Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2015, 10:21 PM

282 posts, read 447,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by David910 View Post
I'm sorry, but I've had enough. I was driving in a "school zone" at 4:28 PM. I was going the speed of traffic, I was going on a major street in my city, there was no "pedestrians" around, and it was, I repeat, 4:28 PM. School was long, long over. But, ok, if the speed limit was 20 and I was going 45, then I would understand getting a ticket, but no, I was going 27 miles per hour at 4:28 PM with no pedestrians on a major road in my city when school was almost 1:30 hours out of session and I get slapped with a speed limit for speeding in a "school zone". From research, apparently, DURING SCHOOL HOURS, going at 26 is a ticket. So, I was one mph above that an hour and a half after school ended, going the speed of traffic. This all makes sense. While my city has one of the highest murder rates in the country, with gangs roaming the city untouched, I am slapped with a ticket for this.

Good job, police department. You "got" me!
Obviously 26 or 27 in a 25 zone especially when moving with the flow of traffic, is absurd, but.. Were you the last one in line? How did they get you and not the others?

p.s. what city do you live in that has the highest murder rates? Three that come to mind are DC, Detroit, and Atlanta.

p.s.s. Fight this ticket and you will win. No way the judge will fine you for 2 miles over the speed limit, especially when going with the flow of traffic.

p.s.s.s. It is very possible you were going 5-10 miles over but the cop was nice and lowered it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2015, 12:27 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalSun View Post
Obviously 26 or 27 in a 25 zone especially when moving with the flow of traffic, is absurd, but.. Were you the last one in line? How did they get you and not the others?

p.s. what city do you live in that has the highest murder rates? Three that come to mind are DC, Detroit, and Atlanta.

p.s.s. Fight this ticket and you will win. No way the judge will fine you for 2 miles over the speed limit, especially when going with the flow of traffic.

p.s.s.s. It is very possible you were going 5-10 miles over but the cop was nice and lowered it.
schools zone speed limit 20 mph, and it was a photo ticket.

Old 03-25-2015, 08:48 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalSun View Post

It was 27 in a 20, 7 miles or 35% over the limit . It was a camera ticket - the OP doesn't know that they were singled out and that every other vehicle that violated the law there didn't get a ticket, in fact, they all likely did.

Old 03-25-2015, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
OP: assuming that the school zone speed restrictions were still in effect (many zones are in place for a little while after school ends to take into account students remaining behind for after school activities, etc.), you broke the law, got caught, and now have to pay the consequences. Get over it.
They were. Many people have given this response to the OP on this thread, but it's apparently the wrong response per the OP.

Old 03-25-2015, 08:52 AM

45,411 posts, read 60,592,880 times
I can't believe this thread, which jumped the tracks 3 days ago, is still going. It's been a train wreck since about the 10th post.

Old 03-25-2015, 02:37 PM

933 posts, read 1,478,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
They were. Many people have given this response to the OP on this thread, but it's apparently the wrong response per the OP.
Sure, I "broke" the law here, but I set up by an obvious speed trap and intend to fight it in the court of law. Just because its the "law" doesn't make it untouchable...

Old 03-25-2015, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Sure, I "broke" the law here, but I set up by an obvious speed trap and intend to fight it in the court of law. Just because its the "law" doesn't make it untouchable...
Okay, you may be confusing two things here.

Going to court is to prove that you didn't do what you were ticketed for doing.

Changing the law takes place in a different venue. What that is, be it city or county or state, depends on the state you're in and how their laws are changed. But the judge doesn't get to change the law because someone shows up and says, yes, I did it, but it's not fair and I don't like the law!

Legislative and judicial (and executive) branches have different powers and responsibilities on state as well as federal levels, for a reason - that pesky checks and balances thing.

Changing the signs is most likely yet a different venue.

Old 03-25-2015, 05:42 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Okay, you may be confusing two things here.

Going to court is to prove that you didn't do what you were ticketed for doing.

Changing the law takes place in a different venue. What that is, be it city or county or state, depends on the state you're in and how their laws are changed. But the judge doesn't get to change the law because someone shows up and says, yes, I did it, but it's not fair and I don't like the law!

Legislative and judicial (and executive) branches have different powers and responsibilities on state as well as federal levels, for a reason - that pesky checks and balances thing.

Changing the signs is most likely yet a different venue.
He doesn't have to prove that he didn't do what he was ticketed for doing. There's such a thing as an affirmative defense, in essence saying "I did what I have been accused of but I still should not be found guilty/liable because x, y, and/or z."

I realize you believe that only drivers make mistakes, but sometimes governments make mistakes too. If he and enough others get their tickets thrown out because the city did not provide adequate notice of what rule will be enforced where and/or when, then the signs will get changed or the school zone will be re-engineered (as it should be if they're actually concerned for the safety of the children).

Old 03-25-2015, 10:42 PM

39,874 posts, read 26,514,597 times
Quote:
I'm sorry, but I've had enough. I was driving in a "school zone" at 4:28 PM. I was going the speed of traffic, I was going on a major street in my city, there was no "pedestrians" around, and it was, I repeat, 4:28 PM. School was long, long over. But, ok, if the speed limit was 20 and I was going 45, then I would understand getting a ticket, but no, I was going 27 miles per hour at 4:28 PM with no pedestrians on a major road in my city when school was almost 1:30 hours out of session and I get slapped with a speed limit for speeding in a "school zone". From research, apparently, DURING SCHOOL HOURS, going at 26 is a ticket. So, I was one mph above that an hour and a half after school ended, going the speed of traffic. This all makes sense. While my city has one of the highest murder rates in the country, with gangs roaming the city untouched, I am slapped with a ticket for this.

Good job, police department. You "got" me!
"Law enforcement" is primarily a revenue generation function in some places. It's much easier go squeeze money out of traffic tickets than to actually arrest and punish criminals. That actually takes effort and costs money.

Old 03-26-2015, 12:32 AM

3,963 posts, read 5,696,709 times
That's why I jam their crap. Screw them. They're America's biggest gang.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive