Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2015, 10:10 PM

13,656 posts, read 9,717,813 times

Advertisements

Personally I have no interest in "hypermiling", and in some circles I might be described as an aggressive driver. I absolutely adore smokey, full-throttle acceleration, when traffic and road-conditions permit. But I have an almost religious insistence on always shifting into neutral downhill (manual transmission) or when braking. Instinctively when I wish to brake, my left foot flies into the clutch pedal and I flick the shifter into neutral, before my right foot touches the brakes. Panic stops and occasional turning-maneuvers are an exception, but in routine conditions I have a ritual of shifting into neutral whenever engine-power is not required. It's just a habit that I acquired, likely when I was taught to drive a manual transmission, in the 1980s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2015, 11:05 PM

21,867 posts, read 25,154,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
Personally I have no interest in "hypermiling", and in some circles I might be described as an aggressive driver. I absolutely adore smokey, full-throttle acceleration, when traffic and road-conditions permit. But I have an almost religious insistence on always shifting into neutral downhill (manual transmission) or when braking. Instinctively when I wish to brake, my left foot flies into the clutch pedal and I flick the shifter into neutral, before my right foot touches the brakes. Panic stops and occasional turning-maneuvers are an exception, but in routine conditions I have a ritual of shifting into neutral whenever engine-power is not required. It's just a habit that I acquired, likely when I was taught to drive a manual transmission, in the 1980s.
I prefer to minimize my use of the brake by not using it and leaving the car in gear as much as possible when driving a manual.

Old 01-01-2015, 11:14 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
I do two hypermile activities:

1. I use cruise control to maintain a steady speed. I just set cruise control to the speed limit.
2. I coast to a red light.

Old 01-01-2015, 11:37 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,448,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I do two hypermile activities:

1. I use cruise control to maintain a steady speed. I just set cruise control to the speed limit.
2. I coast to a red light.
I don't think cruise control helps with hypermiling because it makes you accelerate too much when you go up hills.

Old 01-01-2015, 11:47 PM

1,151 posts, read 2,037,982 times
The best way to save gas is to keep a steady pace and stay off the brakes.

Braking wastes gas that you have already burned. It's like running your furnace to get your house to 80°, then shutting it off and turning your air conditioner on to cool it down to 70° because it's too hot.

Also, if you're going up a hill and need to speed up, it's far better if you just hold steady on the uphill side, and let gravity speed you up for free on the downhill side.

The other techniques that hypermilers use are too dangerous, illegal, or fall into what I believe to be penny wise, pound foolish category.

Old 01-02-2015, 04:02 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
I dont hypermile,i just bought a fuel efficient car and drive normally getting 35-40mpg.

Old 01-02-2015, 06:09 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,015,449 times
I do a few things to maximize mileage, but probably fall short of the true hypermilers.

Mostly I coast to stops, sometimes for a LONG distance if traffic conditions warrant it. By that, I won't coast forever if I am in heavy traffic. If traffic is light, I do.

Beyond that, I generally use cruise control on the highway too. I have tried not using it, and slowing down on hills, speeding up on down hills, but find the cruise is still better at higher MPG than I am in that environment. (Our highways/area is fairly flat too so there is not a ton to be gained).

When I drive like this I can boost my mileage about 15% give or take a little.

Old 01-02-2015, 06:30 AM

3,378 posts, read 9,210,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
You still have parasitic drag. It's really not that interesting in my car though, completely routine as a matter of fact.
The reason I ask is because on most cars when they travel downhill in gear with the fuel pedal released there is zero fuel being consumed.

Old 01-02-2015, 09:31 AM

3,681 posts, read 9,059,883 times
I drive a sensible, fuel efficient car and drive with common sense to save gas which to me means easy on the gas (during acceleration) and easy on the brakes. Mostly I coast to stops if traffic conditions warrant it. If I see a red light or stop sign ahead, I do not over-accelerate just to have to use my brakes to come to a stop. And I normally do no more than 5 to 8 miles over the posted speed limit.

Other than that, I find all the other techniques that stereotypical hypermilers do annoying, illegal and intolerable. It's always VERY frustrating getting stuck behind one of these yahoos on a two lane road during the morning rush hour doing 10 miles under the speed limit. It's ridiculous and unnecessary.

Old 01-02-2015, 10:05 AM

2,403 posts, read 5,241,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
Personally I have no interest in "hypermiling", and in some circles I might be described as an aggressive driver.
In other circles it might be called reckless driving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive