Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2015, 12:38 AM

24,511 posts, read 33,317,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
Unless that car is a Geo Metro

I'd rather drive an automatic Nissan GT-R than a stick Corolla
On the same note, I would rather drive an automatic '71 Ford Mustang Boss 429 than a stick '71 Ford Pinto.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2015, 01:47 AM

332 posts, read 498,598 times
Manual is great for "real" driving and having fun......but I sold mine because doing the heel-toe in traffic for over two hours a day is a PIA. I now have a S Tronic with sports mode and paddle shifters, much faster anyway. Best of both worlds.

Old 05-15-2015, 04:55 AM

4,214 posts, read 3,761,938 times
When I grew up I wasn't allowed to learn how to drive on an automatic. I have always loved stick shift and unfortunately all of my cars now are automatic. Its always in the back of my head to go out get a stick shift so I can have some fun while driving again. With a stick shift YOU are in control of your car and makes the driving experience so much more enjoyable. I would never buy any sort of sports car that had an automatic, nor would I buy an automatic Jeep Wrangler, if I see one of these, no matter how nice it is, and it has an auto tranny it is an instant turnoff.

Old 05-15-2015, 07:13 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,563,106 times
There should be a federal law that anyone under 25 has to drive manual only! Surefire way to cut down the texting-when-driving epidemic amongst youngsters. You can graduate to automatic when you're responsible.

Manual is more fun, unless you get stuck in traffic.

Old 05-15-2015, 10:03 AM

892 posts, read 1,500,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
There should be a federal law that anyone under 25 has to drive manual only! Surefire way to cut down the texting-when-driving epidemic amongst youngsters. You can graduate to automatic when you're responsible.
I see FAAARRRRRRR more adults playing with the phone while driving than teens, and far more adults playing with the phone weaving all over the road than teens. And when I say "adult", I mean people that are obviously 35+.

Not to mention, forcing people to drive stick wouldn't change squat. My truck is in 4th gear before I clear an intersection, and it stays there until the next stop.

Oh, for all those "but a manual is more FUN!!!"...go drive something with an SM435 or SM465 4 speed, and then see how much fun you think it is, lol. No, these are not the same as the M21 or M22 muscle car 4 speeds either...they're referred to as dump truck transmissions for a reason...

Old 05-15-2015, 11:38 AM

1,151 posts, read 2,037,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbex View Post
Not to mention, forcing people to drive stick wouldn't change squat. My truck is in 4th gear before I clear an intersection, and it stays there until the next stop.
Trucks are usually geared much lower than cars, however. I'd be around 30 to 35 or so before I'd shift my six-speed Vibe GT into fourth, maybe 40 if I were on a higher speed road.

Old 05-15-2015, 11:59 PM

2,707 posts, read 6,234,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
Unless that car is a Geo Metro
The Metro was actually one car where a stick should have been a requirement. It simply didn't have enough hamsters running the wheel to de-power it further with an auto transmission!

Old 05-16-2015, 09:44 AM

1,837 posts, read 4,355,436 times
I'm 57 years old and couldn't give a rat's *** about " fun " driving . A vehicle is a means to get from point A to point B . Stick shifts lost their allure decades ago with me .

Old 05-16-2015, 10:22 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,539,319 times
My Mazda is a 5 speed & my wife's Forester is an automatic I love stick shift but it is nice to drive the automatic on the highway or on long road trips. Maybe if 5th gear was a taller ratio it would be better to drive on the highway.

Old 05-18-2015, 07:49 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,563,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbex View Post
I see FAAARRRRRRR more adults playing with the phone while driving than teens, and far more adults playing with the phone weaving all over the road than teens. And when I say "adult", I mean people that are obviously 35+.

Oh, for all those "but a manual is more FUN!!!"...go drive something with an SM435 or SM465 4 speed, and then see how much fun you think it is, lol. No, these are not the same as the M21 or M22 muscle car 4 speeds either...they're referred to as dump truck transmissions for a reason...

I can't comment on people who chose to drive around in a bus-size vehicle. That's your problem. Unless you need to drive your bus is for your work, why not get yourself a real car? A Carrera perhaps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive