Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2015, 12:22 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,248,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus1ander View Post
Land Rover disappeared. It was there a couple days ago...
High end luxury brand?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2015, 12:45 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,897,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus1ander View Post
Land Rover disappeared. It was there a couple days ago...
They are all in the shop.

Old 03-13-2015, 01:17 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
High end luxury brand?
But why are the LR threads in the "high end luxury brand" forum when their entry-level model has an MSRP in the low 40s, but Jaguar and Porsche have their own forums? Why are BMW and MINI lumped together when they're nothing alike but Volkswagen and Audi have their own separate forums? Why do brands that get 3 to 5 brand-specific threads per year need their own folders? It seems a bit.... arbitrary and unnecessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
They are all in the shop.
T. Damon wins the internet.

Last edited by Drover; 03-13-2015 at 01:32 PM..

Old 03-13-2015, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
But why are the LR threads in the "high end luxury brand" forum when their entry-level model has an MSRP in the low 40s, but Jaguar and Porsche have their own forums? Why are BMW and MINI lumped together when they're nothing alike but Volkswagen and Audi have their own separate forums? Why do brands that get 3 to 5 brand-specific threads per year need their own folders? It seems a bit.... arbitrary and unnecessary.

T. Damon wins the internet.
The entire subforums are arbitrary and unnecessary. I can't think of a single reason for it. Nobody was asking for it, nobody was complaining about it.

Old 03-13-2015, 01:56 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,090,043 times
I absolutely hate it. I've been a contributing member here for years and this is the worst design change I've seen in that time. I could see it being necessary if there was enough traffic here to bury other new threads but this is imply not the case and the regulars generally participate in threads from every make and subject so having to switch back every time you visit the site is annoying given that the default doesn't fix any tangible problem. It also means that pretty much every visitor (particularly new users) who either don't know or don't bother to use the merge function will miss out on threads they may otherwise participate in. Just awful changes all around.

Old 03-13-2015, 01:57 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Quote:
The entire subforums are arbitrary and unnecessary. I can't think of a single reason for it. Nobody was asking for it, nobody was complaining about it.
I gather from Mr. Advameg's responses that he hopes it will generate more traffic, so it's a business decision more than anything.

Old 03-13-2015, 02:01 PM

Quote:
I gather from Mr. Advameg's responses that he hopes it will generate more traffic, so it's a business decision more than anything.
I guess we will have to wait and see. Personally I don't see people leaving "specialty" forums to come here, just because we have specific sub forums now.

Old 03-13-2015, 02:53 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,897,405 times
Quote:
I totally agree- I'm a car guy and although have brand preferences I just like to read about all different kinds of car brands, models and topics related to them, this is one of my most visited forums- there is no way that I am going to click on each and every Brand-specific forum just to see what folks are talking about.

I feel like instead of being on the mezzanine above a large welcoming room (if sometime filled with snarky commentators) looking over a bunch of groups large and small all talking about car stuff which I can hear enough to catch the topic of and then perhaps have an interest to join on in, I'm now in a long hallway with a bunch of closed doors with generic signs but have no idea if there is anything interesting to perhaps want to take a peek to check things out and certainly don't have the inclination to open every or random door to see.

Old 03-13-2015, 03:43 PM

3,177 posts, read 2,745,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
I totally agree- I'm a car guy and although have brand preferences I just like to read about all different kinds of car brands, models and topics related to them, this is one of my most visited forums- there is no way that I am going to click on each and every Brand-specific forum just to see what folks are talking about.
Once again, you don't have to click on every forum. They are one click away (or zero if you bookmark the merged forums instead of the main forum).

Old 03-13-2015, 03:45 PM

3,177 posts, read 2,745,029 times
Quote:
More traffic means more people find the forum useful. Since when is that bad?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive