Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 05:15 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,582,886 times

Advertisements

Why are they limited mainly to SUV'S and hatchbacks and not equipped on ALL vehicles?

Last edited by louie0406; 03-02-2015 at 05:25 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2015, 06:09 AM

45,429 posts, read 60,623,477 times
Some don't need them. Two of my Taurus wagons have one while the third doesn't. The Forester does. I think my daughter's Fit does. I couldn't see a need on my pick ups.

Old 03-02-2015, 06:10 AM

4,271 posts, read 8,176,936 times
I have a convertible, and I think that would be near impossible to do correctly.

Old 03-02-2015, 06:18 AM

How about basic 4 door sedans and coups? A rear wiper definitely can come in handy for those who live in snow regions.

Why would an suv need it anymore than a sedan?

Old 03-02-2015, 06:24 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,454,397 times
Louie.

I live in a snow region......Canada. Every car I have owned in the past 20 years has had a rear window defroster that does a great job of keeping the rear window clear, after I remove the snow from it with a brush/scrapper thingy.

In my travels I see many vehicles that have broken or obviously defective rear window wipers. The owners seem to have no interest in repairing them. To me that says a lot about the importance of the rear wiper .

Jim B. In Toronto.

Old 03-02-2015, 06:25 AM

1,133 posts, read 2,021,921 times
Aerodynamics. Air and water tends to roll off the back of a sedan's rear window because the air flows over the back glass, while vehicles with a vertical rear profile tend to suck air back towards the rear surface of the vehicle because of negative pressure, thus drawing in road spray, rain, and whatever else to the back of it. You can dig deeper and see the differences between the low pressure and high pressure areas created between the two types of vehicles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
How about basic 4 door sedans and coups? A rear wiper definitely can come in handy for those who live in snow regions.

Why would an suv need it anymore than a sedan?

Old 03-02-2015, 06:30 AM

1,400 posts, read 767,530 times
I don't like to sprinkle reality on your plate of innocence, but it's highly possible that the manufacturers care more about the added expense than the safety of the drivers.

Old 03-02-2015, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
Louie.

I live in a snow region......Canada. Every car I have owned in the past 20 years has had a rear window defroster that does a great job of keeping the rear window clear, after I remove the snow from it with a brush/scrapper thingy.

In my travels I see many vehicles that have broken or obviously defective rear window wipers. The owners seem to have no interest in repairing them. To me that says a lot about the importance of the rear wiper .

Jim B. In Toronto.
Lets take my situation for example. I currently drive a Nissan rogue and a Honda Civic. The rogue has a rear wiper while the civic doesn't. We got some snow here in nyc yesterday and this morning I drove the Honda while my fiancé drove the Nissan.

With the nissan normally I would brush the car of any snow while my defroster is on and once I see the leftover snow/ice on the front/rear windows start to melt, I would use both wipers to clear the windows off of whatever remains. With the civic this cant be done for the rear. So I guess what I'm trying to figure out is, what makes having a rear wiper on the Nissan more important than on the Honda or sedans in general?

Old 03-02-2015, 06:33 AM

1,133 posts, read 2,021,921 times
See my last post. Aerodynamics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
Lets take my situation for example. I currently drive a Nissan rogue and a Honda Civic. The rogue has a rear wiper while the civic doesn't. We got some snow here in nyc yesterday and this morning I drove the Honda while my fiancé drove the Nissan.

With the nissan normally I would brush the car of any snow while my defroster is on and once I see the leftover snow/ice on the front/rear windows start to melt, I would use both wipers to clear the windows off of whatever remains. With the civic this cant be done for the rear. So I guess what I'm trying to figure out is, what makes having a rear wiper on the Nissan more important than on the Honda or sedans in general?

Old 03-02-2015, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy739 View Post
I don't like to sprinkle reality on your plate of innocence, but it's highly possible that the manufacturers care more about the added expense than the safety of the drivers.
I doubt this is it. There are far more expensive gimmicky features coming equipped on vehicles nowadays than what it would cost to install a rear wiper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive