riding it and would hurt themselves. Let me tell you something. If that 800lb hunk of steel disappeared from the garage they would not notice. Not once did they expresso any desire to ride it. I don’t know what it is but something has died inside boys.
It's those cotdam skinny jeans I tell ya!!

Old 11-15-2014, 10:41 PM

1,232 posts, read 1,903,078 times
How many of us care about Model Ts? People get nostalgic for their youth, and buy accordingly when they can afford it. Anyone for a Scion XB in about ten years?

Old 11-15-2014, 10:59 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,552,235 times
Thanks to all the hot rod restore/flip/collector shows everyone who has a old car for sale all of the sudden thinks they have a goldmine and ask stupid prices for cars. Just because it's old doesn't make it a classic or desirable.
Look at the Fast and Loud. I was actually looking for a 70s Mach 1 to sort of play eith. You could get one for 3-4 maybe 6-7 k if it was really good runner/shape. Then Richard bought a green Mach1 and threw a few things in it and sold it fir 2-3x what he oaid. Literally almost a week later prices on those things doubled.

Young guys in 50-60-70s grew up with those types if cars that are now considered classics. Kids today grew up eith lowered Hondas Toyotas imports and trucks. In 20 years those will be classics for them. sure everyone wants to see a fast back Stang or camaro ripping up the road. But lots of cars offer the performance and the amenities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive