Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2015, 08:41 AM

3,402 posts, read 3,578,471 times

Advertisements

I never own a car before, and I have no clue about car at all. I don't know any part or components of a car, well maybe a tire and the door and the engine, and that's about all that I know.

I want to do my research as to what to look for when buying a car. Questions like, should I get a used or new car? What are something that I should look for? What are something that I should avoid?

I hope someone is able to discuss this with me as I go along on gathering more information. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2015, 09:30 AM

18,549 posts, read 15,596,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guangzl1 View Post
I never own a car before, and I have no clue about car at all. I don't know any part or components of a car, well maybe a tire and the door and the engine, and that's about all that I know.

I want to do my research as to what to look for when buying a car. Questions like, should I get a used or new car? What are something that I should look for? What are something that I should avoid?

I hope someone is able to discuss this with me as I go along on gathering more information. Thanks!
You're going to have to specify your preferences a bit more. Do you just want to get from point A to point B, or do you want to do it in style? What's your family size? How long is your commute? Do you want sports capabilities? Are electronics important to you? Navigation? Alarms?

Any unusual body dimensions? Are you very tall?

What is your budget? $5000? $10000? $25000?

Old 02-10-2015, 10:06 AM

17,629 posts, read 17,696,894 times
Try visiting your bank to find out what you can afford. This will give you your maximum price range. There are advantages to used and new. Being new to owning a car, I'd recommend a used car of about 2 to 3 years old. Advantage is reduced value for being used and you being a first time car buyer you may make mistakes causing dings in the car. The advantage of buying new is the factory warranty and you're going to be more cautious with a new car over a used car. If you're a lady I recommend getting a vehicle with a networked system like GM's OnStar. Other companies make a similar product/service. It can remind you of service due and call 911 if you're in an accident and unable to call for help the operator will can for you and report your location to emergency responders. Don't get smaller than a compact sedan and don't get larger than midsize sedan. Small vehicles are easy to park and drive. Too small and you loose crash safety, too big and you have difficulty parking. Most car brands offer pretty good products in the compact and midsize cars. For compacts consider Chevy Cruze, Dodge Dart, Ford Focus, Honda Civic, Hyundai Elantra, Kia Forte, Mazda3, Nissan Sentra, Toyota Corolla,& VW Jetta/Golf. For midsize consider Chevy Malibu, Chrysler 200, Ford Fusion, Honda Accord, Hyundai Sonata, Kia Optima, Mazda6, Nissan Altima, Toyota Camry, & VW Passat.

Old 02-10-2015, 10:20 AM

2,600 posts, read 8,796,997 times
Start here !!!

Calculator: How Much Car Can I Afford? - Edmunds.com

Old 02-10-2015, 10:39 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,187,630 times
I am a bit worried. If the OP knows that little about cars - should he or she even be driving one?

Old 02-10-2015, 10:59 AM
C8N

1,119 posts, read 3,228,614 times
Can I assume that the OP is a first time driver as well?
If so, I would actually recommend a lease which is basically a long term rental.
Bang it around, fix it cheap and return it. During this lease, you will also learn what you want and need in car.
On your next car, you can buy what you really want and you would have built up experience as a driver and as a owner to better take care of "investment."

Old 02-10-2015, 10:59 AM

3,402 posts, read 3,578,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
I am a bit worried. If the OP knows that little about cars - should he or she even be driving one?
I know how to drive safely. Before I start driving, I would usually take lessons to refresh my driving skill. As of now, I am not looking to get a car because I can't afford it yet. I want to identify different components of car, so I can just get more insight. Is like before I purchase my computer, I want to know what's the major component of a computer that I should be looking for. For example, I know I don't mind about the keyboard because to me they are all the same, and mouse doesn't matter, while the expert might recommend like, you should get a better keyboard and mouse because it will speed up your typing and where you move your cursor etc.... I know about computer, but I don't know about car, that's why I am here to see if someone can introduce to me about what's the major component that I should focus on the car. If I was to buy a computer, I will be focusing on CPU and RAM because I don't slow computer, and someone that who likes better graphic might said, oh you need to get a better graphic card computer, so on and so forth.

Old 02-10-2015, 11:03 AM
C8N

1,119 posts, read 3,228,614 times
^ as with computers, many features are about personal choice.
So without knowing what your needs and wants are, it is difficult to help you identify.
Some people want a big HD and no care about ram.
Same thing with cars, some people want a big car to haul and wouldn't care about how fast it will go.

Old 02-10-2015, 11:38 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,625,343 times
If you have YouTube access in your country you should search for videos about basic car knowledge, that should get you started.

Old 02-10-2015, 12:09 PM

18,549 posts, read 15,596,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C8N View Post
Can I assume that the OP is a first time driver as well?
If so, I would actually recommend a lease which is basically a long term rental.
Bang it around, fix it cheap and return it. During this lease, you will also learn what you want and need in car.
On your next car, you can buy what you really want and you would have built up experience as a driver and as a owner to better take care of "investment."
new driver and new car means very expensive insurance!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive