Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2015, 12:31 PM

935 posts, read 3,447,733 times

Advertisements

I've read a bunch of posts on this topic, but no one seems to get into the details of why you might follow the manufacturers oil schedule vs. doing it more frequently. I'm not finding a lot of useful information out there and I'd like to understand the reason's for either doing it more often or less often.
  • Most used 2011+ Accords and Camrys being sold had oil changes on average 8-10,000 miles. The dealers all stated that this is fine so long as you change the oil when the indicator light comes on.
  • My mechanic says this is wrong and its a conspiracy by the dealers to drive more frequent sales. He says if you want to have a high miles / +15 year car, then stick to a 3000 mile/3 mo schedule.
  • When I press dealers about this point, I do get some agreement that dealership mechanics who have high miles cars all stick to the 3000/3 mo schedule. BUT, those cars will all have been made prior to 2010, so I'm not sure it counts.

I'm don't know who to believe in this debate. My mechanic stands to make money in more frequent oil changes or the dealer stands to make money in more frequent sales. The idea that it may be bad to change it every 8-10K miles has shied me away from buying used at all--that and the fact that used cars seem to be over-priced in the market at the moment.

Last question: if I should change it every 3000/3 mo, do I switch to regular oil from synthetic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2015, 12:45 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
I'd say every 3,000/3 mo is from the days when oils was no where near as good as it is today and nether was the metallurgy of engines, and in the days of carburetors fuel metering was no where near as precise as it is today allowing some excess fuel to wind up in the oil, particularly during cold starts.

I'm very comfortable with 6,000/6 mo changes and in today's environment, especially with mostly highway mileage, even that is probably overkill.

If 3,000/3 mo changes make you more comfortable, do it, I doubt your engine would last any longer than going to 6/6 or following the manufacturer's recommendations. And synthetic changed every 3K would keep the oil vendors happy but do little else that dino wouldn't do.

Old 03-11-2015, 12:52 PM

4,833 posts, read 5,735,287 times
3,000 mile oil change intervals are an absolute waste these days. 7,500 minimum and even 10K is the norm

Old 03-11-2015, 12:54 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
On my daily drivers vehicles I do every 5k. On synthetic I would do 10k

Old 03-11-2015, 12:56 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
On my daily drivers vehicles I do every 5k.
I like the 5K interval if for no other reason than it's easy to remember

Old 03-11-2015, 01:13 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,684,015 times
It depends on your driving habits. If you hit the freeway every day and drive an hour to your destination in overdrive the whole way, you go way more miles between oil changes than if you drive 5 miles and your car never gets out of 2nd gear. High mileage cars are usually freeway cars because that kind of driving puts less wear on everything than city street driving.

3 mo 3000 miles if you drive city streets. I drive freeways everywhere, and try to stick to 7500 mile intervals, and 50,000 miles on the the transmission and gear boxes. 25,000 miles on the brake fluid.

Old 03-11-2015, 01:16 PM

21,882 posts, read 25,146,349 times
Send the oil to a lab. Analysis is not expensive. I've known a few people that have done it and seen the lab analysis and the oil was fine at 5-10k.

Old 03-11-2015, 01:18 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I'd say every 3,000/3 mo is from the days when oils was no where near as good as it is today and nether was the metallurgy of engines, and in the days of carburetors fuel metering was no where near as precise as it is today allowing some excess fuel to wind up in the oil, particularly during cold starts.

I'm very comfortable with 6,000/6 mo changes and in today's environment, especially with mostly highway mileage, even that is probably overkill.

If 3,000/3 mo changes make you more comfortable, do it, I doubt your engine would last any longer than going to 6/6 or following the manufacturer's recommendations. And synthetic changed every 3K would keep the oil vendors happy but do little else that dino wouldn't do.
this is correct. 3months/3000 miles was the standard up through the mid 80s when oil and metal technology changed for the better. with modern oils, even when being used in 50s technology cars, you can get away with changing the oil on average every 5000-7500 miles without issue. for most people that will be about three times per year.

Old 03-11-2015, 01:19 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,435,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWayISeeThings View Post
I've read a bunch of posts on this topic, but no one seems to get into the details of why you might follow the manufacturers oil schedule vs. doing it more frequently. I'm not finding a lot of useful information out there and I'd like to understand the reason's for either doing it more often or less often.
  • Most used 2011+ Accords and Camrys being sold had oil changes on average 8-10,000 miles. The dealers all stated that this is fine so long as you change the oil when the indicator light comes on.
  • My mechanic says this is wrong and its a conspiracy by the dealers to drive more frequent sales. He says if you want to have a high miles / +15 year car, then stick to a 3000 mile/3 mo schedule.
  • When I press dealers about this point, I do get some agreement that dealership mechanics who have high miles cars all stick to the 3000/3 mo schedule. BUT, those cars will all have been made prior to 2010, so I'm not sure it counts.

I'm don't know who to believe in this debate. My mechanic stands to make money in more frequent oil changes or the dealer stands to make money in more frequent sales. The idea that it may be bad to change it every 8-10K miles has shied me away from buying used at all--that and the fact that used cars seem to be over-priced in the market at the moment.

Last question: if I should change it every 3000/3 mo, do I switch to regular oil from synthetic.
When I worked in the dealership, I had a manager who was a bit of a nerd about these things. He jumped on the synthetic bandwagon early, early enough that I don't know if his Avalon required synthetic oil. Rather than trust people who had a vested interest in his belief on oil changes, he actually tested the pH of the oil, on the grounds that "Railroads did it to determine when to change oil on Locomotives." He said that with Synthetic Oil, in HIS car for HIS mostly city driving, the oil began to break down around 7,500 miles, at which point he would change it.

I think that for most driving, even with regular old dinosaur bone oil, 3 months/3K miles should go down with "good to the very last drop" or "The King of Beers" or "You're in good hands with Allstate" for great advertising taglines.

If I were you, I wouldn't worry about the oil changes at 8-10K miles, but I would make sure that I maybe changed it every 5-6K. I think that its overkill, but then again, you don't want to step over dollars to pick up dimes.

I wouldn't go to regular oil if Synthetic were prescribed. There are real differences, mainly that synthetic oil isn't oil, technically, but a lubricant.

Old 03-11-2015, 02:01 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
As always its not the oil that wears out. Its the additives and the contamination do change because of. Synthetics real advantage is dealing with over heating. Today vehicles run hotter by design for efficiency.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive