Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2015, 06:32 PM

4,856 posts, read 5,824,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishwhat View Post
Not all but many cops like to think that they're above the law.
[]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2015, 05:48 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,846,967 times
I think a bigger question is, why were you going 85 mph in a light rain ? Plus, you seem to consider going 5 mph over the speed limit responsible, but are quick to judge the cop for going over the speed limit too ! When conditions are not perfect, aren't we supposed to slow down appropriately ?

Kinda of a double standard, don't you think ? Sounds like the pot calling the kettle black.

Don

Old 02-05-2015, 06:39 AM

2,116 posts, read 3,050,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
I think a bigger question is, why were you going 85 mph in a light rain ? Plus, you seem to consider going 5 mph over the speed limit responsible, but are quick to judge the cop for going over the speed limit too ! When conditions are not perfect, aren't we supposed to slow down appropriately ?

Kinda of a double standard, don't you think ? Sounds like the pot calling the kettle black.

Don
While traveling with the flow of traffic in a sedan equipped with four (4) tires wide enough to overcome the natural forces of physics associated with grooved concrete and also equipped with windshield wipers to keep vision clear, I find traveling within a couple mph of the speed limit quite reasonable.

Traveling approximately 25% faster than traffic on a vehicle with only two (2) tires which are narrow and far more susceptible to the forces of physics exerted by the grooves in the concrete and on a vehicle much lighter and prone to hydroplane on a wet surface, with vision certainly affected by condensate on a helmet without windshield wipers is substantially less reasonable. Doing so while on a vehicle funded by and clearly marked as being in service to the taxpaying public is simply arrogant.

Conditions were not perfect, and that is why I did slow down. On a clear and sunny day with visibility and conditions optimized, I would have been going substantially faster. Traffic often does go 90+ in that area, just not in the rain, pre-dawn, on a motorcycle, wearing APD "Police" emblazoned on your day-glow green gear for the world to see.

Old 02-05-2015, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
SVT >

I was simply pointing out that in other parts of the world, Police are equipped to catch and stop speeders, at very high speeds. In Italy they use Ferraris, and Lambos. In Germany it's BMW's and Mercs, with twin turbos.

Those barges that are used by American Police are topped out at 120 mph.

Jim B. In Toronto.
Actually, those "barges" are almost all capable of doing significantly more than 120 and are all equipped with upgraded tires, brakes, and various components to make them safer than their civilian counterparts. And, btw, the exact same "barges" are typically used in Canada.

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/ms...4_448152_7.pdf

Old 02-05-2015, 07:18 AM

6,453 posts, read 9,816,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
SVT >

I was simply pointing out that in other parts of the world, Police are equipped to catch and stop speeders, at very high speeds. In Italy they use Ferraris, and Lambos. In Germany it's BMW's and Mercs, with twin turbos.

Those barges that are used by American Police are topped out at 120 mph.

Jim B. In Toronto.

And again that has nothing to do with a cop riding a motorcycle in the rain in texas lol

You can bash american police all you want, I dont care, but your posts have 0 to do with the OP.

Old 02-05-2015, 07:48 AM

3,549 posts, read 5,377,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynldsbr View Post
Conditions were not perfect, and that is why I did slow down. On a clear and sunny day with visibility and conditions optimized, I would have been going substantially faster. Traffic often does go 90+ in that area, just not in the rain, pre-dawn, on a motorcycle, wearing APD "Police" emblazoned on your day-glow green gear for the world to see.
You keep mentioning "pre-dawn." Are you implying that motorcycles should not be driven before daylight?

Also, in his "day-glow green" he was clearly visible enough for you to see him coming, so that is not the issue.. Was he driving without headlights or something?

So you could read where he was from, the brand of motorcycle that he was riding, and he visibly stood out to you with the bright color. Either he was very noticeable, so it's not as unsafe as you are trying to persuade, or he wasn't driving as fast as you claim.. Personally, I don't see how he effected you or anyone else. Police accidents happen rarely unless in some sort of pursuit or not their fault..

Quote:
No lights and siren, just riding toward his jurisdiction in the morning hours, presumably from home in the 'burbs.
'burbs.. What makes you think he lives there? Do you think he makes more than you? Is that why you are bitter? You know, you could always become a cop too. They risk their lives for all of us, and we are so quick to jump down their throats. Seriously, you are free to try and become a cop, what's holding you back since you would be so great at it?

Old 02-05-2015, 08:56 AM

3,336 posts, read 2,140,399 times
Quote:
On the toll road this morning traveling into the city cruising at ~85 and was in the left lane as I was passing a couple cars when a fast moving cycle appears behind me. I moved over to the right and a BMW bike with an Austin police officer riding blew by me. In light rain, on a motorcycle, before dawn, riding at over 95 mph on the toll road.

I find that foolish and just a little bit irritating for a law officer to display such irresponsible behavior. Thoughts?
Where I live, most of the police seem to commit one or more of the following ticket-worthy infractions while in motion:
  • Speeding.
  • Holding up traffic by going 10+ under in the passing lane (doing so is a violation of two laws here).
    • Some will also pull you over for legally passing them, tell you they paced you, and cite you for speeding.
  • Improper use of high beams.
    • Drivers who become jittery enough will be pulled over for suspicion of DUI. Young people, blacks, and hispanics may additionally be held up for up to an hour while their vehicle and personal property are ransacked by officers of either/both the human and furry variety.
  • Following too closely.
    • Often in tandem with the improper use of high beams.
  • Reckless driving (running stop signs/red lights & driving around stopped traffic via the sidewalks during non-emergency situations).

Old 02-05-2015, 09:49 AM

2,852 posts, read 1,614,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyslo View Post

Ever get stuck in the swarm of clusterf*** caused by a cop going normal speeds down a freeway and NO ONE wants to pass him/her? It's infuriating to say the least. Better the cop scoot along and get out of everyone's hair.
Reminds me of a funny true life story of mine...

MANY years ago (<emphasis on MANY) I was living in S. Florida and while driving north on I-95 in north Fort Lauderdale, traffic came to what seemed to be a standstill. Up ahead I saw what was causing this slowdown - a county sheriff. Without even thinking about it, I cautiously made my way up to and passed the 'offending traffic slower downer'... lol

Not more than 100 feet away from passing, he got behind me, and hit the lights. I pulled over and he got out of the car with something in a plastic bag.

I had rolled down my window and was ready to give him the info he was going to ask for when he quickly responded with, "Thank goodness someone was smart enough to pass me! My wife had asked that I pick up some ice cream when I got off work. I was heading home with it, and got a call that I had to work an extra shift until my relief came in. There's been an accident by his house and he's stuck in traffic. You were the only one brave enough to pass me - so that this ice cream doesn't go to waste, please enjoy it on the house.'

I smiled, and gladly accepted it. I only had a few more miles to go until I got home, where it found its resting place within my freezer until it found its final home within my stomach.

Old 02-05-2015, 03:39 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,846,967 times
Oh, now I get it, so you normally go 10 mph or more over the speed limit, but this time you were only going 5 mph over ! At what point exactly does breaking the law begin ?

I guess the speed limit signs in your town read " 75 mph, or whatever traffic is doing on this particular day."

I always love the excuse "I was only going with the flow of traffic." Try that the next time you get stopped.

Don

Old 02-06-2015, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstan-dan View Post
You keep mentioning "pre-dawn." Are you implying that motorcycles should not be driven before daylight?

Also, in his "day-glow green" he was clearly visible enough for you to see him coming, so that is not the issue.. Was he driving without headlights or something?

So you could read where he was from, the brand of motorcycle that he was riding, and he visibly stood out to you with the bright color. Either he was very noticeable, so it's not as unsafe as you are trying to persuade, or he wasn't driving as fast as you claim.. Personally, I don't see how he effected you or anyone else. Police accidents happen rarely unless in some sort of pursuit or not their fault..

First of all, the uniform was clearly visible as he passed by ~ six feet from my drivers side window. The type of bike also clearly visible since there are only two types of motorcycle used in law enforcement, a BMW and a Harley. They are not hard to distinguish.

Your statement of police accidents happen rarely, completely false. They happen daily in large departments. I happen to manage the fleet in the law enforcement industry and am brutally aware of the number of police involved accidents that occur. Please don't think that you know those numbers as they are kept rather quiet to avoid undue attention from the taxpayers that absorb the cost of crunched sheet metal and injured officers.

'burbs.. What makes you think he lives there? Do you think he makes more than you? Is that why you are bitter? You know, you could always become a cop too. They risk their lives for all of us, and we are so quick to jump down their throats. Seriously, you are free to try and become a cop, what's holding you back since you would be so great at it?
I am not bitter. I live in the burbs and make more than most peace officers (probably not fair, but true) and know that if an Austin cop is on a bike at 6:30 am coming south on HWY 130 he is outside his jurisdiction, heading toward his jurisdiction, at approximately thirty minutes before a typical shift change.

I would think anyone on a bike in these circumstances and traveling this speed would be foolish. The fact that it was a police officer only makes it more visible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive