Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 12:13 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,624,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangoarrow View Post
They are not going to take $2k off the principle and leave the payments the same which would mean they have to take 7 months off the back end. They will either require him to sign a new contract or the payments will be lowered automatically.

Recently, I was approved for an APR that was lower than the one in my contract. The payments were automatically lowered to reflect the change without me having to go in and sign a new contract.
My wife habitually pays more per month on auto loans and mortgage payments than the requested amount. The monthly requested payment for the loan has NEVER changed, only the balance owed.

If the monthly payment is $500, and she sends $800 as payment, her next months payment is $500. Not $300. Not some reamortized payment based upon the remaining balance and remaining months of the original contract.

Do you really think if you buy a $10,000 car for 48 months at 5% interest, then send a check for $9,500 as the first payment, that the bank will refigure payments for 47 months based on the remaining $500? They absolutely do not do that. The next payments will be exactly what was requested for the first payment, until the car is paid off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2015, 12:23 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,591,383 times
The only time it would possibly impact the next months payment is if they are not applying the extra monies to principle. I think honda financial did that many years ago. I had a 300.00 payment, paid 400.00 but my princ didn't go down by 100.00 instead they applied it to the next month's payment.

Old 03-23-2015, 12:37 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,687,152 times
Who knows. Maybe they did, maybe they didn't. It's not about making money on every transaction, as much as it is making money overall. A per-unit "loss" at the time of sale may still be a profit once the dealer gets volume bonuses or other incentives. There are other non-published incentives that kick in for sales period volumes, assuming excess inventory, etc. Plus all of the other ways dealers can make money while not really making money on a new unit.

Old 03-23-2015, 12:47 PM

143 posts, read 158,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
My wife habitually pays more per month on auto loans and mortgage payments than the requested amount. The monthly requested payment for the loan has NEVER changed, only the balance owed.

If the monthly payment is $500, and she sends $800 as payment, her next months payment is $500. Not $300. Not some reamortized payment based upon the remaining balance and remaining months of the original contract.

Do you really think if you buy a $10,000 car for 48 months at 5% interest, then send a check for $9,500 as the first payment, that the bank will refigure payments for 47 months based on the remaining $500? They absolutely do not do that. The next payments will be exactly what was requested for the first payment, until the car is paid off.
Ya that whole exchange was comical. I have NEVER seen payments adjusted without refinancing. I had a loan that had 8K remaining on it and was paid in $225/mo payments. I paid 5K one month and the next month's payment due? Yep, $225

Old 03-23-2015, 12:49 PM

4,505 posts, read 6,483,735 times
My car payment goes down the next month if I overpay this month....I've even built it up to strategically skip a payment when needed.

Old 03-23-2015, 12:57 PM

922 posts, read 1,149,505 times
Quote:

Are you calling this person a liar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by J1mbo01 View Post
When I pay extra towards my Acura Financial account, the remaining payment amount is lowered. The term is not reduced. When I pay an extra mortgage payment, the term is reduced but the payment is not lowered.
I've had the same exact thing happen.

Old 03-23-2015, 12:59 PM

922 posts, read 1,149,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeagleEagleDFW View Post
Aren't you the one who is arguing with every single person telling you you're wrong and yet you continue to stubbornly insist that no, despite all evidence and logic to the contrary, you're correct?

And you couldn't afford my help with a contract anyway.
So this person is stubborn and wrong too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by J1mbo01 View Post
When I pay extra towards my Acura Financial account, the remaining payment amount is lowered. The term is not reduced. When I pay an extra mortgage payment, the term is reduced but the payment is not lowered.

Old 03-23-2015, 01:01 PM

5,481 posts, read 8,579,715 times
Quote:

This is true. The only way the monthly payments can be reconfigured is if the vehicle is refinanced.

Old 03-23-2015, 01:44 PM

78,417 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlefty23 View Post
cancel that ****ty warranty.
gnomad made a great point- to make that warranty valid you have to do all your service work at the dealership where they will promptly bend you over.
Not all of them do that. Make sure to read the fine print, the more reputable outfits don't have that clause.

Old 03-23-2015, 01:46 PM

252 posts, read 387,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Not all of them do that. Make sure to read the fine print, the more reputable outfits don't have that clause.
Nor is such a clause even legal
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive