Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 02:15 PM

2,222 posts, read 2,346,864 times

Advertisements

It is a desirable vehicle in the 4 wheel drive Jeep community as you can buy a new motor and transmission for it at a reasonable price and basically it's like a new car at a fraction of the cost of a new 4X4.

I have a 1996 Cherokee and I'm always getting requests from people to buy it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2015, 03:07 PM

40 posts, read 72,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
No, they are most likely just car enthusiasts who see an unused car sitting and would be interested in buying it. I do that all the time. I will see a car sitting that interests me and I will stop and inquire if it might be possible to buy it or not. My Son also buys cars to fix and flip, so he does this as well.

How would you interpret that as being some sort of scam ? They give you cash, you give them a car.......end of deal.

Don
I think I am more on guard about scams because of where we live. I am always hearing about this scam or that scam taking place here. People going door to door with various scams. We have also had our cars broken into several times over the past few years including just recently and so have neighbors. I have just become very leery about people who seemingly want something from you. So it might not be a scam but it could be. I'm just trying to be cautious and be on guard.

Old 04-16-2015, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickofDiamonds View Post
It is a desirable vehicle in the 4 wheel drive Jeep community as you can buy a new motor and transmission for it at a reasonable price and basically it's like a new car at a fraction of the cost of a new 4X4.

I have a 1996 Cherokee and I'm always getting requests from people to buy it.
Could that still be said for one that is over 400,000 miles though?

Old 04-16-2015, 03:14 PM

Oh and the car someone recently broke into had the contents of the glove compartment taken including the car registration, insurance card, and my mother's handicap placard since she also drives that car. So I've just become really leery about people, including about identity theft and other things like that.

Old 04-16-2015, 03:21 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,278,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerciBeaucoup View Post
Oh and the car someone recently broke into had the contents of the glove compartment taken including the car registration, insurance card, and my mother's handicap placard since she also drives that car. So I've just become really leery about people, including about identity theft and other things like that.
Well then it sounds like you need to get rid of the car one way or another. If you're not comfortable selling it to any of these guys who have stopped by to inquire about, it just pull out the yellow pages and find a salvage yard that buys junk cars with or without the title and get rid of it that way.

Old 04-16-2015, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
Well then it sounds like you need to get rid of the car one way or another. If you're not comfortable selling it to any of these guys who have stopped by to inquire about, it just pull out the yellow pages and find a salvage yard that buys junk cars with or without the title and get rid of it that way.
Just to be clear, that was not the same car. The car that was broken into was a newer car that we still use.

Old 04-16-2015, 03:35 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,981,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerciBeaucoup View Post
Could that still be said for one that is over 400,000 miles though?
As a former Jeep owner, I would say YES, absolutely!

Old 04-16-2015, 03:54 PM

1,369 posts, read 2,275,326 times
A couple years ago my partner wanted me to sell his Toyota while he was working out of town. I put an ad on craigslist, and was deluged with offers from guys with cash from Miami, who all told me they didn't need the title or care about it, they were going to ship it out of the country anyway and the title didn't mean anything in Jamaica or the other places they mentioned. These guys were calling from their cell phones while on the road to Naples where we lived then, and very eager to get their hands on that Toyota. They were very pushy about it, and I had a bad feeling about them. I told them I would not deal with them and hung up on several of them. More of them responded in email to the ad on CL, just as aggressively, and I deleted the ad.

Old 04-16-2015, 04:10 PM

3,503 posts, read 2,666,638 times
You are over thinking this. Who else but day laborer working in the neighborhood or young people would want to buy it. I had an old car sitting out and found phone numbers and offers sticking under the wiper all the time. I finally sold it to a bad looking guy that was staining fences in the neighborhood. Make sure you take off the license plate and take it out of your name. The millionaire next door is not going to buy it, but the poor guy living across the tracks is.

Old 04-16-2015, 04:27 PM

44,635 posts, read 61,645,680 times
OP you're making way too much ado about nothing. You either sell the vehicle or sit on it until it rusts away. A cash sale is just that, they pay you cash, they drive it away. You bank the money you say you need, you sleep well, your worries are over. It's very simple.
BTW the ugliest trampiest looking buyer could just turn out to be the nicest millionaire you've ever met. The old adage remember is "don't judge a book by it's cover".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive