Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2015, 09:32 PM

2,444 posts, read 2,764,533 times

Advertisements

People who don't think 85MPH is a reasonable cruising speed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2015, 11:21 PM

1,151 posts, read 2,037,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gfab1 View Post
People who stay in a lane that is closing in 1 mile...then 1/2 a mile, and so on until they run out of room and then want to get over in front of those who got over a decent distance before. It happens ALL THE TIME around here. Then the people that aren't a-holes have to wait forever because of it.

Tailgaters. Especially in rainy or snowy weather when one should have more stopping distance between cars.

Inattentive or lost people who see their exit at the last possible second and zoom over across one or two lanes (or more!) of traffic in a dangerous manner.

Idiots who are texting or blabbing on the phone even though it is dangerous and ILLEGAL.
Why would anyone need to get over a mile early? There are times on our two-lane roads here that they add a third lane for overtaking. There are many times that lane may only be a quarter of a mile long, if that. The usual way it goes: the lead car, and anyone who does not wish to pass, will move to the right. Those who want to pass will stay left and pass. Nobody moves back over to the left until the white line "pushes" them back over. That way, the maximum number of people can pass in the available space. The remaining drivers in the left just take turns with the people in the right. I don't know why people think lane closures anywhere else need to operate differently than that. There is no practical difference, except people try to create a false distinction in their heads.

Old 05-08-2015, 02:33 AM

1,295 posts, read 1,183,717 times
No, I don't think they need to merge that early, I was pointing out how the drivers have plenty of distance/notice to get over before the last possible second. To clarify, I'm talking about construction lane closures where traffic cones eventually eliminate an existing lane.

I was also thinking of when this happens in a bumper-to-bumper traffic situation and there is no getting over before the "slower" cars. Maybe where you live people are polite and take turns in those situations, but when a bunch of jerks stay in a closing lane after being given ample time and warning to merge, and are forcing their way into the exact point where the lane ends it is not "wishing to pass" it's "being a jerk" with no intention of taking turns. They just have the intention to get in front of those who have been taking their turn waiting in a long line of traffic. There is a decent way to merge in that type of situation, and an ahole way. I was complaining about the latter.

Last edited by Gfab1; 05-08-2015 at 02:44 AM..

Old 05-08-2015, 03:02 AM

1,320 posts, read 3,702,507 times
I am SO tired of spending time stopped at lights that are either timed or cycle through turn arrows when there is NO other traffic around. I approached a red light early this morning. There were no other cars around. I was there at least a minute or two(though I know it seems longer) just waiting for the arrows letting all the other invisible traffic get through before coming around to me. So stupid. Also I hate the roads that have the signals to catch you at each one if you drive the speed limit. Why penalize me for driving the speed limit??

Old 05-08-2015, 08:03 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,536,243 times
People who are waiting to turn out from a gas station, etc. & wait until your almost on them & turn right in front of you.

Old 05-09-2015, 11:37 PM

51 posts, read 45,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
Ok, just thought of one that truly is my biggest pet peeve:

Drivers inching their car to the left of their lane or sometimes over into the next lane when making a right turn (to create wider angle so they don't hit the curb). Many times this will cause a domino effect of other cars shifting over their left lanes to avoid said car and effectively making every other car on the road do the same thing.
Yes!!! I always lean on my horn at morons who make ridiculously wide turns.

Quote:
Usually the case with older (shall we say senior) drivers with big hoopties
Not with me. I've encountered plenty of people with smaller sized vehicles who needlessly make wide right turns.

Old 05-09-2015, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longneckone View Post
Tailgaters
The idiot so close behind that forces me to run a very late yellow because I just know he won't stop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by david91722 View Post
Nobody can force you to do anything. Don't let yourself be bullied. Let said idiot rear-end you. It will 100% be his fault.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaineiac View Post
The amount of pain you feel from a car wreck has nothing to do with who is at fault.
If the idiot is so close behind, chances are the pain will be minimal, if any, depending on how you define "so close".

Old 05-10-2015, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nylonggamer View Post
great logic. have your car rammed into, jump through a bunch of hoops, waste a bunch of time to end up in the base case scenario of having your car fixed to the state it's currently in.
Guess I must be lucky then, for I have never been rear-ended by a tailgater when slowing down for a signal that's about to turn red.

Last edited by david91722; 05-10-2015 at 01:22 AM..

Old 05-10-2015, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdflk View Post
All the things in the OP...and people who don't get that if you're right up on the light when the yellow comes, that by the time you stop you'll BE IN the middle of the intersection. So there IS a case for speeding up to get through the light before it turns red. What do you want me to do stop in the middle of both streets intersecting?
If you're at an intersection when the light turns yellow, you don't need to speed up. If you're breaking the speed limit while doing this, a cop who sees you can cite you every time. Contrary to popular belief, it is not illegal to travel through an intersection if the signal turned red after you entered the intersection.

Old 05-10-2015, 07:42 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,735,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by david91722 View Post
If you're at an intersection when the light turns yellow, you don't need to speed up. If you're breaking the speed limit while doing this, a cop who sees you can cite you every time. Contrary to popular belief, it is not illegal to travel through an intersection if the signal turned red after you entered the intersection.
With red light camera these days you only have two options if caught on yellow while approaching light. Slam on your brakes and risk getting rear ended or speed up so you don't get ticker from camera. Because once that light is yellow and you are anywhere near intersection consider that an immediate ticket from the camera.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive