Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2015, 06:08 AM

792 posts, read 2,872,635 times

Advertisements

I have a low whistling sound coming from the rear driver’s side of my 98 Altima. I’m stumped and wondering if anyone has ideas.

What I know: It’s louder and more constant when it's wet out - rain brings it on every time. The car has to be moving. Pitch does not change with speed. Gets more constant with speed, so, at very slow speeds it’s intermittent, but then quickly blends into a continuous whistle. Possibly louder at speed since I can hear on the highway, but pitch is the same. It’s been doing this for about a year and a half.

I tried rotating the tires and greasing the read drum brake pad contact points, but no change. I thought bearing, but would water cause the bearing to make noise? Also, not a grrrrrrr sound at all and there's no play in the wheel. Does anyone have ideas or suggestions about how to further troubleshoot? Thanks!

98 Nissan Altima, 195K
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2015, 07:01 AM

302 posts, read 1,155,477 times
Your description leads me to think it could be an air/wind noise/leak. Perhaps on at the rear of the driver's door, or the rear door? Your desriptors of "whistle," "continuous/possibly louder at highway speeds" are classic indicators of that issue.

Check your weatherstrips to make sure they are tightly sealing against the door and that the window run channels are properly aligned, and not catching wind rush as the vehicle travels. To check the weather strips, roll down the window and open the door. Place dollar on the weather strip and close the door on it. Then pull the dollar out with the door closed. Should have a fair amount of resistance. Go along the weather strip and retest. Or, another method is to apply baby powder to the weather strip. Close the door then open it. You'll see where the door makes a good seal and where it maybe doesn't. Might be as simple as adjusting your door striker inwards slightly.

On the outside of the vehicle, make sure all the moldings, run channel, appliques are in proper position, not sticking up into airflow causing the whistle. You can apply masking tape over any suspect areas and take it for a test drive to determine if that was the cause. A bit of thumb grade sealer or RTV will fill whatever void you might find responsible.

Just can't figure how the water would contribute.

BTW.. by "whistle".. I'm defining that as same a human or teapot would sound. If that's your sound, it's not going to be mechanical such as a hub (grinding/roaring) metal contact points (squeal/grind)

Old 01-15-2015, 07:07 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times
Diagnosing via sound desciption is always tricky.

Wheel bearings are affected by weather. I've had bearings become louder when cold/hot out, or wet. Not sure the reason why, but sure as hell there would be a difference.

Do you have a buddy that can tag along and hang out in the rear seat and at least try to identify a side or location? Can you lower the rear seatbacks and have him stick his head in the trunk and listen?

Usually the way I ID bad wheel bearings (when i want to be 100% sure) is to yank the wheel and rotor/drum, grab the hub and spin it. A bad beading usually feels rough. I've had bad bearings that have had ZERO wobble at all, so other than noise and a roughness, you would never know they were bad.

Whistle does throw me off. Seeing as you are savvy enough to maintain brakes, i would think your description would be accurate then. Are you sure it's not a broken rear door weather seal and what you hear is wind noise? same for the trunk seal?

Old 01-15-2015, 07:58 AM

792 posts, read 2,872,635 times
Thanks for the replies. I realize left something out. The noise is there when I'm going really slow - too slow for wind, I think. Definitely makes it at 5 mph. On rainy days only stops just before I come to a stop.

Old 01-15-2015, 08:05 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,280,752 times
If that slow, maybe someone could follow in a bike?

Ride the bike in the left rear, right rear, left side, right side. May be able to tell where the sound is coming from. Check exhaust for blockages.

Old 01-15-2015, 11:42 AM

236 posts, read 370,229 times
Have you given any thought to whether the parking brake may be partly engaged?

Many times the spring release will wear and allow a partial clamping - not enough to impede the car from moving, but plenty to whistle at any speed.

Old 01-15-2015, 06:47 PM

1,831 posts, read 3,196,756 times
Can you go to an open parking lot and see if it makes the noise when going in reverse as well? If it does, that would probably eliminate anything whistling due to the wind going forward.

Old 01-15-2015, 07:27 PM

17,263 posts, read 21,998,333 times
Definitely the muffler bearings

Old 01-15-2015, 11:09 PM

17,597 posts, read 17,629,777 times
Could be a worn brake pad indicator. I had a similar sound and reading the owners manual told me it could be a brake pad wear indicator. Took it in and the brakes were indeed near time for replacing.

Old 01-15-2015, 11:27 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
You didn't run over anyone recently did you. They may be trying to get your attention.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive