Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2015, 09:48 PM

3,046 posts, read 4,126,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28173 View Post
really?? What makes you say that?
If this would be true, we'd hear of thousands of accident on daily basis, since we have millions of workers inside of these plants, every day.

The owners are worth all that and more, without them there would be no company and no workers. And what owners decide to pay their CEO's is their own business.
Who does not like it, should start their own company and pay their own CEO's a lot less...good luck!

So you are saying that the CEOs of big oil are worth every penny and even more right. So their million dollar saleries are not big enough acording to you. But it's not ok for the average blue collar worker to make a living wage. And who owns big oil what person owns shell, BP, and Sunoco. No one stock owners own them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2015, 10:01 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,035,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vannort54 View Post
Another union basher Or just jealous.
What in the world would make anyone jealous about being in a union? I literally can't think of a single thing.

Old 02-10-2015, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakscsd View Post
What in the world would make anyone jealous about being in a union? I literally can't think of a single thing.
The higher pay and bennifits. Starting pay for a GM line worker starts at about $19.28 hour.

Old 02-11-2015, 02:17 AM

986 posts, read 2,509,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
So playing around on autotrader dot com, I discovered that brand new 2014 Cadillac ATS's with sticker prices of $40k are priced at $29k, with AWD. 2WD were as low as $25k.

I know Caddy has had a rough go lately, but this seems ridiculous. And the ATS got pretty good reviews when it came out.

What's the catch, in your opinion?
The words Cadillac and value in the same sentence strike me as incongruous, but I suppose those are good buys if that's your style.

If you want a car that would be very affordable and radically different, support Elio Motors. I hope they make it.

Old 02-11-2015, 06:30 AM

29,483 posts, read 14,656,154 times
Quote:
really?? What makes you say that?
If this would be true, we'd hear of thousands of accident on daily basis, since we have millions of workers inside of these plants, every day.

The owners are worth all that and more, without them there would be no company and no workers. And what owners decide to pay their CEO's is their own business.
Who does not like it, should start their own company and pay their own CEO's a lot less...good luck!
Obviously you've never stepped foot inside a factory. Why do you think we have OSHA and all the regulations to try and make them as safe as possible ? Even then accidents do happen.

As far as the CEO pay, you've got your opinion and I have mine.

Old 02-11-2015, 06:37 AM

29,483 posts, read 14,656,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ca_north View Post
The words Cadillac and value in the same sentence strike me as incongruous, but I suppose those are good buys if that's your style.

If you want a car that would be very affordable and radically different, support Elio Motors. I hope they make it.
I hope Elio Motors make it as well. Great concept and I'd be in for one if they start selling.

Old 02-11-2015, 06:53 AM

3,120 posts, read 8,065,523 times
Quote:
The owners are worth all that and more, without them there would be no company and no workers.
Do you really think the owners are earning all of the wealth they are accumulating? Are they really contributing sufficient labor and human effort to the act of wealth production to justify the enormous amounts of wealth they are accumulating as a result of often having been born into wealth?

You might envision the owners as being valiant, self-made, innovative, industrious Hank Reardens when in reality a great many if not most might actually be more like James Taggarts (born into wealth and privilege) in terms of their contributions to the act of wealth production.

Quote:
And what owners decide to pay their CEO's is their own business.
Money paid to the CEO's is money that is not going to small shareholders (the little guys that own tiny amounts of stock), to the workers, and to society at large (paying customers that may end up paying higher prices as a result of oligopoly). CEO's and executives aren't paid nearly as much in other nations and those businesses seem to be functioning.

At issue is whether the economy is structured in such a way that the bulk of the wealth produced ends up in the hands a of a small percentage of well-connected people at the top and Lucky Sperm Club members or can be consumed and enjoyed by larger percentages of the populace.

Quote:
It might very well be possible to pay CEOs less for comparable results. There are tons of smart, highly-educated, industrious, hard-working people in this country. In the real world, oftentimes advancement is based on personal connections and not merit. Also, many highly paid CEOs end up mismanaging their businesses whereas it's quite possible that other people (perhaps with fewer personal connections and cachets of purchased prestige) might be able to do better jobs for less money.

Can you definitively say that a CEO paid $20 million/year will produce better results than one paid $2 million/year?

I suggest you check your premises and question the free market dogma.

Last edited by Bhaalspawn; 02-11-2015 at 07:03 AM..

Old 02-11-2015, 07:01 AM

2,600 posts, read 8,792,860 times
As of Feb 9th, 2015 car sales are hot, this means new & used car prices are higher than they’ve been in the past few months !!!

Old 02-11-2015, 07:13 AM

3,120 posts, read 8,065,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ca_north View Post
Thanks for the link. I'd never heard of the Elio before. Wouldn't just having 3 wheels reduce the stability of the back end and thus the safety of the vehicle?

Old 02-11-2015, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhaalspawn View Post
Thanks for the link. I'd never heard of the Elio before. Wouldn't just having 3 wheels reduce the stability of the back end and thus the safety of the vehicle?
It's like ridding a trike motorcycle with a body Three wheel cars is nothing new been there done that look it up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive