Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2015, 10:09 AM

2,403 posts, read 5,241,755 times

Advertisements

There's intelligent hypermiling and there's the other kind. If traffic conditions permit I coast. It's easier with a manual transmission.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2015, 10:33 AM

3,306 posts, read 12,222,868 times
Hypermiling is penny wise and dollar stupid, no thanks.

While it is not hypermiling, from time to time I do use tractor-trailers as wind breakers in heavy headwind and impromptu battering rams in inclement weather while on the interstate. I can stop a heck of a lot quicker than they can so I find them useful to closely follow in those types of situations.

Last edited by Lux Hauler; 01-02-2015 at 10:51 AM..

Old 01-02-2015, 10:38 AM

774 posts, read 2,382,633 times
And with the new digital displays for mileage, you can obsess about your mileage second by second.

I found it to be too much and just turned it off.

I do have a stick shift and admit to throwing it in neutral and coasting whenever it's possible,

Old 01-02-2015, 11:36 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey2 View Post
And with the new digital displays for mileage, you can obsess about your mileage second by second.

I found it to be too much and just turned it off.

I do have a stick shift and admit to throwing it in neutral and coasting whenever it's possible,
You mean the displays that draw charts and intersect them with your GPS coordinates so you know your efficiency over time? Very few cars have that....

Old 01-02-2015, 01:44 PM

774 posts, read 2,382,633 times
No...I'm talking about the digital display that tells you that you're getting 38.2 mpg right now and changes second by second depending on how you depress (or back off) the accelerator.

Overall, it calculates mpg per tankful.

Even eco-boxes seem to have these now.

Mikey

Old 01-02-2015, 02:07 PM

236 posts, read 370,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaineiac View Post
The best way to save gas is to keep a steady pace and stay off the brakes.

Braking wastes gas that you have already burned. It's like running your furnace to get your house to 80°, then shutting it off and turning your air conditioner on to cool it down to 70° because it's too hot.

Also, if you're going up a hill and need to speed up, it's far better if you just hold steady on the uphill side, and let gravity speed you up for free on the downhill side.

The other techniques that hypermilers use are too dangerous, illegal, or fall into what I believe to be penny wise, pound foolish category.
Sensible answer - if you can learn to feel how a car responds to its own drag and innate engine braking you can draw out extra mileage and longer brake and transmission life.

Georgia overdrive is flat risky.

Old 01-02-2015, 03:05 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Quote:
No...I'm talking about the digital display that tells you that you're getting 38.2 mpg right now and changes second by second depending on how you depress (or back off) the accelerator.

Mikey
Ah.... Those have been around for decades now. Even in mainstream models.

Old 01-02-2015, 03:26 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,925,997 times
My grand father and I did the Mobil Economy Run several years. We started it just for fun with his 1954 Mercury 4 door with a 312 4 barrel. The car had a 3 speed manual with overdrive and free wheeling. With Goodyear Double Eagle tires, the ones that had another tire inside and could be run flat, we got real close to winning our division. The last year we ran it he had bought a Rambler wagon to run the thing. Considering the times, we did real good with it at 23.8 mpgs for the run. Today, I get better than that with my 2014 F150 3.7 Supercrew. With gauges for telling me the HP output, demand, and instant fuel mileage, I can milk over 27 mpg out of it and still drive at max hiway speeds. It's all in knowing when and how. On most modern engines, once you reach speed, back off of the gas just a hair. You won't lose speed but it will advance the timing and give you better fuel mileage. Keep tires at the max air pressure that it states on the side wall and learn to coast to a stop. Using brakes means wasted energy. Most of the new engines will turn off the injectors coasting to save gas. Might as well use the technology. Once you learn how to drive for fuel mileage, you can easily beat any cruise control and sometimes by a lot. I would not consider this hypermiling as there are numerous other things you can do to the vehicle to milk mileage as well as driving technique that would drive other drivers nutz. The public streets are not a place to practice full on hypermiling.

Old 01-02-2015, 08:36 PM

823 posts, read 1,125,956 times
In Europe, where gas is above $8 a gallon, people will still drive 150 mph on the autobahn. Just sayin'.

Old 01-03-2015, 02:36 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Quote:

Mikey
I have a Scangauge that gives me real time MPG and i find it tough to read as it is all over the place all the time, i much prefer an average MPG reading of the tank,trip or day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive