Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 09:53 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,270,334 times

Advertisements

If your neighbors are that superficial chances are they trade their cars fairly often. Look at local dealerships for used certified Benz, Audi, Lexus or mention that you are looking if you talk to anyone there. You need to find out if she wants what the others have or is she able to handle being different.

My first car came from Staten Island and was a round 'canoe style' Mercedes with sunroof. Great touring car. Kids can be funny about these things too. In H.S. my son made me drop him off a block from school and I was in a Porsche, the only one in town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2015, 04:19 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
If she can get by with a 2 seater a Vette or Miata would be a real thrill to drive, if she needs a fun car thats a bit more practical how about a MINI.=
2015 MINI COOPER - Image #14
or
http://storage.autonet.ca/v1/dynamic...9864933&clip=0

Old 04-29-2015, 06:00 AM

3,378 posts, read 9,210,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dag7763 View Post
This sounds vain and ridiculous but my wife is embarrassed of her car (2009 Jetta) around the other "football moms" whose husbands are lawyers and doctors etc.
Maybe it would be easier to just go straight to the people that she is trying to impress and ask them what would impress them.

Maybe they could offer some advice on what kind of car to buy your wife.

What you are saying doesn't sound vain and rediculous....it is vain and rediculous.

If you are willing to spend that much I would get a restored classic car. Do a 180 from what the Jones want your wife to do.

Old 04-29-2015, 06:47 AM

2,202 posts, read 2,304,779 times
"If you are willing to spend that much I would get a restored classic car. Do a 180 from what the Jones want your wife to do."

This is what I would do. Make sure it is LOUD (visually and audibly).

Don't play by thier rules, make your own rules. Then thier wifes will want what you got!!

Mike

Last edited by Seafood Junky; 04-29-2015 at 07:06 AM..

Old 04-29-2015, 07:10 AM

1,588 posts, read 2,316,661 times
Take a look at the Volvo C70, it's not sexy but it does have a little of the old money refined look about it.

They quit making them in 2013 FYI, you are looking for a letter model with the full hardtop/retractable.

What you get is euro import panache, hardtop convertible, 4 seats, safety and that kind of left of center volvo flair.

Old 04-29-2015, 07:23 AM

459 posts, read 1,744,765 times
What about a Cadillac ATS?

I think they probably lag in terms of reliability, but still an interesting option.

My sister-in-law got a hold of one last summer very well equipped new at the 28K mark driveoff. But she bought the last day of June..walked in to buy that afternoon when they were trying to close the quarter out.

Old 04-29-2015, 10:17 AM

2,385 posts, read 3,672,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dag7763 View Post
This sounds vain and ridiculous but my wife is embarrassed of her car (2009 Jetta) around the other "football moms" whose husbands are lawyers and doctors etc.

She is a very nice person, very beautiful but since I met her back in high school she has always been very insecure and that's compounded by the fact that we are the "poorest" people in a wealthy neighborhood (we bought a decrepit foreclosure that we fixed up so our kids could go to the schools). I never gave a crap I'm proud of my working class roots but it makes her feel bad.

I wanna get her a new car for her bday. Either a convertible or a luxury brand's cheapest model. Under $35k definitely, preferably under $30k
Oh, how pathetically sad! I'm truly sorry that both you and your wife feel this way and are having to deal with such a nasty sounding situation. Trying to "keep up with the Jones", is one of the most pathetic things that anyone ever does. These people most likely don't give a hoot what kind of car your wife drives and if they do or are that type of people, then why in the world would she even care what they think? Nothing you buy her is going to impress them, mainly because they probably don't care or even notice what she drives, I wouldn't! Also, if they are so shallow as to be impressed by her car, there is nothing you can afford to buy her that is actually going to impress them.

As a few others have said, your wife needs some new friends! Preferably people who actually ARE friends to her and don't care what kind of car she drives. You'd be better off spending some money for her to get therapy so she can overcome her feelings of insecurity. There are always going to be people who have more or less than you and your wife do. It's no way to live, always comparing yourselves to others.

I'm part of that doctor/lawyer crowd, but nothing like these people you are talking about and please, if I ever am, somebody shoot me! I don't give a crap what cars my friends drive, what clothes they wear, purses, shoes or anything else materialistic. I care about what kind of people they are and how they treat others. If your wife is trying to be friends with people who only care about status symbols, she seriously needs to get some help or she will never be truly happy. What if she volunteers or does some work to help others who are less financially well off than she is? Maybe that would help her to be happy and get her away from these creeps she is spending way too much time with!

Last edited by vrexy; 04-29-2015 at 10:42 AM..

Old 04-29-2015, 10:33 AM

5,994 posts, read 20,093,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargirl007 View Post
What about a Cadillac ATS?

I think they probably lag in terms of reliability, but still an interesting option.

My sister-in-law got a hold of one last summer very well equipped new at the 28K mark driveoff. But she bought the last day of June..walked in to buy that afternoon when they were trying to close the quarter out.
Lag in reliability compared to what? I prefer the 3 series to the ATS but my personal experience with BMW hasn't been a reliability bright spot and my buddy recently purchased a new BMW 335 that went back to the dealer less than a month after purchase because it was running rough. My close friends experience with Audi and Mercedes hasn't been stellar either from a reliability standpoint. I realize my own purchases and that of my friends don't make up the largest sample group but I've definitely heard more complaints about German car reliability from my friends and family than any other kind of car and having bought one myself despite this feedback, I can say I won't be buying another German car for some time.

Old 04-29-2015, 12:03 PM

4,359 posts, read 7,532,111 times
I would take a turn taking your kids to football and see what types of cars the parents actually drive. We live in a fairly well to do area and parents rarely drive a sports car to take their kids to sporting events. Mostly it is SUVs. Honda Pilots are everywhere. Bigger wealthy families almost always have a Suburban.

Old 04-29-2015, 01:24 PM

1,588 posts, read 2,316,661 times
I would like to add a Jeep Unlimited to the mix, lifted, oversize tires, light bar, winch.

That should shake up the soccer mom routine a bit.

Still think the c70 is the way to go if staying conventional.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive