Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 04:43 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,886,289 times

Advertisements

Many junk car buyers for parts etc or even those that want to restore do just what you describe all the time. If they do not pay cash then none are the type I describe. Most will want a receipt and in most states can file for a quick title.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2015, 05:40 PM

91 posts, read 112,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuptag View Post
No clue why anyone would want that car. AFAIK, Jeeps are not known for durability.

Scrap value maybe?
Those jeeps with the straight 6 last forever..

Old 04-16-2015, 06:12 PM

40 posts, read 72,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amylewis View Post
A couple years ago my partner wanted me to sell his Toyota while he was working out of town. I put an ad on craigslist, and was deluged with offers from guys with cash from Miami, who all told me they didn't need the title or care about it, they were going to ship it out of the country anyway and the title didn't mean anything in Jamaica or the other places they mentioned. These guys were calling from their cell phones while on the road to Naples where we lived then, and very eager to get their hands on that Toyota. They were very pushy about it, and I had a bad feeling about them. I told them I would not deal with them and hung up on several of them. More of them responded in email to the ad on CL, just as aggressively, and I deleted the ad.
This is exactly what I'm talking about and what I'm worried about! People that are aggressive or pushy worry me. Something definitely seems weird about things like that.

Old 04-16-2015, 06:24 PM

40 posts, read 72,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
OP you're making way too much ado about nothing. You either sell the vehicle or sit on it until it rusts away. A cash sale is just that, they pay you cash, they drive it away. You bank the money you say you need, you sleep well, your worries are over. It's very simple.
BTW the ugliest trampiest looking buyer could just turn out to be the nicest millionaire you've ever met. The old adage remember is "don't judge a book by it's cover".
We are definitely going to sell it at some point we just want to be careful about to whom.
I do think it's healthy to err on the side of caution about things. It seems the ones who don't give things much thought or question things are the ones who are more likely to become the victims of scams.

Old 04-16-2015, 08:09 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,981,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
OP you're making way too much ado about nothing. You either sell the vehicle or sit on it until it rusts away. A cash sale is just that, they pay you cash, they drive it away. You bank the money you say you need, you sleep well, your worries are over. It's very simple.
BTW the ugliest trampiest looking buyer could just turn out to be the nicest millionaire you've ever met. The old adage remember is "don't judge a book by it's cover".
I agree! When I sell something like this vehicle, I make it plain to any prospective buyer "Cash only, as is, where is, no warranty expressed or implied!"
If they have cash, we go to my Credit Union to get the title filled out and Notarized, they give me the cash, I give them the Bill Of Sale and the Notarized title, remove the license plates (here in Montana the plates do not stay on the car when sold. They belong to the registered owner.), and they go wherever they want to.
If one wants to sell anything, (vehicle, dining room set, house, whatever), one must be prepared to deal with whoever has the money to make the deal.
The story goes that the Chevrolet dealer in a Northwestern Montana town would not deal with a guy who came in wearing torn, dirty bib overalls and boots covered in barnyard muck. The guy said he wanted to buy a new 3/4 ton pickup. The salesman looked him up and down, put his nose in the air, and said "There isn't a pickup on the lot that you could afford!"
So, the guy went across town to the Ford dealer, and said "I want a new 3/4 ton pickup." The salesman said "2 wheel or 4 wheel drive? There are all our 3/4 tons, which do you want?" When the guy chose his new truck, the salesman said "Will you finance through your bank, or do you want us to arrange the financing?" The customer said "Oh, financing won't be necessary" (as he pulled a big roll of bills out of his overall pocket), "I will be paying cash!"
He was the wealthiest landowner in the Valley.
Is the story true? I doubt if there is anybody alive today who can say one way or the other. It could be true.
But, true or not, it does illustrate that you just don't know who is looking at your vehicle.
I suggest that you put a price on it at least double what you would really sell it for. For instance, if you would gladly take $1500 for it, price it at $3000. Allow the prospective buyer to haggle you down to 1500, then remind him that it has to be CASH ONLY.
Sell the thing!

Old 04-16-2015, 08:16 PM

18 posts, read 18,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuptag View Post
No clue why anyone would want that car. AFAIK, Jeeps are not known for durability.

Scrap value maybe?
Jeeps "AREN'T" know for reliability? Lol what a joke. You haven't ever owned one have you? Mine is 23 years old and the only thing that has had to be replaced was a valve cover gasket and alternator. I have literally never heard, until now, "jeeps aren't known for durability". That's EXACTLY what they are known for, aside for top of the line off-road performance.

Old 04-16-2015, 08:18 PM

1,188 posts, read 1,466,174 times
those guys in Miami actually probably were just sending the vehicles out of the country.
I'm with the people who think the buyers just want your Jeep.
There's not really much of a scam someone can pull on you if you insist on getting paid with cash..

Old 04-16-2015, 08:22 PM

465 posts, read 614,155 times
No I don't think its a scam. When my husband was deployed his ford explorer sat in the driveway for months. The plan was to sale it by dropping it off on post on a lot for that purpose. One day a gentleman knocks on the door. He said he does landscaping weekly in the neighborhood and noticed the car never moved he asked if we were willing to sale it to him. He made a fair offer. I asked him if he would mind doing it on post this way it's all legit and we are free and clear of the vehicle. He said no problem. I also told him car needed to be inspected since it was due. The next day he showed up and he followed me to get it inspected then he followed me on post and we did in front of the office that issues passes to get on Post. He handed me the money, everything was exchanged. The guy was very nice. He was Mexican and says that he brings cars to Mexico. He was actually surprised the vehicle worked. He thought he was going to have to tow it and then fix it. It was very pleasant experience.

Old 04-17-2015, 02:35 AM

3,503 posts, read 7,502,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I wish someone would walk up and offer to buy my car.
That's really overrated. A lot of neighbors at my old apartment at least offered to by my '03 F150. Nobody had the money, but I really wasn't selling, FWIW. I've been driving that truck until I slap the repair parts on my SuperCrew...

OP, you really are over thinking this. A real scam is when some goon in a Suburban calls out to you and asks if you want a $2500 home sound system that he has to get rid of for $250. (Had one of those last week. I downsized accommodations, so not only don't I have room for that junk, but I'm not a sound system guy, anyway...)

Old 04-17-2015, 04:51 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,854,718 times
[quote=Azure110;39243068]My elderly next door neighbor is the original owner of an old chevelle SS convertible and she refuses to sell it. It has not moved since 1985 and just sits under her carport. The car is not in good shape (paint is flaking, tires flat) but she would get pestered 1-2 times a week with people asking her to sell it. I finally offered to cover it for her with a car cover she purchased at wal-mart and problem solved. No one bothers her now except for a few that still kept trying for a few more months after it was covered then finally gave up. I don't understand the high interest in that car because it needs a lot of work.

Uh, because it is a Chevelle SS convertible ! I would be stopping too.

On a side note, I never understand people like your neighbor who are doing nothing with a car but will not sell it because they love it so much. If they love it that way, why are they letting it rot into the ground ? We had a 58 Chevy 348 sitting locally that I tried to buy for 20 years.........not for sale. Finally, after all that time he changed his mind and by now it was completely rotted to the ground and I passed on it for the $500 he was asking. A really desirable car was not even worth parting out now. What a waste.

Don
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive